Page 60 of 177 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'm excited to see solicits-- Not only do I want a tease about Green Lantern, but I'm also hoping to see how prominent John might be in Chip Zdarsky's Justice League: Last Ride.

Will be cool to hear more about John's counterpart in the Crime Syndicate mini too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh. I guess nothing is sticking from that run then .
    well, it's Morrison so never say never, but his run did feel pretty far removed from the rest of the DC universe; so I wouldn't be surprised. while it remained consistently acclaimed (nearest I can tell) the hype around it died out pretty quick too. still you never know tho, Morrison's writing isn't my cup of tea but his concepts are consistently pretty interesting, so I can see something from his run coming back eventually. I feel things like the Multiversal Lantern Corps will definitely pop up again eventually.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-13-2021 at 12:21 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Oh. I guess nothing is sticking from that run then .

I do think the Guardians probably get along with John the best of any of the Lanterns (not named Salaak).
    Lol no surprise there. But I’m fine with Redjack doing his own thing with a more classic take. TGL was an insanely weird comic even for Morrison, I didn’t expect it to last, just like I didn’t expect Snyder’s tattoo ring to last.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol no surprise there. But I’m fine with Redjack doing his own thing with a more classic take. TGL was an insanely weird comic even for Morrison, I didn’t expect it to last, just like I didn’t expect Snyder’s tattoo ring to last.
    I don't think anyone thought the tattoo ring would last, Lanterns have done a bunch if different power ups and transformations, but is it really too much for DC to make sure their creators follow up on their characters developments? like, I'm cool with the tattoo ring being gone, it's the way it was/will be handled that's an issue. if it's just *poof* like it never happened at all then I can't say that really bodes well for my hope that this John Stewart run won't be more of the same song and dance: he's in a decent to good story, there's some cool new ideas, something about Xanshi again, then don't worry about what happened before because we [DC] don't, nebulous cameos for a bit, repeat.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-13-2021 at 01:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I was just expecting the designs to stick, more than anything else, but Liam Sharp is a tough act to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't think anyone thought the tattoo ring would last, Lanterns have done a bunch if different power ups and transformations, but is it really too much for DC to make sure their creators follow up on their characters developments? like, I'm cool with the tattoo ring being gone, it's the way it was/will be handled that's an issue. if it's just *poof* like it never happened at all then I can't say that really bodes well for my hope that this John Stewart run won't be more of the same song and dance: he's in a decent to good story, there's some cool new ideas, something about Xanshi again, then don't worry about what happened before because we [DC] don't, nebulous cameos for a bit, repeat.
    As long as Redjack has the title I’m not worried about that. He likes John and has been pretty clear about having a plan for him that’s not about rehashing old stuff. That said after Redjack wraps his run could the next guy come in and trash the whole thing? Totally, but I just don’t worry about that. It’s inevitable that DC will screw things up at some point, long as Redjack gives me 12 good issues I can hand to a John Stewart fan who wants to read some of his comic stuff, that’s all I care about. I’m more worried that editorial will interfere with a good run and derail it with stupid editorial mandates or lame event tie-ins.
    I was just expecting the designs to stick, more than anything else, but Liam Sharp is a tough act to follow.
    I wasn’t. There’s a show coming (and maybe a movie) and both of those are clearly going to hew closely to the Johns era designs. Morrison’s Young Guardians were never going to outlast him, too different from the status quo of little blue munchkins in red robes. I just hope Oa stays as cool looking as Sharpe made it, Johns era Oa was bland to me even at the time. I like TAS or even movie Oa more. Sharpe’s is my favorite design though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    bummed about the ring but I figured it was inevitable considering Snyder never made the tattoo ring appear to be anything different from a regular ring to the point of artists forgetting about it. I would hope that it at least is at least addressed but I'm not holding my breath considering IF is a soft-reboot, which means DC quietly/lazily just changing stuff like that with no explanation.

I imagine what will decide if John's development from this run is carried over is the quality of the run, and how tangible and fleshed out the development is during the run. so let's not to look too far ahead, we should just try to enjoy a John-centric run and hope it's good enough to have a lasting impact.

I hope John's relationship with the Guardians is in tact and he doesn't end up just feeling like any other Lantern. I liked that John is the Lantern that they treat more like a peer than a subordinate.
    I think a lot of it has to do with editorial changes. Before Scott Snyder took over, he said that John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl were going to be the Trinity in the book. Unfortunately, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl got the bigger focus and John was left out. I think it lead to the lack of development with John's tattoo ring. I just hate half assed developments. Either finish the work or don't do it at all. It just becomes rather redundant to this point. Even if it's addressed, I don't think that would do it for me, is because we all know that the tattoo ring could've been way better if it was developed properly, given it's potential. I blame this on Scott Snyder and his editorial team.

Before John Stewart became the official leader of the Corps, it all made sense. There was nothing questionable about it, regardless of your views on the character. You can tell he was the best team player. Not being afraid to go into the battlefield and successfully rescue the Zamarons with a limited squad, while even Sinestro thought that was a big risk and wouldn't take. He even saved a planet from being destroyed. That's tough leadership. That's how you develop a character. But the problem was that there wasn't a smooth transition with that development in HJ&TGLC, because of terrible editorial management when Ethan Van Sciver came back to DC. John Stewart needs smooth transitions for properly established developments for new creative teams. And we've been missing that. The good thing, is that there's better opportunity here, since John is the lead character in an ongoing GL book.

BANNED

I wonder whether John will make an appearance in Infinite Frontier this coming summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

I wonder whether John will make an appearance in Infinite Frontier this coming summer?
    I doubt it, John I think will have his hands full with ambassador business and green lantern problem, and thats a huge multiverse thing involving Justice Incarnate and Darkseid.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I doubt it, John I think will have his hands full with ambassador business and green lantern problem, and thats a huge multiverse thing involving Justice Incarnate and Darkseid.
    yea, you're right. I just thought, since the United Planets will be explored in Green Lantern and how his role as the ambassador may have some sort of relevance. But you're right, Justice Incarnate and Darkseid is a much bigger problem and the fact that universes are being created infinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    yea, you're right. I just thought, since the United Planets will be explored in Green Lantern and how his role as the ambassador may have some sort of relevance. But you're right, Justice Incarnate and Darkseid is a much bigger problem and the fact that universes are being created infinitely.
    I mean in fairness I can see how you got there with John and the earth lanterns pretty much saving the Justice Incarnate during Death Metal. So it would not surprise me if at any point in a Justice Incarnate story if President Superman called up John or the others.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Snyder wanted to use John but of course, WB said no. Apparently there were "plans". Spoilers for Snyder Cut beware.
    Source:https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ding-explained

“We shot a version of this scene with Green Lantern, but the studio really fought me and said, ‘We really don’t want you to do Green Lantern,’” Snyder said. “So I made a deal with them, and they let me do this [instead].”

Okay, but which Green Lantern did Snyder want to use? “It would be John Stewart,” Snyder said. John Stewart (with an H) is the character who took over the mantle of Green Lantern in the 1970s, becoming DC’s historic first Black superhero. Reynolds’s Green Lantern was another character, known as Hal Jordan.

Snyder expressed regret that the studio prevented him from bringing Stewart to the screen for the first time. “They were like, ‘We have plans for John Stewart and we want to do our own announcement.’ So I said all right, I’ll give you that. So [Martian Manhunter] was the compromise,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Snyder wanted to use John but of course, WB said no. Apparently there were "plans". Spoilers for Snyder Cut beware.
    Source:https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ding-explained

“We shot a version of this scene with Green Lantern, but the studio really fought me and said, ‘We really don’t want you to do Green Lantern,’” Snyder said. “So I made a deal with them, and they let me do this [instead].”

Okay, but which Green Lantern did Snyder want to use? “It would be John Stewart,” Snyder said. John Stewart (with an H) is the character who took over the mantle of Green Lantern in the 1970s, becoming DC’s historic first Black superhero. Reynolds’s Green Lantern was another character, known as Hal Jordan.

Snyder expressed regret that the studio prevented him from bringing Stewart to the screen for the first time. “They were like, ‘We have plans for John Stewart and we want to do our own announcement.’ So I said all right, I’ll give you that. So [Martian Manhunter] was the compromise,” he said.
    Hasn't Snyder gone back and forth on which GL? I've seen reports that it was originally going to be Hal, then he said he wanted to fit Ryan Reynolds in there, and now he's saying it's John.

I don't think it probably mattered that much to him which GL it was.