Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm really excited that she's included! I hope Robins wins so we can have more Robin Recognition for Steph!
    As do I. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As do I. *crosses fingers*
    I've also done my posting on social media hoping that people will vote for Steph!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I have a sneaky suspicion that more than one of these series (if not all) will end up being made in some capacity, at some point in the future no matter the vote anyway, but still...

...doesn't hurt to make sure XP

They're not going to waste the art. The winner is getting a six issue mini, but the others could still get a Let Them Live issue, a Truth and Justice arc, or a spot as a backup or anthology story (i.e. Batman Urban Legends).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

In other news, Steph shows up in the Oracle story from Batman: Urban Legends #2 by Cecil Castellucci and Marguerite Sauvage. It's less frustrating than I thought it would be from Batgirl #50 - Steph has some good moments, and Babs seems to treat her well as a field agent.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaWoods007 View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that more than one of these series (if not all) will end up being made in some capacity, at some point in the future no matter the vote anyway, but still...

...doesn't hurt to make sure XP
    I'm promoting it on my twitter and all my forums for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're not going to waste the art. The winner is getting a six issue mini, but the others could still get a Let Them Live issue, a Truth and Justice arc, or a spot as a backup or anthology story (i.e. Batman Urban Legends).
    Indeed!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Speaking of Urban Legends...

Batman: Urban Legends #5

story by Chip Zdarsky, Matthew Rosenberg, Meghan
    Fitzmartin, and Marguerite Bennett
    art by Eddy Barrows, Marcus To, Ryan Benjamin, Belén
    Ortega, and Sweeney Boo
    cover by David Finch
    perfect bound
    ON SALE : 7/13/21
    $7.99 US | 64 PAGES | FC | DC
    variant cover by : Tyler Kirkham
    variant cover by : Mimi Yoon

Red Hood: Meet Cheer, the villain behind the insidious Cheerdrops altering the citizens of Gotham. When confronted with a man responsible for taking the lives of so many, including Tyler, the kid Jason Todd swore to protect, will Red Hood be able to stop himself from taking vengeance for a whole city?
    Grifter: Through four chapters of blood, bullets, and Batman, the true reason for Cole Cash emerging in Gotham City reveals itself at last…but it’s not what you think!
    Tim Drake: Tim is determined to find his friend Bernard, who was taken by a Chaos Monster before his very eyes. But this case is different from any Tim has taken on before, and the cracks are starting to show.
    Batgirls: Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown are just two teenagers breaking into Wayne Manor so they can play some video games. But when Oracle gives them a mission, the Batgirls suit up and head to an abandoned arcade to investigate.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

NOW I remember! Mimi Yoon is the artist that draws the sexy grown up version of Powerpuff Girls that made people angry

Lacking Teamwork

A commission for :iconimk2015: who wanted to see Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne, otherwise known as Spoiler and Robin respectively, tied up together. We decided on this situation where they were unable to stop Catwoman and were left tied up inside of an empty vault.
    Maybe next time they'll catch her

Creator Note: I LOVED doing this picture. I wish more people asked for more DC Characters.

Screen Shot 1142.jpg

Ortega, and Sweeney Boo
    cover by David Finch
    perfect bound

Red Hood: Meet Cheer, the villain behind the insidious Cheerdrops altering the citizens of Gotham. When confronted with a man responsible for taking the lives of so many, including Tyler, the kid Jason Todd swore to protect, will Red Hood be able to stop himself from taking vengeance for a whole city?
    Grifter: Through four chapters of blood, bullets, and Batman, the true reason for Cole Cash emerging in Gotham City reveals itself at last…but it’s not what you think!
    Tim Drake: Tim is determined to find his friend Bernard, who was taken by a Chaos Monster before his very eyes. But this case is different from any Tim has taken on before, and the cracks are starting to show.
    Batgirls: Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown are just two teenagers breaking into Wayne Manor so they can play some video games. But when Oracle gives them a mission, the Batgirls suit up and head to an abandoned arcade to investigate.
    Well, Marguerite Bennett has written a few things I thought were good, but more things I was frustrated with. But at least it's not Tom Taylor, Vita Ayala, or Cecil Castellucci.

The cover is really, um, booby, and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Incredible Member

Well, Marguerite Bennett has written a few things I thought were good, but more things I was frustrated with. But at least it's not Tom Taylor, Vita Ayala, or Cecil Castellucci.
    I like Tom, and wonder what you are thinking of him. His general style, or something in particular? In DCeased, he may have killed off Babs (in the first volume I think), but he eventually dressed Cass as Batgirl and made her very effective, and then turned her into Batshazam. His treatment of Steph as Robin is a mixed one. If he has a chance he intends for there to be more to her story than what we got. I was glad he brought her into the story. Meanwhile he's left numerous loose threads to continue the story in some way if he has time now that he's got Superjon and Nightwing.

I agree about the others. Cecil writes dialog and action that leaps illogically from panel to panel, taking me out of the story, as I can't figure out why her characters would say or do the things she has them do. Vita has better concepts than execution. I guess it was partly well-received by the critics, but I didn't like her Batgirls prison adventure in Future State. Probably it was the impossible rules around the scrambling device that let them converse without being eavesdropped on that broke the narrative for me, because I couldn't understand how anyone would have it, how they got it, and couldn't understand when they used it, as they had opportunities when they could have but didn't. Not to mention that Steph told Cass all about the nullifier, tells her things like how many exist, right after telling Cass that the ceilings and walls are wired for sound!

The cover is really, um, booby, and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
    It's a jolt to see that while reading the solicitation at the very same time referring to them as teenagers playing video games. I'd say treat them and draw them as more mature, or as less mature, at different times, not both at once. Maybe we are supposed to think "Oh kids these days, they sure love to dress up as super-heroes with their tights and capes, it's adorable, let them have some fun, but just stay out of trouble and don't get home too late, ya hear?"

What happened to the link to that variant cover?

Is DC now referring to its Prestige Format as "Perfect Bound"?

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I like Tom, and wonder what you are thinking of him. His general style, or something in particular? In DCeased, he may have killed off Babs (in the first volume I think), but he eventually dressed Cass as Batgirl and made her very effective, and then turned her into Batshazam. His treatment of Steph as Robin is a mixed one. If he has a chance he intends for there to be more to her story than what we got. I was glad he brought her into the story. Meanwhile he's left numerous loose threads to continue the story in some way if he has time now that he's got Superjon and Nightwing.

I agree about the others. Cecil writes dialog and action that leaps illogically from panel to panel, taking me out of the story, as I can't figure out why her characters would say or do the things she has them do. Vita has better concepts than execution. I guess it was partly well-received by the critics, but I didn't like her Batgirls prison adventure in Future State. Probably it was the impossible rules around the scrambling device that let them converse without being eavesdropped on that broke the narrative for me, because I couldn't understand how anyone would have it, how they got it, and couldn't understand when they used it, as they had opportunities when they could have but didn't. Not to mention that Steph told Cass all about the nullifier, tells her things like how many exist, right after telling Cass that the ceilings and walls are wired for sound!

It's a jolt to see that while reading the solicitation at the very same time referring to them as teenagers playing video games. I'd say treat them and draw them as more mature, or as less mature, at different times, not both at once. Maybe we are supposed to think "Oh kids these days, they sure love to dress up as super-heroes with their tights and capes, it's adorable, let them have some fun, but just stay out of trouble and don't get home too late, ya hear?"
    I don't like Taylor's writing style - it generally strikes me as very shallow, and his plotting is very facile. I'm not expecting to be surprised or shocked by writing if the execution is good, but Taylor seems to just take the popular fandom versions of things and write that. And that works for getting an audience, but I don't find it very engaging long term. I know that Taylor is extremely popular, and I feel like I've explained enough here so that you will know that I am aware that I'm a minority opinion of his work - but I just don't like his stuff, and I did not like how he treated Steph as just comic relief and then sad death fodder in DCeased.

Ortega, and Sweeney Boo
    cover by David Finch
    perfect bound

Well, this story sounds kind of fun, if random for this anthology. Kind of wonder what games they want to play.
    I don't like Taylor's writing style - it generally strikes me as very shallow, and his plotting is very facile. I'm not expecting to be surprised or shocked by writing if the execution is good, but Taylor seems to just take the popular fandom versions of things and write that. And that works for getting an audience, but I don't find it very engaging long term. I know that Taylor is extremely popular, and I feel like I've explained enough here so that you will know that I am aware that I'm a minority opinion of his work - but I just don't like his stuff, and I did not like how he treated Steph as just comic relief and then sad death fodder in DCeased.
    I don't disagree with this assessment in some part. Sometimes it feels like he's going for the tumblr/meme crowd rather than doing proper character work.

Incredible Member

I do like it a lot that he is able to add comedy into dire situations, and it works. I guess the model for that was the Buffy way of turning on a dime from comedy to horror to teen angst.

Also, while I can't make any kind of a list, I found lots of plot turns in DCeased and in his Suicide Squad volume that surprised and delighted me. Maybe I don't read enough fiction. I suppose no matter the plot turn, somebody out there will have seen it coming, since nothing is really new. Some people think ahead, knowing how comics work, and figure out how the story will have to end. I tend to get surprised every time which probably just means I'm dumb and easily tricked. (I could spend more time at tvtropes to learn all the tricks of the trade.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, this story sounds kind of fun, if random for this anthology. Kind of wonder what games they want to play.

I don't disagree with this assessment in some part. Sometimes it feels like he's going for the tumblr/meme crowd rather than doing proper character work.
    I guess it's fan service? Like, he knows there's a group of Steph fans, so he throws a little of that in. A little for everyone. On the other hand, no one is looking to write pop material like comics that is NOT popular. And fandoms like to be recognized.

Incredible Member

Spoiler is on the variant cover of Future State: Gotham #3 (July 13), drawn by Rose Besch. I assume she's the artist of that cover, because I recognize Simone Di Meo's work on the main cover. It's an interesting contrast of styles - Di Meo draws no black "inks" at all, just color, while Besch has used super-heavy black, kind of like Adam Hughes.

I had no idea who Steph was, at first. Then I saw some purple, then the eyepatch, then the yellow belt.

The Bleeding Cool copy of the cover is at

https://mlpnk72yciwc.i.optimole.com/...AM_Cv3_var.jpg
    Last edited by ohfellow; 04-25-2021 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I do like it a lot that he is able to add comedy into dire situations, and it works. I guess the model for that was the Buffy way of turning on a dime from comedy to horror to teen angst.

Also, while I can't make any kind of a list, I found lots of plot turns in DCeased and in his Suicide Squad volume that surprised and delighted me. Maybe I don't read enough fiction. I suppose no matter the plot turn, somebody out there will have seen it coming, since nothing is really new. Some people think ahead, knowing how comics work, and figure out how the story will have to end. I tend to get surprised every time which probably just means I'm dumb and easily tricked. (I could spend more time at tvtropes to learn all the tricks of the trade.)
    Sometimes the humor in dire situations can be a bit much for me (especially in the Unkillables and with Harley).