Page 29 of 177 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I think all my favorite John moments come from Engleharts run. Can't think of a top 3 atm.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    My top 3:

Static and Black Superman
    Like just about every millennial, the Justice League/Justice League: Unlimited iteration of John Stewart was my introduction to not just John but the Green Lantern concept, period. so that's been my blueprint for his character a grip. the moment that actually defined that character for me, as a kid who didn't know comics, was his guest appearance on State Shock in the episode "Fallen Hero". This was the episode that really cemented John as what I could only describe as "black Superman" in my little brain. Static was my avatar to superheroes, so seeing how much Static respected and looked up to John made him feel so grand and aspirational to me. Then seeing them teaming up, Static super charging John's ring to take down Sinestro, and then capping it off with The Oath? it was so iconic to me. this was also the first time I heard, not just the Green Lantern oath, but the first time I'd ever heard a legit superhero oath ever. that wasn't like a parody one on a different show, ya know? Phil LaMarr is the GOAT.

Mosaic #5
    GL: Mosiac is in pretty much my IDEAL John. I loved how confident and cerebral John was during this series. this was definitely John at his most artsy, philosophical, and weird, which is why I love it. they really swung for something out there for this take. I think this run is what defined John as an architect for me. smart, cultured, socially conscious, doesn't wear gloves, and plays a piano. I was kinda pretentious ngl but i think that led it to some cool ideas and concepts. the only downside is it's written by a horrible person, which all but guarantees this legitimately compelling take gets buried, and ruining it's rereadability for me. The one issue I actually do revisit from time to time is the John vs. Hal story. I love that John beats Hal with code switching. no disrespect to Hal but it felt like John beating and exorcising white mediocrity in a way; not calling him mediocre, I mean white mediocrity as a concept. It starts with him having Hal envy, white idealism, and it ends with him using all parts of himself, a spectrum of blackness, to overcome that inferiority complex. I dug it.

Talks with the Ganthet
    I really liked Venditti's run with John from Green Lantern Corps all the way through Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps. while he did lean into the militaristic side of John, I like that he still had a character to him and we see his ability to lead progress from GLC to H&GLC. The moments that really defined John for me were his interactions with the Ganthet and the other Guardians. Venditti really made John as the leader of the Corps feel like an equal to the Guardians, in respect and authority if nothing else, within the Green Lantern ecosystem. Whether it be them advising him or him straight up letting them know "look, I'm here to keep y'all lil bloompa loompas in line", it felt like they respected John's authority and his leadership over the rest of the Corps. if we're never gonna get to see John as an actual Guardian again, then seeing him be the one Lantern the Guardians acknowledge and respect as a peer (almost like they're grooming a colleague) is the next best thing. I can see Ganthet and John actually chilling outside of Lantern work, just picking each other's brain and exchanging culture. it makes moments with the Guardians from before, like when they teach him how to use the language of the spheres against Fernus in 90's JLA, feel more significant to me.
    Absolutely agree with all these moments. GL Mosaic’s John vs Hal fight is just so damn great and reconstructed John into something really special that no one else but McDuffie ever came close to.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Can’t wait to see these two working together starting in March (infinite Frontier not the new ongoing).

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Honestly I really like that from Snyder’s run, Scott was a cool guy and it was nice seeing him and John again like old times.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-21-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Have folks heard about Justice League: Mortal?

It was a Justice League film that was supposed to be directed by George Miller (Mad Max), but it got nixed when Australia didn't issue it a tax credit. It also ran into production issues because a writer's strike was going on while it was being put together. Miller's vision was to have it be an epic on the level of The Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, Columbus Short was offered the role of Green Lantern, but he turned it down, and Common was later cast in the role.

BANNED

So I looked at Redjack's interview yesterday. I thought it was really good. And the things he was saying is straightforward. He even brought up really good points about missing the different sides of John and how different he is in the JL/JLU version. It also seems like the other lanterns being put on the book wasn't his idea, but rather the editorial. His pitch involved a real John Stewart solo title, being by himself. And he mentioned that, even though other lantern characters will appear in the book, it doesn't conflict with the initial plans he has for moving John forward. So this is all reassuring.

Here's the interview:

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Here's the interview:

You know I got to say from this interview I really appreciate his view point on the green lantern corps as a whole, they are all The Green Lantern when focused on doesn’t mean the others are any less special when you focus on a particular one, I say this as someone who really likes all the earth based green lanterns (including Alan Scott).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I got to say from this interview I really appreciate his view point on the green lantern corps as a whole, they are all The Green Lantern when focused on doesn’t mean the others are any less special when you focus on a particular one, I say this as someone who really likes all the earth based green lanterns (including Alan Scott).
    I really like how he pointed that out. Every fan of a certain lantern thinks said lantern is the greatest. A writer with a preference would define a lantern character they're writing as The Green Lantern. It's all from different perspectives.