Page 41 of 177 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Alright so question, did people like the John Ridley story in the valentine's day one-shot? Yes he referenced Xanshi again which I know some people hate, I just accept it like any bad thing that happened in a characters history, but most of the story was actually Ridley looking back at the last time we met Fatality, when she got freed from her Star Sapphire ring and revealed that she was brainwashed, and when the star sapphires come back for her and it draws in John it goes into questioning free will even if it stopped her from being a revenge seeking murderer. Personally I thought it was okay, I don't think its a necessarily healthy relationship for John to be in but I did at least like their history and the story told here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John and Fatality together are so toxic. Haven't read the story but at least one writer acknowledges Jenson's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Zdarsky and Mendonca is an instant buy.
    What are some known works by Zdarsky? I don't think I ever read comics written by him before.

Miguel Mendonca's artwork is amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright so question, did people like the John Ridley story in the valentine's day one-shot? Yes he referenced Xanshi again which I know some people hate, I just accept it like any bad thing that happened in a characters history, but most of the story was actually Ridley looking back at the last time we met Fatality, when she got freed from her Star Sapphire ring and revealed that she was brainwashed, and when the star sapphires come back for her and it draws in John it goes into questioning free will even if it stopped her from being a revenge seeking murderer. Personally I thought it was okay, I don't think its a necessarily healthy relationship for John to be in but I did at least like their history and the story told here.
    I haven't picked it up yet. I'm going to buy it in digital and get the comic (since I like supporting John Stewart). So that would mean that John Ridley actually took the time to do some research in Van Jensen's run. That's really good that he's done that. It's nice to see current writers acknowledging previous writers' work. Regardless how good the quality is in this valentines day special, you have a high profile writer seemingly has some interest in writing John Stewart. That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    John and Fatality together are so toxic. Haven't read the story but at least one writer acknowledges Jenson's run.
    Exactly!! That's a real good sign. I'm hoping other writers follow through. Writer acknowledging previous stories is very essential to building a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly!! That's a real good sign. I'm hoping other writers follow through. Writer acknowledging previous stories is very essential to building a character.
    I mean I will say this about Ridley, for better or worse he likes to take continuity from the various eras of DC, no matter how ridiculous, and use it to tell a narrative story/history. At least that’s what I take away when reading his The Other History of the DC Universe miniseries.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I mean I will say this about Ridley, for better or worse he likes to take continuity from the various eras of DC, no matter how ridiculous, and use it to tell a narrative story/history. At least that’s what I take away when reading his The Other History of the DC Universe miniseries.
    Yea, I just wished other writers and DC management done this more. But it can come at a cost, like telling the Xanshi incident. At least when Van Jensen told the story again, he didn't make it as bad as it once was, though.

Yea, I just wished other writers and DC management done this more. But it can come at a cost, like telling the Xanshi incident. At least when Van Jensen told the story again, he didn't make it as bad as it once was, though.
    I mean unfortunately there are a lot of moments in comics that make heroes we like look bad, John and Xanshi, Hal and Parallax, Batman and Tower of Babel , Wally West and heroes in crisis, all of identity crisis, and etc. sometimes heroes just get that one story that leaves a permanent scar and we can do nothing about it but accept it happened and move on.
    Words to live by.

What are some known works by Zdarsky? I don't think I ever read comics written by him before.

He’s over at Marvel, that’s where he really took off. He’s also on Sex Criminals which I have not read. He’s writing Daredevil right now which a lot of people are loving. His Spectacular Spider-Man after Peter outs himself to Jameson is very well liked, his Two-in-One mini about Ben, Johnny, and Doom looking for the Richards Family is also really well liked. He’s very much an up and comer in the public eye like Ewing was despite having been in the industry a while.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just finished issue 2 and I can't possibly give the story enough praise. RJ wasn't messing around when he said we would see how ruthless John was in this issue. Really can't wait for April now and yes I'm kicking myself that I didn't figure out who The God in Red really was. Hoping for a long and glorious run for the new series.

I mean unfortunately there are a lot of moments in comics that make heroes we like look bad, John and Xanshi, Hal and Parallax, Batman and Tower of Babel , Wally West and heroes in crisis, all of identity crisis, and etc. sometimes heroes just get that one story that leaves a permanent scar and we can do nothing about it but accept it happened and move on.
    Good points. That's really the nature of heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s over at Marvel, that’s where he really took off. He’s also on Sex Criminals which I have not read. He’s writing Daredevil right now which a lot of people are loving. His Spectacular Spider-Man after Peter outs himself to Jameson is very well liked, his Two-in-One mini about Ben, Johnny, and Doom looking for the Richards Family is also really well liked. He’s very much an up and comer in the public eye like Ewing was despite having been in the industry a while.
    Interesting, so he's more of a Marvel writer?

I'm also wondering why is DC prioritizing Justice League: Last Ride to be released in digital format first, over paperback being released at a later date? I wonder whether it has something with the pandemic, or the new GM wants digital comics to be pushed more to appeal to other newcomers in the market.

Ultimate Member

Pretty started on Image's Sex Criminals.

He did Archie's Jughead reboot series.

Then went to Marvel.

I'm also wondering why is DC prioritizing Justice League: Last Ride to be released in digital format first, over paperback being released at a later date?
    I suspect that is a quality control and pay issue. Your creative team knows how many issues they are getting. Instead of having yet another book (with Batman) crowd the shelves till they reach the bins-by pass that and eventually toss out the trade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Yes, it's a toxic relationship that has been idealized in the way you'd see it handled on a teen drama film or show like 50 Shades of Grey, Twilight, or The Vampire Diaries or one of the spinoffs of that.

As much as I like John with a beautiful woman, I can't support something like that, anymore than I can with the earlier examples. I also can't see how a company would support it, since you'd have to totally change everything to make it work in any adaptation, so what's the point in investing in it as is?

I read the Valentine's Day special. Ridley at least acknowledges how problematic the Zamorrons/Star Sapphires are when it comes to consent, but he leaves the door open to a relationship by saying, "Hey, people can't help how they feel, and it's complicated." True, but that's what perpetuates toxic relationship cycles...

BANNED

I loved the second issue of FS. Really solidifies John's main character traits, which is to say that it's a good intro to who John is at his core.

John's also got a cool new nickname he can add to his resume.

Redjack wasn't kidding when he said he liked referencing less well known elements of the DCU. I had to look a couple of things up. I guess we might see some of those elements introduced in the present.

Also, we'll have to look out for red herrings with this guy, haha