Page 64 of 177 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can totally understand why DC didn't want Snyder introducing his own GL for a movie that's never getting sequels right before they relaunch the franchise. If it had been Ryan Reynolds, it would have been a fun cameo, but introducing a John Stewart that would never be seen again would be a disservice to that actor and the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Release the John Stewart Cut!
    I would love to see that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it kinda sucks, because who wouldn't want to see John Stewart on the big screen, but I can't fault them. Snyder's film was already overly bloated, would it really be worth it to shoehorn John in for extra fan service clout tokens? If it means a better, more fleshed out, adaptation then I can wait.
    I wouldn't mind seeing John Stewart making that cameo. It's probably because I always been desperate to just see him somewhere on the big screen. I can imagine John popping up out of nowhere and saving one of the Justice Leaguers. It probably would have been very similar when John first showed up in the Justice League cartoon episode. I will never forget that.

With that said, I would admit that I was very disappointed that the character was cut out. But I'm starting to feel really good right now as a John Stewart fan, because DC is pushing the character to the limits and you have people at WB like Zack Snyder wanting to use him. And it seems like there's other plans for him, supposedly. I'm very grateful to be a fan. I didn't expect there were discussions about John making a cameo in the Justice League film and more plans for him like that. The progress isn't 100%, but it's being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I can totally understand why DC didn't want Snyder introducing his own GL for a movie that's never getting sequels right before they relaunch the franchise. If it had been Ryan Reynolds, it would have been a fun cameo, but introducing a John Stewart that would never be seen again would be a disservice to that actor and the fans.
    Wait a minute, so the Snyder Cut involves in adding new scenes to the Justice League movie? Or has it already been there before the Justice League movie has been released? Maybe I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Wait a minute, so the Snyder Cut involves in adding new scenes to the Justice League movie? Or has it already been there before the Justice League movie has been released? Maybe I'm confused.
    Yeah Snyder added some new stuff.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ah! So that would mean those discussions about John Stewart possibly making some cameo was after the Justice League movie being released then. WB claiming that they want their own announcement seems like it's for the better of the character.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 03-19-2021 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wasn't that particular scene already shot years ago though. I remember rumors about a Green Lantern showing up at the end to talk to Bruce long before the Snyder Cut ever became a reality. The Vanity Fair interview doesn't make it clear whether it was an actual new scene Snyder shot and the studio vetoed it or if the scene was already filmed years prior and they asked him to change it when he started doing the SC since they had other plans. Not that it matters in the end because the result is obviously the same, but I'm curious if Snyder had always planned to use John Stewart as his JL's Lantern or if he just decided to include him in the SC for fan service while he shot some new scenes last year.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-19-2021 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wasn't that particular scene already shot years ago though. I remembers rumors about a Green Lantern showing up at the end to talk to Bruce long before the Snyder Cut ever became a reality. The Vanity Fair interview doesn't make it clear whether it was an actual new scene Snyder shot and the studio vetoed it or if the scene was already filmed years prior and they asked him to change it when he started doing the SC since they had other plans. Not that it matters in the end because the result is obviously the same, but I'm curious if Snyder had always planned to use John Stewart as his JL's Lantern or if he just decided to include him in the SC for fan service while he shot some new scenes last year.
    A year or so ago, Kevin Smith claimed that they'd already filmed an end scene with Affleck that would have had him meet Green Lantern (who he said would have been Tomar-Re and Kilowog), but I don't know if that's what they used here, since Affleck looked older here, it's possible they reshot it when he did the other reshoots. It's possible they repurposed that already shot scene, but used J'Onn instead when the studio nixed using John.

My guess is that scene is a combination of the previously shot stuff and reshoots. Since they hadn't cast either Hal or John yet when they were shooting Justice League back in 2016, I can see why they were planning on it being alien GLs until they finished writing the script to GLCorps and/or negotiating with Tom Cruise's agents.

Ah! So that would mean those discussions about John Stewart possibly making some cameo was after the Justice League movie being released then. WB claiming that they want their own announcement seems like it's for the better of the character.
    Yeah, at the time that Justice League was originally shooting, the plan was for John to be introduced in the GLCorps movie being taught the ropes by a veteran Hal Jordan, played by Tom Cruise, who would die at the end of the film and become Parallax for John to fight in the sequel. However, Cruise didn't want to die or become a bad guy so the film fell apart. I don't think they ever got around to casting John because it was all dependent upon who Cruise wanted to act against.

Cruise eventually went with The Mummy instead and...well, that didn't work out too well for him.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well looks like John is already in the thick of things.

Green Lantern #3

written by Geoffrey Thorne
    art by Tom Raney AND Marco Santucci
    cover by Bernard Chang
    card stock variant cover by Bryan Hitch
    ON SALE 6/1/2021
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC
    card stock variant cover $5.99 US | FC | DC

Stranded in a Dark Sector with no rings and no backup, John Stewart is out of options, his back against the wall. After the Central Power Battery dies, John must live long enough to gather the surviving Green Lanterns and find a way home, while one of the newest Green Lanterns, Far Sector's Jo Mullein navigates a host of unknown dangers on the Green Lanterns’ homeworld of Oa, as she works to uncover the cause of the battery’s collapse and who was behind it.
    I legit thought this cover was by Brian Stelfreeze. Chang is amazing here.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, at the time that Justice League was originally shooting, the plan was for John to be introduced in the GLCorps movie being taught the ropes by a veteran Hal Jordan, played by Tom Cruise, who would die at the end of the film and become Parallax for John to fight in the sequel. However, Cruise didn't want to die or become a bad guy so the film fell apart. I don't think they ever got around to casting John because it was all dependent upon who Cruise wanted to act against.

Cruise eventually went with The Mummy instead and...well, that didn't work out too well for him.
    Reading about it I'm kinda glad that it didn't happen. Cruise would clearly have been treated as the star in both movies, turned evil and eventually would be defeated by John. Its like WB looked at internet Hal vs John flame wars and said "yup, we need to take this mainstream".

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yeah, the studio told him they had plans for introducing John already. It’s in an interview from Vanity Fair... seems like John is on the verge of making his big screen debut soon.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ding-explained
    Are we sure that he isn't just making stuff up at this point so Twitter can bully the studio into giving him funding for another project?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Reading about it I'm kinda glad that it didn't happen. Cruise would clearly have been treated as the star in both movies, turned evil and eventually would be defeated by John. Its like WB looked at internet Hal vs John flame wars and said "yup, we need to take this mainstream".
    Tearing down one character to try to prop up another can sometimes be seen as fun by fans, you see that all over social media after all. People for some reason can rarely celebrate their favorites without feeling the need to trash characters they perceive to be a threat to them. But doing that in an actual movie makes matters so much worse because now it's not just "My favorite doesn't have a solo book" or "Editorial is playing favorites", now it's the studio that owns the characters investing hundreds of millions of dollars to sabotage one character for the sake of establishing another. Now the fan toxicity would be on a whole different level, which is completely unnecessary. One thing I always appreciated about the GLs' treatment in outside media is we've never really seen different Lanterns fight each other. Outside of the GL TAS where Hal and Guy had a fight once for basically no reason, we've never really had that "I'm better than you" type thing, let alone turning Hal into a bad guy to prop the rest. If WB were truly willing to go down that road, they were basically saying "We already turned this guy into a joke in 2011, now we'll show you why he was never fit to be a GL in the first place". Sounds a bit overdramatic, but I don't think it's worth giving fans of any popular character the finger like that. It's bad enough to not better utilize a character or not take advantage of their popularity like they did with John for all those years, to turn Hal into a bad guy(again) for the sake of propping someone else(again), but on a mainstream level now would be even worse. They would basically be telling Hal fans to go F themselves that way instead of finding a better compromise. Sorry for the rambling.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-19-2021 at 06:00 AM.

The only person who ever reported on the Hal being killed thing was a gossip site called Crazy Days and Crazy Nights. All they ever stated was that Tom Cruise was the studio's top pick for the role, but that he was making demands about the script being rewritten because he didn't want his character to be killed off. Not sure where this rumor about him becoming Parallax in a sequel comes from.

This diminutive A+/A list mostly movie actor is the front runner to portray the lead in a new superhero movie. The thing is though, the script calls for the superhero to be killed. The actor wants no part of that and says if he is playing the role, that part of the script needs to be changed.
    New pics of the figure.

This would also mean that a lot of rumors out there years ago, probably was true that WB was looking to cast someone for a John Stewart role.
    There seems to be some confusion about the timeline. The scene with John would've been new for the Snyder Cut and wound up being rewritten into Martian Manhunter when the studio told him no. The original plan from some years back was that the Lanterns who show up at the end were Kilowog and Tomar Re, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hasn't Snyder gone back and forth on which GL? I've seen reports that it was originally going to be Hal, then he said he wanted to fit Ryan Reynolds in there, and now he's saying it's John.
    The Reynolds cameo was supposed to be the scene with John. Snyder says that he wanted there to be a main GL who shows up (John) and the plan was for Reynolds to play his partner.

There was another idea I had for the Green Lantern that wasn't Ryan, and so I thought that if we had gone down this path of Green Lantern, I would have had to have Ryan as the additional Lantern.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-19-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Snyder alluding to Hal Jordan not being his first choice

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Snyder alluding to Hal Jordan not being his first choice

Based off the information that we received, it makes sense on why Zack Snyder said that. He wanted John Stewart in there. Hearing his comments, I think he doesn't want to get too much into that, because he's gonna let WB do their thing with John by announcing and promoting John Stewart.