Page 50 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Yes, this is how comics that have a shared universe works. Concepts that may start in one title bleeds into others, with writers putting their own unique perspective upon them.

One of the main problems with the Green Lantern book was how isolated it felt. I am definitely onboard with RJ expanding the cosmic DC universe, and giving a new twist on how the GLC fits into it.

For me, if I want an isolated DC book, I'll enjoy the Legion.
    Yeah I agree, seeing concepts shared between series and characters is why I love reading dc. I think I would be annoyed if the space police that is the Green Lantern Corps just flat out ignored the growing cosmic government, it would feel disjointed.

Also I would just like to from what I have seen that I actually really like John, Simon, Keli, and Jo and am glad that they are being included in this new ongoing and I can't wait to see how they are expanded on from their past series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Got a link to the interview? Sounds fascinating. DC seems to be making a push to flesh out their cosmic space which makes me happy. It’s always felt underserved compared to Marvel Cosmic.
    It depends on the writer/era. I mean, DC Cosmic was pretty great around the Post-Crisis/Rann-Thanagar era in my opinion while Marvel Cosmic was in dire straits during the post-DnA Guardians era.
    I wonder if we’ll get any info on how GL jurisdiction actually works. Can a planet choose whether or not to allow the GLs to police their “zone” or do the Guardians just muscle their way in? There’s never really been much exploration of how the GLs “work” beyond the Guardians deciding they wanted to police the cosmos, failed with the Manhunters, and then the GLC as formed and everyone pretty much just accepted them as the law. If the upcoming story is going to be taking a look at how the GLs work, I hope that’s a topic that does get explored.
    I kind of assume the GL's have impunity to enforce their law on any planets. It's not like there's much most galactic civilizations have that can really push them away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Linking the Green Lantern Corps to the United Planets would be a genius stroke IMO.

When you think about it, which laws are the Green Lanterns enforcing? Who decides those laws? Are those laws acceptable to such diverse cultures if they don't have a say in them?

Maybe one of the reasons we got so many war of light stories is because the policing aspect hasn't been fleshed out properly.
    I assumed the Guardians came up with the laws as a general guideline for the universe.

We haven't really gotten a War of Light story in a while.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assumed the Guardians came up with the laws as a general guideline for the universe.

I doubt those laws would be universally accepted, since it doesn't seem like the people they police have any say over those laws. Why should France legislate what happens in the UK?

Green Lantern war stories are more common than policing stories. Maybe not light wars, but we did see them take on the Darkstars not too long ago.

I doubt those laws would be universally accepted, since it doesn't seem like the people they police have any say over those laws. Why should France legislate what happens in the UK?

Green Lantern war stories are more common than policing stories. Maybe not light wars, but we did see them take on the Darkstars not too long ago.
    There may be a lot of universal politics involved in DC Cosmic

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It depends on the writer/era. I mean, DC Cosmic was pretty great around the Post-Crisis/Rann-Thanagar era in my opinion while Marvel Cosmic was in dire straits during the post-DnA Guardians era.

I kind of assume the GL's have impunity to enforce their law on any planets. It's not like there's much most galactic civilizations have that can really push them away.

That right there sounds like a fascinating story. Do the Guardians limit how technologically advanced a civilization can become so they don’t pose a threat to the status quo?

Hell the one huge story that I’m shocked no one has done: how do alien civilizations that have served honorably as GLs for millennia feel about humans showing up yesterday, getting special treatment in how they get multiple GLs for one planet in comparison to other sectors with thousands of worlds having to make do with just one GL for all? And said human GLs have basically taken over all the leadership positions in the Corps these days. Like that is some seriously interesting space politics stuff, it’s the equivalent of North Korea taking over from America as the world’s new superpower in like 5 years. It’s insane that no one has dug into that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

That right there sounds like a fascinating story. Do the Guardians limit how technologically advanced a civilization can become so they don’t pose a threat to the status quo?

Hell the one huge story that I’m shocked no one has done: how do alien civilizations that have served honorably as GLs for millennia feel about humans showing up yesterday, getting special treatment in how they get multiple GLs for one planet in comparison to other sectors with thousands of worlds having to make do with just one GL for all? And said human GLs have basically taken over all the leadership positions in the Corps these days. Like that is some seriously interesting space politics stuff, it’s the equivalent of North Korea taking over from America as the world’s new superpower in like 5 years. It’s insane that no one has dug into that.
    This is actually kind of like the plot to Mass Effect and idea of human supremacy in order to maintain human security over other alien races. Humans deserve the side-eye they get in that series.

I mean, they're the Guardians of the Universe, not the Guardians of a single sector of space. I feel like the galaxy was chaotic and crazy enough that most races embraced having the GLC around.
    Do the Darkstars count? I guess they're kind of an anti-GL group like the Sinestro Corps.

Does the fight with Zod count as a "war?"

Jessica and Simon's book was 90% GL policing. Ditto Morrison's GL.
    That sounds like something the Johns Guardians would've done.
    I feel like there was something during the Johns run where the aliens were dismissive of the human GL's and how close they were to each other.

BANNED

Yeah, I really can't imagine people here would feel comfortable with ultra powerful aliens coming here and imposing laws on us without our say.

Colonies rebel all the time even though colonizers brought order or institutions.

BANNED

A big reason for competing police forces in the franchise could be that there is a question of legitimacy.

Yeah, I really can't imagine people here would feel comfortable with ultra powerful aliens coming here and imposing laws on us without our say.

Colonies rebel all the time even though colonizers brought order or institutions.
    They're very effective though .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Same here! Green Lantern does have a lot of potential to build upon the cosmic side of DC.
    Hopefully, perhaps two cosmic books will develop with GL as the core of a cosmic line.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I agree, seeing concepts shared between series and characters is why I love reading dc. I think I would be annoyed if the space police that is the Green Lantern Corps just flat out ignored the growing cosmic government, it would feel disjointed.
    This is one of the things I love about silver & bronze age Marvel before the editors became territorial since the 1990's. One of the prime reasons I enjoy the MCU.

Also I would just like to from what I have seen that I actually really like John, Simon, Keli, and Jo and am glad that they are being included in this new ongoing and I can't wait to see how they are expanded on from their past series.
    This line-up is very refreshing. Quite literally diversity done right!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This line-up is very refreshing. Quite literally diversity done right!
    I mean I like them, plus some of them could use the push. I love Jessica Cruz and all but Simon has pretty much been tossed aside since their shared series ended so having him back in some capacity is great.

Also in my eyes and what I’ve experienced every character is important and their existence means something to someone. Any character can be someone’s first or favorite character that they want to see more. There may be a reader who picked up Young Justice was fascinated by Teen Lantern and are glad that she will get to continue to make an appearance. With their long history and legacy these characters we read mean something to people and no one should get to feel bad because characters they like or characters they feel represent them are included in a series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I mean I like them, plus some of them could use the push. I love Jessica Cruz and all but Simon has pretty much been tossed aside since their shared series ended so having him back in some capacity is great.

Also in my eyes and what I’ve experienced every character is important and their existence means something to someone. Any character can be someone’s first or favorite character that they want to see more. There may be a reader who picked up Young Justice was fascinated by Teen Lantern and are glad that she will get to continue to make an appearance. With their long history and legacy these characters we read mean something to people and no one should get to feel bad because characters they like or characters they feel represent them are included in a series.
    That could be one of the reasons why DC editorial requested for those characters to be included in the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm looking forward to this:
    Same.

That's also just an awesome cover. Absolutely timeless art that DC can use for all sorts of promotion, from posters to documentary b-roll footage on the league.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    This is a great piece. Really puts the ring on display.