Page 176 of 177 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2641
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    There are quite a few things being said here as truth that aren't quite true, or at least not the whole truth.

The GL fanbase was divided probably ever since John took over the role in the mid 1980s. One has to read the letter columns to see this. If you read the letters in the early Gerard Jones comics in the early 90s, it was the same thing. That is, people complaining about this Green Lantern or that Green Lantern while championing their favorite. Kyle Rayner did not start that. It just got more pronounced when he arrived because of the drastic story direction, the length of his tenure, and the rise of the internet and popular magazines like Wizard.

That said, it's incredibly disingenuous to call that direction a failure. The title was relatively popular and Kyle Rayner brought in a lot of new fans. Whether it was the right thing to do or not can be debated, but let's not act like there are no appreciators of that period of Green Lantern comics or that it's the source of all the woes with the Green Lantern franchise.
    If you could pleas point out where I said any of this, I’d appreciate it because I certainly don’t remember saying it and I don’t believe any of the ridiculous ideas you’re attributing to me. I said making Kyle Rainer was a disastrous decision in the long term and DC would be stupid to repeat that mistake again. That’s it.

Now, as to GL fandom being divided since John took over in ‘84, I can see that, but DC also took great pains to ensure that everyone was getting some of the spotlight. John & Hal were co-leads under Wein & Gibbons, and Englehart & Staton continued when the book was expanded into a team book. Were fans complaining that GL wasn’t a Hal solo book anymore? Of course they were. That’s what comics fans do. Complain endlessly that thing’s aren’t exactly the way they were when they first started reading

However, despite that complaining, DC kept on giving each of the three Earth GLs the spotlight until each of them had their own solo title (or, in the case of Alan Scott, a solo feature in GLC Quarterly). Granted the overall quality of those solo books is certainly debatable.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    You just said it yourself. Again.

Do you suffer from Alzheimer's?

Though, I wasn't only talking about things that you said in the initial post I made regarding this topic. Thinking a lot of yourself. I didn't even mention you by name.
    Okay, and with making light of Alzheimer, I'm out.

BANNED

The GL fanbase was divided when HJ was introduced in the Silver Age. The Golden Age readers were pissed, which is why Earth 2 became a thing.

Source: I made it up. I have no plans on reading the letters pages from those days.

BANNED

Gonna pile another couple of actors on the John-Stewart-fancast stack: Alfred Enoch and Rome Flynn.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-24-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

. I said making Kyle Rainer was a disastrous decision in the long term and DC would be stupid to repeat that mistake again. That’s it.
    This is what Bill is pointing out.

If it was as disastrous as some would claim-why did Kyle last that long?

That would be saying Wally West, Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain, Matrix Supergirl and Jane Foster were failures as Flash, Robin, Batgirl and Thor-yet all were failures. You don't failure when your runs SOLD. Only Jane & Matrix Supergirl got to finish their runs. DC Jedi handwaved everything away with Wally, Cass and Tim did.

DC would be stupid to repeat that mistake again. That’s it.
    There are at least 20 Green Lantern books that will pop up on Amazon if you type Hal Jordan. 50 Others with his face on it.
    Guy Gardner NOTHING
    Simon Baz NOTHING
    Jessica Cruz 1 with her & Simon GL run and for some ODD reason GL Recharge.
    John Stewart 1
    Kyle 3
    Search GL and 23 out of 29 featured Green Lantern books star HAL on the cover.
    A general search has 15 out of 19 items under Green Lantern showing Hal.

So DC being STUPID? Because PRODUCT wise they have showcased ONE Green Lantern as the MAIN one. That is what they have been doing for the last 50 years.

It has been the comic book side as of late trying to undo that. Because that is NOT a good thing if you are trying to sell Jessica, Simon, Jo, John, Alan, Guy and Kyle. Especially if you have a HBO Max show that does NOT include Hal.

That is NOT a shot at Hal. That is a shot on DC for not taking care of business with the others.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Gonna pile another couple of actors on the John-Stewart-fancast stack: Alfred Enoch and Rome Flynn.

Alfred might not be free if the folks behind DR Who look at him taking over as number 14. Since he is the real life son of a Dr Who companion-Ian.

Hehe, was looking for pics of Yrra that I hadn't posted yet, and ran into this:

I kinda like this look for Bleez..... hmmm.....

Happy New Year to all members

BANNED

Merry Christmas!

Endless Winter wave from McFarlane.

BANNED

Say what you will about him, but Todd McFarlane is good about promoting Black characters even when his own money is on the line.

Also, John appears to be one of DC’s most licensed characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Say what you will about him, but Todd McFarlane is good about promoting Black characters even when his own money is on the line.

Also, John appears to be one of DC’s most licensed characters.
    How is it on the line?

Excluding Ray Fisher Cyborg-Cartoon Cyborg and any John Stewart figure from that line is constantly sold out around here. He is getting his money back.

Todd's franchise is Spawn and that is a black guy.
    All Todd proved is this can happen when you don't give up on a character. 37 spinoffs from a black character.
    Yet according to some DC and Marvel fans black characters can't sell. Good thing Todd didn't read that memo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How is it on the line?

Excluding Ray Fisher Cyborg-Cartoon Cyborg and any John Stewart figure from that line is constantly sold out around here. He is getting his money back.

Todd's franchise is Spawn and that is a black guy.
    All Todd proved is this can happen when you don't give up on a character. 37 spinoffs from a black character.
    Yet according to some DC and Marvel fans black characters can't sell. Good thing Todd didn't read that memo.
    Yes, making Spawn Black was a “risk” the big 2 would not take in the 90s. It was his own money sponsoring his creative work.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED