Page 26 of 177 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Your willingness to engage with your fellow fans has gone a long way towards towards easing a lot of the concerns I have about John Stewart tends to get written. I'm not looking for stories in which everything's going swell and John's a perfectly well adjusted guy with not a care in the world, quipping at anything that comes his way, but I'd like a fuller depiction of the man than stoic sci-fi military guy.

I know your time is limited, but could you point to any three scenes with John Stewart from the comics or cartoon that you think best sum up who the character is for you? If you could do that, then I think it'd go a long way towards letting fans know what kind of John we're starting from.

Thanks, and I totally understand if you don't have the time.

Actually, let's widen this out to everyone in the thread. What are THREE moments, stories or images that you think best sum up who John Stewart is.

For me, it's his introduction scene in the O'Neil/Adams run with the racist cops. One of the best intros in superhero comics ever.

Second, would be the "Mind War" issue of GL: Mosiac in which we get the definitive John vs. Hal story, particularly the scene where John splits himself into a dozen parts, each completely different from one another.

And the last would have to be the JLU episode "Child's Play, in which we get confirmation that John was a big nerd when he was a kid (which was already set-up with the Justice Guild story in season one).

These three moments really show all the potential that John Stewart has as a character.
    Hmm.

Cullen Bunn's LOST ARMY is, I think, definitive, overall. (I smiled when he called Guy "Christmas Lantern") and the stuff from his pre-Lantern Marine days is especially insightful as to his character. No surprise there. Bunn's a killer.

I loved him beating the Manhunters. this moment was similar to when Superman finally got to cut loose on Darkseid. he had lot of good moments on the show. They spent a lot of time fleshing him out.

Last edited by Redjack; 01-18-2021 at 01:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like that's a very surface level view of the relationship and those women and ultimately does them a disservice. It's like saying the prime motivation for Superheroes is because it's exciting and fun not because it's the right thing to do.

The danger causes more strife with the relationship than it ultimately helps.
    Some people like drama in their relationships, some people don't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh dear lord, yes, I am sick to death of dour John Stewart. He used to be fun. For too long, he's been all gritting of teeth and barking of orders because writers think of him only as the gruff military guy. For a character who's first appearance had him teasing a racist politician by forcing him to do black face, his sense of humor has been non-existent in the comics since the one-two punch of Katma's death and Xanshi's destruction. After that, it's been a non-stop parade of misery that felt more like writers working out their white guilt by heaping more and more tragedies upon John for him to endure and stoically rise above.

If it wasn't for GL: Mosaic and McDuffie's work on JLU giving the character that extra dimension, I don't think John Stewart would have a tenth of the fans he enjoys.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Don't forget the Steve Englehart run.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Don't forget the Steve Englehart run.
    Absolutely. Steve Englehart did a great job of showing how John thought outside the box with his ring slinging.

That said, his attempts at writing "black dialogue" was pretty painful at times.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Preview page from FS: Shazam

If that's future state, isn't John Stewart powerless? Unless that's probably before whatever happened with the GLC.

Although, John isn't shown in the preview, at least he's being acknowledged with other writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    If that's future state, isn't John Stewart powerless? Unless that's probably before whatever happened with the GLC.

Although, John isn't shown in the preview, at least he's being acknowledged with other writers.
    I think it's the transmission from when the battery went down. Shazam takes place 6 years before Last Lanterns, which takes place well after the battery actually fell.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think it's the transmission from when the battery went down. Shazam takes place 6 years before Last Lanterns, which takes place well after the battery actually fell.
    I have no idea what this is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I have no idea what this is referring to.
    I was referring to the Future State timeline they released:

I assumed since in the panel John's transmission cuts out and he's requesting immediate back up, and by the time we get to Lost Lanterns they're already ring-less, that Shazam must take place around the time the central battery stopped working.

now I'm not so sure....
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-18-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was referring to the Future State timeline they released:

I assumed since in the panel John's transmission is cuts out and he's requesting immediate back up, and by the time we get to Lost Lanterns they're already ring-less, that Shazam must take place around the time the central battery stopped working.

now I'm not so sure....
    yep. i understood you. i wouldn't read too much into it. =)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

You'd think DC would've learned their lesson by now when it comes to assigning dates/times to anything...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You'd think DC would've learned their lesson by now when it comes to assigning dates/times to anything...
    You'd think.

BANNED

Hmm.

Cullen Bunn's LOST ARMY is, I think, definitive, overall. (I smiled when he called Guy "Christmas Lantern") and the stuff from his pre-Lantern Marine days is especially insightful as to his character. No surprise there. Bunn's a killer.

I loved him beating the Manhunters. this moment was similar to when Superman finally got to cut loose on Darkseid. he had lot of good moments on the show. They spent a lot of time fleshing him out.

Yeah, I also liked what Bunn did, just disappointed it got derailed. If y'all haven't read his book The Sixth Gun, you're missing out.

BANNED

Hmm.

No one recites the oath the way John Stewart does