Page 77 of 177 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2641

Wow, that cover...All I can say is, $5.99???

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    I I thought the goal was to make John the premiere black superhero of the DC Universe?
    Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I wish lol

I spent about $35 for that on eBay.

IMO Star Wars is the worst thing to happen to comics because everybody tries to replicate it.
    There are no characters in Green lantern # 1 that's specifically tied to John Stewart. He is indistinguishable to the rest of the members of the corps. he does not have any family or friends to ground him. He no longer has a day job. How can new readers relate. I thought the goal was to make John the premiere black superhero of the DC Universe?
    Stories involving around cosmic politics doesn't mean it's being replica of Star Wars. Marvel's side of cosmic is more established than DC, but that doesn't mean it's a replica of Star Wars. When you hear the word "Star Wars type adventure", I just think of intergalactic space battles, which sounds fun. A lot of these entertainment mediums has that. It's very broad, which I don't consider that as a concept from Star Wars. Unless there's something that very specific in the first issue that's directly like Star Wars? Building out an organization to help establish order within the universe and debating whether the Green Lantern Corps would fit within this organization is some direct replica of Star Wars? I mean, the core concept of Green Lantern is to patrol the universe. So you're saying that in itself is a replica?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Stories involving around cosmic politics doesn't mean it's being replica of Star Wars. Marvel's side of cosmic is more established than DC, but that doesn't mean it's a replica of Star Wars. When you hear the word "Star Wars type adventure", I just think of intergalactic space battles, which sounds fun. A lot of these entertainment mediums has that. It's very broad, which I don't consider that as a concept from Star Wars. Unless there's something that very specific in the first issue that's directly like Star Wars? Building out an organization to help establish order within the universe and debating whether the Green Lantern Corps would fit within this organization is some direct replica of Star Wars? I mean, the core concept of Green Lantern is to patrol the universe. So you're saying that in itself is a replica?
    I just happen to catch a bit of the Star Wars prequel the Clone Wars on cable and it seems that Thor 3 totally copy and pasted a scene from that movie.

I just happen to catch a bit of the Star Wars prequel the Clone Wars on cable and it seems that Thor 3 totally copy and pasted a scene from that movie.
    What specific part? I mean, if that's the case, then everything cosmic related is basically a copy of Star Wars. That would mean no entertainment medium that involves anything space related would be independent.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    What specific part? I mean, if that's the case, then everything cosmic related is basically a copy of Star Wars. That would mean no entertainment medium that involves anything space related would be independent.
    The flying cars/space ships in a distance over the city same as the scene in Thor 3.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The first issue was good but this series looks like it will be more of a Green lantern Corps run than the John Stewart stand along series that I was hoping for. So in a way it's a catfish. Why can't we have a origin recap and timeline of when John first became a Green Lantern and and an updated status in regards to his family, friends and who he hangs out with on Earth. Why did they replace Cyborg with John in the Justice League only to send him out into deep space in yet another Star Wars type of adventure # 10,000? How can new readers get to know John if the first issue isn't reader friendly? How can new readers relate to John if he isn't shown being grounded on Earth doing normal things that other Superheroes are doing such as being around family and friends and going out to play a round of golf?
    I did not want to say anything since it's the first issue but honestly I kinda feel the same way. I'm just tired of John being Corps leader and always being the one to be stuck in space. I too would like some updated details on his origin and some much needed development on his personal life.

I would love to see John do more things on Earth and just explore his character there. Like, see more of his architect work and business, establish more of his friends and family outside of superheroics, and just see more outside of him being some stern military leader.

I guess rereading Engleharts spoiled me in wanting this stuff but like I said it's only the first issue.

The flying cars/space ships in a distance over the city same as the scene in Thor 3.
    Oh. I never seen Clone Wars prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I did not want to say anything since it's the first issue but honestly I kinda feel the same way. I'm just tired of John being Corps leader and always being the one to be stuck in space. I too would like some updated details on his origin and some much needed development on his personal life.

I would love to see John do more things on Earth and just explore his character there. Like, see more of his architect work and business, establish more of his friends and family outside of superheroics, and just see more outside of him being some stern military leader.

I guess rereading Engleharts spoiled me in wanting this stuff but like I said it's only the first issue.
    Although I do agree to want to see a John Stewart origin, but there's an issue. If the book went to the route at the start instead, then we wouldn't know the current status of the Green Lantern Corps, because Green Lantern is the only book on the shelves. Green Lantern is one of the very few cosmic books at the moment. There needs to be some kind of build up in the overall GL mythos before John sets foot back on Earth. I'm confident we'll get to see John on Earth and have his origin story at some point. But right now, I think it's harder for Green Lantern to build a bigger brand if no build up is set at the start.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    FYI-while that was listed at that price-most stores did not CHARGE that price.

My store does Final Order Cutoff-I think they wanted either $40 for that cover. I know some stores here would list that at over $100.

The Virgin covers, Power Ranger covers & Alex Ross sketch covers are NEVER at cover price.

And if you don't do FOC-some of those books that you could have got at cover are jacked up.

He is indistinguishable to the rest of the members of the corps. he does not have any family or friends to ground him. He no longer has a day job. How can new readers relate. I thought the goal was to make John the premiere black superhero of the DC Universe?
    He has family. However like Black Lightning and others-New 52 took that away and aside from Hanna Barbara-we don't see his family.

Aside from Jace Fox (and Cyborg, Aqualad & Wallace) how many black characters families have we seen?

I've seen this pop up a lot bdue to the United Planets representatives scene and how some folks think we're aping STAR WARS.

To those folks I say, with all respect, "You need to read a LOT more science fiction."

pastiche

Noun

an artistic work in a style that imitates that of another work, artist, or period.

STARS WARS is, itself, a pastiche work, drawing from multiple sources (DUNE, HIDDEN FORTRESS, FLASH GORDON, etc.) in order to recombine those elements into something an audience who mostly doesn't know anything about those sources will see as "new."

Whatever it is going to be, this GL run is in no way "copying" or "Borrowing from" anything star wars related. To figure out what we're up to you're going to need a deep and broad knowledge of DC comics history and lore.

And an industrial blender because we were hired to shake a few things up.

Nothing you've read in Green lantern comics will help you with what's coming.

I promise.
    Last edited by Redjack; 04-13-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I've seen this pop up a lot bdue to the United Planets representatives scene and how some folks think we're aping STAR WARS.

To those folks I say, with all respect, "You need to read a LOT more science fiction."

pastiche

Noun

an artistic work in a style that imitates that of another work, artist, or period.

STARS WARS is, itself, a pastiche work, drawing from multiple sources (DUNE, HIDDEN FORTRESS, FLASH GORDON, etc.) in order to recombine those elements into something an audience who mostly doesn't know anything about those sources as "new."

Whatever it is going to be, this GL run is in no way "copying" or "Borrowing from" anything star wars related. To figure out what we're up to you're going to need a deep and broad knowledge of DC comics history and lore.

And an industrial blender because we were hired to shake a few things up.

Nothing you've read in Green lantern comics will help you with what's coming.

I promise.
    Yea, I agree. I don't see anything that similar to Star Wars. That's why I was trying to ask the other poster on which part is there that's specific that resembles it? Because I just don't see it.

A galactic government body composed as representatives from various species is as common a scifi trope as FTL travel that treats it as teleportation. Star Wars didn’t start that. Heck given the focus on internal politics and questions of jurisdiction, Star Trek is a much stronger influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Lol funnily enough ALL of the GL fanbases think their favs spend too much time in space. But the problem is all of the other major heroes are on Earth, specifically in America, specifically in major cities. The GLs being in space is kinda their “thing”. I wouldn’t mind getting an arc set on Earth mind you.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-13-2021 at 03:32 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol funnily enough ALL of the GL fanbases think their favs spend too much time in place. But the problem is all of the other major heroes are on Earth, specifically in America, specifically in major cities. The GLs being in space is kinda their “thing”. I wouldn’t mind getting an arc set on Earth mind you.
    That begs another question. Should every GL be in Coast City?

I think Guy was in Boston and Kyle was in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That begs another question. Should every GL be in Coast City?

I think Guy was in Boston and Kyle was in New York.
    Speaking of cities, I don't mind there being a fictional city for specifically John Stewart. I would love to see something like that in an updated John Stewart origin story.