Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    They backflipped after production had already begun. You're assuming it was in immediate response to viewership, but that's not what I said here. Although, it's arguable that the backlash of the casting news had some influence.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/06/why-ba...cter-season-2/

They had decided not to use the character of Kate. Then, the backflip.

https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-wallis-...ampaign=CBR-TW

Now we've gone way of topic, this a Steph thread. If you want to argue further, bring it to the Kate Kane Recast Thread.
    Again, literally none of this supports what you said. Obviously they:
    - considered an initial recast
    - then pivoted to a new character

But, Dries has said the reason they did it this way is so that viewers wouldn't have to pretend Wallis Day was Ruby Rose -- they waited so as not to address the elephant in the room as they said. And of course they didn't call Wallis till January, network TV shows aren't going to book actors that far in advance of filming.

Anyways, back to Steph:

As I said before the ep aired, they were not tattoos, if people are wondering. And all in all it felt like a pretty great adaptation. Hair color really isn't a huge deal. Hope we see more of her. Yall should give it a try.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Steph:

As I said before the ep aired, they were not tattoos, if people are wondering. And all in all it felt like a pretty great adaptation. Hair color really isn't a huge deal. Hope we see more of her. Yall should give it a try.
    I am glad to hear that. I am definitely going to give it a try on the CW website as soon as I can (I don't have any tv service).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

But, Dries has said the reason they did it this way is so that viewers wouldn't have to pretend Wallis Day was Ruby Rose -- they waited so as not to address the elephant in the room as they said. And of course they didn't call Wallis till January, network TV shows aren't going to book actors that far in advance of filming.

Anyways, back to Steph:

For a visual medium, I think it is, but I'm glad it sounds like they did right by her otherwise.

Except they said they wouldn't recast the character to respect Rose's work, and to not 'confuse' the audience by giving Kate a new face. Then they did recast her, and gave Kate a new face.

"Yeah, so I actually went out for it last year, when they announced the departure of Ruby [Rose]," Wallis Day (Krypton), the new Kate Kane on The CW's Batwoman told CBR. "But a few weeks into the process, they said that they were heading in a different direction."
    Day added that showrunner Caroline [Dries] wrote her an email about the change, but told her they would give her a call should they decide on bringing Kate Kane back. Day continued, "I was just like, [sighs] 'Yeah, right, everyone always says this to the actors!' But to be honest, I was really upset about it, because it just felt like such a right move. You never really get excited, because you kind of get used to rejection as an actor, but it just gnawed at me."
    However, Day finally got a call in January, recalling, "Caroline called, and I was like, 'Yes, I do still want to play Kate! Let's do it!' And here we are."
    https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-wallis-...ampaign=CBR-TW
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-09-2021 at 09:55 PM.

ANYWAY:

The hair color thing is a bit annoying. BUT.

I actually ended up really, really enjoying it. I was terrified this was going to be like Cassandra Cain in Birds of Prey - but in terms of nods and adaptation of the source material, this was actually much more like Huntress or Black Canary from that movie. The primary source material was Batman Eternal, but there was one Detective Comics origin Easter egg I didn't realize until after, and I'm geeking out about it so much.

This is a Steph I'd be very excited to see more of, and I hope that she can show up in season 3!!!!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Yeah, apart from the mention of her skipping grades and going to MIT (which sounds more like something Barbara could've done and is outright ripping off Ironheart), she was in character. She wore purple, she says "spoiler alert" at one point, and spoiler alert,
    spoilers:
    she was actually the one who put Cluemaster away five years ago by solving his clue in the newspaper.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Watched it. Definitely could have been worse. Steph herself was by far the best part of the episode, and it seemed to hint at her coming back to find her niche. But everything else was as bad as the show's reputation would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, apart from the mention of her skipping grades and going to MIT (which sounds more like something Barbara could've done and is outright ripping off Ironheart), she was in character. She wore purple, she says "spoiler alert" at one point, and spoiler alert,
    spoilers:
    she was actually the one who put Cluemaster away five years ago by solving his clue in the newspaper.
    end of spoilers
    Well, current Steph (n52) is pretty smart, so I think it's reasonably in character for her. The episode's Steph plot was heavily based on Batman Eternal - several very specific references/adaptations - so I think that's definitely the version they're going with.

I loved all of those things you pointed out, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Watched it. Definitely could have been worse. Steph herself was by far the best part of the episode, and it seemed to hint at her coming back to find her niche. But everything else was as bad as the show's reputation would suggest.
    Both the co-writer of the episode, who has posted about loving Batman Eternal - and the actor who plays Luke - really want to have Steph come back next season!

I personally probably won't watch a whole lot of episodes of the show, but I did love the way it built to the last line of the episode, a direct quote from Elegy, which was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    but I did love the way it built to the last line of the episode, a direct quote from Elegy, which was pretty cool.
    They used the same line in episode 1x02, too.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Any on-screen interpretation of Steph is going to take more from the post-Nu52 version as a matter of course. The Young Justice cartoon did as well with her costume and also implied she was a genius. It makes sense to treat her as someone who can match wits with her father, plus treating her like that avoids the unfortunate aspects of the way she was treated that led to War Games.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, current Steph (n52) is pretty smart, so I think it's reasonably in character for her. The episode's Steph plot was heavily based on Batman Eternal - several very specific references/adaptations - so I think that's definitely the version they're going with.
    Steph's always been clever, but she's not an uber genius who skips grades, in either 1990s or 2010s continuity. The reason she was at college when she was Batgirl when Tim was still in high school was simply because she's a year older than him.

And she basically planted a massive spoiler in Marvel Studios' plans, since the whole skip grades and attend MIT thing is Ironheart's backstory, which is presumably to be kept in her Disney+ show. Now it'll look like they copied DC!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, apart from the mention of her skipping grades and going to MIT (which sounds more like something Barbara could've done and is outright ripping off Ironheart) . . .
    Originally, I don't think Barbara would have necessarily skipped grades (that always felt like a later retcon to make her younger so she and Dick would be closer in age), and I'm not sure how likely she would have been to try and get in MIT. (I don't know if MIT has an accredited Master of Library Sciences program.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    They used the same line in episode 1x02, too.
    Well done, then!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Any on-screen interpretation of Steph is going to take more from the post-Nu52 version as a matter of course. The Young Justice cartoon did as well with her costume and also implied she was a genius. It makes sense to treat her as someone who can match wits with her father, plus treating her like that avoids the unfortunate aspects of the way she was treated that led to War Games.
    I think she's always portrayed as someone who can match wits with her dad (though it's perhaps an open question how smart a third rate Riddler knock off is supposed to be, lol).

Steph's always been clever, but she's not an uber genius who skips grades, in either 1990s or 2010s continuity. The reason she was at college when she was Batgirl when Tim was still in high school was simply because she's a year older than him.

And she basically planted a massive spoiler in Marvel Studios' plans, since the whole skip grades and attend MIT thing is Ironheart's backstory, which is presumably to be kept in her Disney+ show. Now it'll look like they copied DC!
    Well, Marvel and Disney can do what they want. Steph is the hero of my heart, not of my Iron-heart

Amazing Member

Funny they referred to Steph and Cluemaster's dialogue in Batman Eternal #24 in this episodeIMG_20210511_012000.jpg

Amazing Member

I'm pretty sure this has a reference… IMG_20210511_014449.jpg