Page 51 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I think John is the GL closest in personality to Alan. . .

okay, I'm behind on my John Stewart reading. What comic is this form?

Can anyone recommend some good GL stories of the last 5 years?

Also, what's going on with Katma Tui and Fatality?
    Last edited by Jabare; 02-16-2021 at 10:32 PM.
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    okay, I'm behind on my John Stewart reading. What comic is this form?
    Justice League #24 - “Justice/Doom War V” (2019)
    written by Scott Snyder & James Tynion IV
    art by Bruno Redondo, Howard Porter, & Hi-Fi

Can anyone recommend some good GL stories of the last 10 years?
    The two issues of Future State released earlier this year have John as the headliner. The writer of those stories is taking over the ongoing in April and posts regularly on these boards. John should be playing a stand out role in that.

I haven't read Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (on principle due to the name), but John is supposed to have good moments in that. I can say that Venditti has a good handle on John, as shown by his recent Justice League run, which I recommend.

He's featured regularly under Snyder's recent work, but he's not the star or anything.

Besides that--

Green Lantern Corps: Rebuild

Green Lantern Corps: Uprising

Green Lantern: Lights Out

Green Lantern: Godhead

Secret Origins #9

Also, what's going on with Katma Tui and Fatality?
    Nothing has happened with Katma to my knowledge since Van Jensen wrote her a few years ago at the tail end of his run.

Fatality was featured in DC's 2021 Valentine's Day Special titled Love is a Battlefield. The story was good. It's written by John Ridley, who writes the Next Batman book and who wrote some big Hollywood films.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-16-2021 at 10:38 PM.

BANNED

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean I like them, plus some of them could use the push. I love Jessica Cruz and all but Simon has pretty much been tossed aside since their shared series ended so having him back in some capacity is great.

Also in my eyes and what I’ve experienced every character is important and their existence means something to someone. Any character can be someone’s first or favorite character that they want to see more. There may be a reader who picked up Young Justice was fascinated by Teen Lantern and are glad that she will get to continue to make an appearance. With their long history and legacy these characters we read mean something to people and no one should get to feel bad because characters they like or characters they feel represent them are included in a series.
    Yes to this post.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    J

I haven't read Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (on principle due to the name), but John is supposed to have good moments in that. I can say that Venditti has a good handle on John, as shown by his recent Justice League run, which I recommend.

Given current events, I think you can safely read that series now. While Hal is certainly prominently featured, Venditti did a damned good job of sharing the spotlight, with John and Guy, in particular, getting a lot of love.

That misleading title was only due to the insistence of EVS, before DC got sick of his bullshit and he *&%#ed off to preach to his following of man-children on YouTube. It bears very little resemblance to the actual content of the series, which is absolutely worth reading for any fans of John Stewart, especially if they enjoyed Venditti's Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given current events, I think you can safely read that series now. While Hal is certainly prominently featured, Venditti did a damned good job of sharing the spotlight, with John and Guy, in particular, getting a lot of love.

That misleading title was only due to the insistence of EVS, before DC got sick of his bullshit and he *&%#ed off to preach to his following of man-children on YouTube. It bears very little resemblance to the actual content of the series, which is absolutely worth reading for any fans of John Stewart, especially if they enjoyed Venditti's Justice League
    What EVS said on the JS thread was very misleading to the fans. Venditti was one of the very few writers, who treated the human Green Lanterns as equals. I respect him for it.

Same.

That's also just an awesome cover. Absolutely timeless art that DC can use for all sorts of promotion, from posters to documentary b-roll footage on the league.
    Just missing Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.
    I think John is the GL closest in personality to Alan. . .

Personality-wise I'd say they are fairly similar as far as being straight-laced, stoic, commanding types.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just missing Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

Personality-wise I'd say they are fairly similar as far as being straight-laced, stoic, commanding types.
    I mean outside of the newer lanterns (Simon, Jessica, Jo) I think Alan has a lot of different relationships with the earth based lanterns. Hal was the first Alan met and while they were different they had a friendship, John felt like he got along personality wise as said so they respected each other, Kyle was the young one he trained when no other lanterns were available, and Guy was.....well Guy was Guy.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    What EVS said on the JS thread was very misleading to the fans. Venditti was one of the very few writers, who treated the human Green Lanterns as equals. I respect him for it.
    What did he say?

At the time, I didn't have a very high opinion of Venditti's Rebirth run, but my distaste for his New 52/DCYou run may have soured me on him unfairly. In retrospect, there was a lot to love in that run. I think the only thing that hurt it was the twice monthly schedule and the burden placed upon it by the name, which never felt accurate to the spirit of the book.

Again, I would recommend checking it out. I certainly will be giving it a re-read one of these days with fresher eyes than I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean outside of the newer lanterns (Simon, Jessica, Jo) I think Alan has a lot of different relationships with the earth based lanterns. Hal was the first Alan met and while they were different they had a friendship, John felt like he got along personality wise as said so they respected each other, Kyle was the young one he trained when no other lanterns were available, and Guy was.....well Guy was Guy.
    Just like Jay had a role with every subsequent Flash.

What did he say?

At the time, I didn't have a very high opinion of Venditti's Rebirth run, but my distaste for his New 52/DCYou run may have soured me on him unfairly. In retrospect, there was a lot to love in that run. I think the only thing that hurt it was the twice monthly schedule and the burden placed upon it by the name, which never felt accurate to the spirit of the book.

Again, I would recommend checking it out. I certainly will be giving it a re-read one of these days with fresher eyes than I had at the time.
    He said this:

It's Hal Jordan's book, with John Stewart occasionally guest starring.
    And said this to me:

But I don't backtrack about my "Fab Five" comment at all. From my perspective, the center of the GL Corps is Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, and Kilowog. They were the team that starred in the bestselling GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH series. And what was that series about? Oh yeah. HAL JORDAN.

And his buddies.
    You can look at the posts related to HJ&TGLC in the old John Stewart thread here.

About the DC YOU, it didn't do well as it should, anyways lol.

And about Venditti's book, I might pick it up, considering Venditti seems to have respect for John Stewart.

Don’t know if this is correct but I thought John was Venditti’s favorite GL because of the DCAU. No clue if I’m remembering that right or not. I liked the way he wrote John in JL, and I thought his John was fine if bland in Hal N Pals.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-20-2021 at 12:25 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

What did he say?

In terms of sales especially with Jessica & Simon's book-it was at times a toss up.

Especially with trades-I think vol 1 of Jessica & Simon did better. Vol 2 went to Hal & buddies. Even at vol 3. And the last 3 of each flipped flopped.

I would say those books proved the franchises could support 2 books.

A GLC book with everybody.

A GL solo book spotlighting one-HOWEVER with this difference- 2-3-4 part stories at least with say the first 3 volumes.

Maybe a mini or two or a one shot for another solo slot.