Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I adore this cover! And I hear it's open to order, so I maybe won't have to shell out too much to get it!

Meanwhile, here's my unboxing of the Joshua Middleton cover, and my review of all of the covers for the first issue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrNgQTAhMM
    A long review merits a long response:

I mostly agree with your cover reviews.

Speaking of tape on comic bags, I tear regular tape all the time too, so I use Scotch Matte Finish Removable Tape. Maybe that's what you mean by matte tape. It doesn't stick perfectly, but that's better than tearing.

Middleton cover: I agree, the logo looks great and well-balanced in the top right corner and I would have chosen that one too. Your point about Cass's appearance is well taken. I had thought she even looked 0% Asian here, unlike her typical portrayals. But the nearly jet-back hair color he gave her could suggest that part of her heritage.

Main cover: At least it's not a bait and switch - it fairly represents the interior art, such as it is. I bought it despite that . (More on that when I write something about #1.)

Inhyuk Lee connecting - I bought these too. I just liked the idea of it. The connecting elements are subtle and unlike most connecting covers, these two could easily stand alone.

Amano Yoshitaka - I don't mentally connect with this one.

Rian Gonzales - I love it except for the way Babs was drawn (more on that later, too). I didn't realize the plushy was Superboy.

Dan Hipp - it's okay. I'm not a fan of Teen Titans Go!. It's a bit odd the way Cass's cape maybe does, or maybe does not, become the Bat ears. I keep missing, then seeing, Batman.

Dan Mora - I like it. You're right, the focus is Barbara, and even Nightwing and Bruce are bigger than Steph and Cass which makes no sense for this series. Took me a bit to realize that all of the yellow is the inside of Barbara's cape. I do like the brooding Batman, though he doesn't belong here, but could do without Nightwing.

Kendrick Lim - They are both good, but ultimately disappointing. The logo interferes too much with the unmasked variant, and I don't love the anime faces here. The lighting on the unmasked faces seems so flat, compared to the highly reflective costume surfaces. As if they are wearing matte face power. I think the masked Steph is more successful, but I don't like the battle damage on that one. I'd never be entirely happy with either cover.

Babs Tarr - a fun homage, and you have good logic for choosing it.

Alex Garner - agree that the trade dress is a bad distraction and the minimal dress is much better. I do disagree with you a little though. I see how Barbara could be considered the focus, but she's a kind of apparition. Steph is foreground and pretty large, and I think the treatment of her cape is especially cool. Arguably there is no central focus to this cover - all of the Batgirls are off-center and that must be deliberate. The minimal version is expensive and the trade is imbalanced, otherwise I might have bought it.

Will Jack - The coloring is all over the map. It just doesn't look a Steph that has ever existed. The better version is the taller image, which is ruined by the logo, while I think the minimal dress version is spoiled by the close crop which eliminates too much of the full drawing. But some people might be more taken by that version. Overall the cover is going for the certain kind of attention that many retailer exclusives get. It is interesting that this is the only solo cover for any of the Batgirls. I do like the little batarang, the kind Steph used during her Batgirl run.

And yeah, just what is the deal with Steph's missing thigh belt?! I hadn't noticed that yet, and went back to check. It's clearly visible in all of the earliest post-Spoiler appearances, like Urban Legends #5 (Soon cover, Boo interior), Robin #5 (drawn by our man Jorge Corona himself!), Batman #112 (Jimenez), Joker #7 (March) - but it initially disappears in Batman #115, which is part one of the Corona-drawn backup.

There is a belt on the masked Inhyuk Lee variant - on the wrong leg.

For the most part, looking ahead at future variant covers, it's gone. But there may be a hint of something on the Kim Jacinto variant for #3.

Corona, or someone, may have drawn a new reference version, and that one is likely to get adopted across the board.

The belt has been a distinct feature for Steph for many decades, whether as Spoiler or Batgirl (though not Robin). This is clearly an emergency situation!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    A long review merits a long response:

I mostly agree with your cover reviews.

Speaking of tape on comic bags, I tear regular tape all the time too, so I use Scotch Matte Finish Removable Tape. Maybe that's what you mean by matte tape. It doesn't stick perfectly, but that's better than tearing.

Middleton cover: I agree, the logo looks great and well-balanced in the top right corner and I would have chosen that one too. Your point about Cass's appearance is well taken. I had thought she even looked 0% Asian here, unlike her typical portrayals. But the nearly jet-back hair color he gave her could suggest that part of her heritage.

Main cover: At least it's not a bait and switch - it fairly represents the interior art, such as it is. I bought it despite that . (More on that when I write something about #1.)

Inhyuk Lee connecting - I bought these too. I just liked the idea of it. The connecting elements are subtle and unlike most connecting covers, these two could easily stand alone.

Amano Yoshitaka - I don't mentally connect with this one.

Rian Gonzales - I love it except for the way Babs was drawn (more on that later, too). I didn't realize the plushy was Superboy.

Dan Hipp - it's okay. I'm not a fan of Teen Titans Go!. It's a bit odd the way Cass's cape maybe does, or maybe does not, become the Bat ears. I keep missing, then seeing, Batman.

Dan Mora - I like it. You're right, the focus is Barbara, and even Nightwing and Bruce are bigger than Steph and Cass which makes no sense for this series. Took me a bit to realize that all of the yellow is the inside of Barbara's cape. I do like the brooding Batman, though he doesn't belong here, but could do without Nightwing.

Kendrick Lim - They are both good, but ultimately disappointing. The logo interferes too much with the unmasked variant, and I don't love the anime faces here. The lighting on the unmasked faces seems so flat, compared to the highly reflective costume surfaces. As if they are wearing matte face power. I think the masked Steph is more successful, but I don't like the battle damage on that one. I'd never be entirely happy with either cover.

Babs Tarr - a fun homage, and you have good logic for choosing it.

Alex Garner - agree that the trade dress is a bad distraction and the minimal dress is much better. I do disagree with you a little though. I see how Barbara could be considered the focus, but she's a kind of apparition. Steph is foreground and pretty large, and I think the treatment of her cape is especially cool. Arguably there is no central focus to this cover - all of the Batgirls are off-center and that must be deliberate. The minimal version is expensive and the trade is imbalanced, otherwise I might have bought it.

Will Jack - The coloring is all over the map. It just doesn't look a Steph that has ever existed. The better version is the taller image, which is ruined by the logo, while I think the minimal dress version is spoiled by the close crop which eliminates too much of the full drawing. But some people might be more taken by that version. Overall the cover is going for the certain kind of attention that many retailer exclusives get. It is interesting that this is the only solo cover for any of the Batgirls. I do like the little batarang, the kind Steph used during her Batgirl run.

And yeah, just what is the deal with Steph's missing thigh belt?! I hadn't noticed that yet, and went back to check. It's clearly visible in all of the earliest post-Spoiler appearances, like Urban Legends #5 (Soon cover, Boo interior), Robin #5 (drawn by our man Jorge Corona himself!), Batman #112 (Jimenez), Joker #7 (March) - but it initially disappears in Batman #115, which is part one of the Corona-drawn backup.

There is a belt on the masked Inhyuk Lee variant - on the wrong leg.

For the most part, looking ahead at future variant covers, it's gone. But there may be a hint of something on the Kim Jacinto variant for #3.

Corona, or someone, may have drawn a new reference version, and that one is likely to get adopted across the board.

The belt has been a distinct feature for Steph for many decades, whether as Spoiler or Batgirl (though not Robin). This is clearly an emergency situation!
    Hooray! Thanks for watching and responding - I REALLY appreciate it!

I use Scotch Satin Finish GiftWrap Tape - not removeable, but has a nice texture to it that isn't the cheap blandness of normal scotch magic tape. I also place it very carefully, so the sticky part is only a very small part of the connection, so opening doesn't damage the plastic of the bag.

I think Middleton's complexion for Cass vs. Steph was also a hint at her heritage.

I bought the main cover to support my LCS - I felt bad for putting so many comics from my box back this week.

It's so true about connecting covers - I really don't like how so many of them are unbalanced. Simone di Meo does that a lot, and it irks me.

I've been a fan of Dan Hipp ever since this cover:

How can I not love a guy who includes Steph!

The Mora cover is really, really beautiful. I just needed to figure out ways not to spend ALL of the money on this series.

Agreed about Lim's faces - they just don't have the character I want to see in my girls.

I think your comments are well taken on the Garner cover, but even though Babs is translucent, she's just such a huge part of the cover in terms of space it feels wrong.

The Will Jack cover DOES seem to be going for that horny audience. Given his other variants that I saw on his facebook, feels like that's a safe bet.

I have tweeted at Jorge about the thigh belt - hopefully I get an answer!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Happy Holidays!

StephHolidays.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Happy Holidays!

StephHolidays.jpg
    And to you!

DC is using the Bengal variant cover for Batman Urban Legends #10 - the snowball fight with the Batgirls and Nightwing - for a Happy Holidays message in the back of every comic book this week.

Happy Holidays from DC.jpg

Happy Holidays!
    Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Happy Holidays!

StephHolidays.jpg
    I love this Christmas themed costume .
    And to you!

DC is using the Bengal variant cover for Batman Urban Legends #10 - the snowball fight with the Batgirls and Nightwing - for a Happy Holidays message in the back of every comic book this week.

Happy Holidays from DC.jpg
    This is perfect.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Random Idea: Watching Hawkeye on D+... is that the way to do Batman and Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Random Idea: Watching Hawkeye on D+... is that the way to do Batman and Robin?
    Well, there's a reason a lot of folks think Steph and Kate Bishop would be friends...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Kate has a thing for blondes .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kate has a thing for blondes .
    Really? I am not super up on her, other than being profoundly disappointed with the current ongoing.

Really? I am not super up on her, other than being profoundly disappointed with the current ongoing.
    Yeah, one of her best friends is Cassie Lang/Stature (blonde) and she and MCU!Yelena are growing on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, one of her best friends is Cassie Lang/Stature (blonde) and she and MCU!Yelena are growing on each other.
    Ah, a friendship thing. Usually I hear people say "a thing" meaning "dating".

I could see a Kate Bishop/Yelena teamup being very similar, but with switch hair colors, to a Steph/Cass teamup.

Ah, a friendship thing. Usually I hear people say "a thing" meaning "dating".

I could see a Kate Bishop/Yelena teamup being very similar, but with switch hair colors, to a Steph/Cass teamup.
    This just reminds me how Kate ends up being the only straight one on her teams .

Incredible Member

Detective #1046 has the tone that the "Batgirls" book should have. And Steph has a mature personality - she behaves and sounds five years older than the version Cloonan and Conrad are writing. Two different editors (Chen vs. Kaminsky). It's hard to reconcile the two depictions - let's just say that the Batgirls book is an Elseworld. And let's hope Tamaki can continue to differentiate all the women yet have them all strong and admirable, without having to make one of them a blabbering teen comic relief character. So far so good!

This book is in theory Fear State Aftermath, but to me it's Shadows of the Bat prelude all the way.

With no pretension, Steph simply calls herself Batgirl over the radio, and gets no pushback or tease from Barbara. It's just treated as natural fact. (Cass isn't in this issue, but I'm sure she'll appear during Tamaki's 12-week event. With Barbara, Steph, Helen and Kate, there was a lot stuffed into one issue. Cass and Steph are on the cover of the next issue, and Irvin Rodriguez draws them as young adults, not middle schoolers.)

Steph is sufficiently competent in action here - with imperfect results but she gets the job done, if a bit messy. And has a good talk with Helena.

Now we know how Dan Mora would draw Batsteph, and the answer is great. No thigh belt, though. I guess Corona drew a style sheet that everyone has to follow.

Tamaki has a habit of coming up with weird names for her original characters: Hugh Vile, Ana Vulsion, Tobias Wear, Dr. Ocean. These don't sound like people. But at least Deb Donovan does sound like a person.

So far more than Bat-family, this is Bat-women-family, and Tamaki is handling them all with the seriousness they deserve.

I'm on board.

Detective #1046 has the tone that the "Batgirls" book should have. And Steph has a mature personality - she behaves and sounds five years older than the version Cloonan and Conrad are writing. Two different editors (Chen vs. Kaminsky). It's hard to reconcile the two depictions - let's just say that the Batgirls book is an Elseworld. And let's hope Tamaki can continue to differentiate all the women yet have them all strong and admirable, without having to make one of them a blabbering teen comic relief character. So far so good!

This book is in theory Fear State Aftermath, but to me it's Shadows of the Bat prelude all the way.

With no pretension, Steph simply calls herself Batgirl over the radio, and gets no pushback or tease from Barbara. It's just treated as natural fact. (Cass isn't in this issue, but I'm sure she'll appear during Tamaki's 12-week event. With Barbara, Steph, Helen and Kate, there was a lot stuffed into one issue. Cass and Steph are on the cover of the next issue, and Irvin Rodriguez draws them as young adults, not middle schoolers.)

Steph is sufficiently competent in action here - with imperfect results but she gets the job done, if a bit messy. And has a good talk with Helena.

Now we know how Dan Mora would draw Batsteph, and the answer is great. No thigh belt, though. I guess Corona drew a style sheet that everyone has to follow.

Tamaki has a habit of coming up with weird names for her original characters: Hugh Vile, Ana Vulsion, Tobias Wear, Dr. Ocean. These don't sound like people. But at least Deb Donovan does sound like a person.

So far more than Bat-family, this is Bat-women-family, and Tamaki is handling them all with the seriousness they deserve.

I'm on board.
    Well, I personally like both Tec and Batgirls, and given that I saw Steph go from a very hard edged tone in Catwoman to a very bubble tone in Burnside Batgirl, I'm kinda used to it by now. This is definitely Shadows of the Bat - I think Ana Vulsion the villain is going to be a big part of Shadows. Steph jumping over the car felt a lot like Future's End: Batgirl, so that was very cool. The Helena interaction reminded me of the famous Huntress/Spoiler team up in Cataclysm - hopefully we get more of that, given the solicitations for March!

It does feel like Steph's thigh belt is going to be MIA for a while. I'm going to keep trying to get Corona to add it, though!

Can't wait for Die Hard In Gotham, AKA Shadows of the Bat!

I'm on board.
    Sounds good to me .