Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, it's so appropriate these days!
    True enough...although a full face mask would probably be even more effective .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, from what I've heard of 5G, DC is not committing fully to these new characters - you do have Jace/Tim as Batman, Jon as Superman, and Nubia and Hippolyta as Wonder Women, but you ALSO have the main Batman and Wonder Woman titles and Action Comics both featuring Bruce, Diana, and Clark. So fans who want the familiar historical characters can have them as well as the new characters. GL and Flash are a bit different, to be sure, but in Batgirls (and Nightwing), we're promised that Babs is going to be a Batgirl too (not acceptable if you are only willing to have Babs be the ONLY Batgirl, but I think there's going to be more than just "management" in Babs's future).
    I agree, they learned from New 52 that you can't just change everything overnight. So we have the "old man" series running parallel to the new series. But not even entirely - Barry Allen and Hal Jordan exist but are largely sidelined and nearly irrelevant, without series of their own. You probably can't count Wally as a new generation, but it's a change, and he is and has always been younger than Barry. Maybe he'll be be sidelined too eventually. I imagine they will continue all of the old generation books while watching sales of the new and old closely.

I was previously saying Barbara will still be Batgirl because that's what DC was saying, and I know Barbara, drawn in her baggy pajamas, will be active in Nightwing for a few issues, but I now have doubts she's going to be active much beyond that.

In today's Batgirls backup, only Cass is called Batgirl (and she's called Cass of course). Barbara is called Oracle, Barbara and Babs, and Steph is only referred to as Steph, while out of action - she hasn't yet been named when in action. But Cass and Steph are collectively called garbage Batgirls and little Batgirls (but also, just Batgirls) by the antagonist.

Maybe I'll eventually warm up to Corona's scratchy, loose art. Faces are ugly, bodies are stylized. Not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for.

Does Steph have freckles? She does now. And Barbara's, as drawn by Jimenez, are gone.

I'll have to read this again when I have time later. Interested to hear other reactions!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I agree, they learned from New 52 that you can't just change everything overnight. So we have the "old man" series running parallel to the new series. But not even entirely - Barry Allen and Hal Jordan exist but are largely sidelined and nearly irrelevant, without series of their own. You probably can't count Wally as a new generation, but it's a change, and he is and has always been younger than Barry. Maybe he'll be be sidelined too eventually. I imagine they will continue all of the old generation books while watching sales of the new and old closely.

In today's Batgirls backup, only Cass is called Batgirl (and she's called Cass of course). Barbara is called Oracle, Barbara and Babs, and Steph is only referred to as Steph, while out of action - she hasn't yet been named when in action. But Cass and Steph are collectively called garbage Batgirls and little Batgirls (but also, just Batgirls) by the antagonist.

Maybe I'll eventually warm up to Corona's scratchy, loose art. Faces are ugly, bodies are stylized. Not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for.

Does Steph have freckles? She does now. And Barbara's, as drawn by Jimenez, are gone.

I'll have to read this again when I have time later. Interested to hear other reactions!
    I think that there's definitely missing things for many characters - even apart from Flash and Green Lantern, there's the Aquaman and Green Arrow problem (yes, they're getting a team up series, a legacy character series, and a team up series, and just announced that there's going to be an AquaMEN series after the two miniseries and the teamup finish, or while they're wrapping up, but they've been missing for the better part of a year other than in team books (which I guess counts, but is not the same)), but I think there's a definitely feeling of trying to hedge bets on DC's part with all the new characters.

Now, onto today's Batgirls backup!

We have the reveal of Anti-Oracle's moniker, Seer here (I think this is the first appearance outside of solicits). That whole thing is confusing to me, since it's spread out between Batman, Nightwing, and these backups, but I did really like seeing Steph, Cass, and Babs's relationship and care for each other. And it didn't feel like they were making them incompetent, as compared to the Urban Legends story. Good stuff! I personally really like Jorge Corona's art since We Are Robin, so I am digging this.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

I think that there's definitely missing things for many characters - even apart from Flash and Green Lantern, there's the Aquaman and Green Arrow problem (yes, they're getting a team up series, a legacy character series, and a team up series, and just announced that there's going to be an AquaMEN series after the two miniseries and the teamup finish, or while they're wrapping up, but they've been missing for the better part of a year other than in team books (which I guess counts, but is not the same)), but I think there's a definitely feeling of trying to hedge bets on DC's part with all the new characters.

Now, onto today's Batgirls backup!

We have the reveal of Anti-Oracle's moniker, Seer here (I think this is the first appearance outside of solicits). That whole thing is confusing to me, since it's spread out between Batman, Nightwing, and these backups, but I did really like seeing Steph, Cass, and Babs's relationship and care for each other. And it didn't feel like they were making them incompetent, as compared to the Urban Legends story. Good stuff! I personally really like Jorge Corona's art since We Are Robin, so I am digging this.
    I first saw the name Seer in I Am Batman, a month ago.

Ah, I've read that, but it drops out of my memory really quickly. Thanks for the reminder!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This first, then this week Nightwing, where Babs suits up after seeing Seer

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    A classic issue! Sadly, the fill in art wasn't up to the writing quality, but I still quite liked it. I think it gets forgotten a lot because it's a crossover with Red Robin, and was originally collected with Red Robin, but the new trades put it back where it belongs, in the middle of the "Steph proves herself to the Batfamily" first year arc.

Incredible Member

Ah, I've read that, but it drops out of my memory really quickly. Thanks for the reminder!
    And I was just starting to re-read Batman: Urban Legends #8 from 10/12, which is a week before the Batgirl backup. In the Batwoman story, Cass uses the term "Anti-Oracle" while speaking with Kate, but then Seer starts transmitting to them and calls itself "Seer." I Am Batman did come first though.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Never forget Steph in that dress.

I kind of wonder how Miller would've written them together as a couple.

And I was just starting to re-read Batman: Urban Legends #8 from 10/12, which is a week before the Batgirl backup. In the Batwoman story, Cass uses the term "Anti-Oracle" while speaking with Kate, but then Seer starts transmitting to them and calls itself "Seer." I Am Batman did come first though.
    Good to know! Thanks for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Never forget Steph in that dress.

I kind of wonder how Miller would've written them together as a couple.
    I really wish we could have seen that, but also, I do appreciate that Steph stood on her own two feet without any real romance or competition for lead from Tim in her series.

I really wish we could have seen that, but also, I do appreciate that Steph stood on her own two feet without any real romance or competition for lead from Tim in her series.
    True that .

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So how much time do you think they will give to Steph in the new YJ series season? I know Tim and Cassie broke up, but now with Tim being bi do you think they'll skip Stephanie all together with him and put her with like Kid Devil or someone?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So how much time do you think they will give to Steph in the new YJ series season? I know Tim and Cassie broke up, but now with Tim being bi do you think they'll skip Stephanie all together with him and put her with like Kid Devil or someone?
    Since Barbara is no longer Batgirl on Young Justice, wouldn't that make Steph the new Batgirl ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    It would kill me if they skip depicting the relationship with Steph just to get diversity points by having him with a male character, especially with how little they've done with Tim in general.