Page 590 of 719 FirstFirst ... 90490540580586587588589590591592593594600640690 ... LastLast
Results 8,836 to 8,850 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post

Mental-Megamorphic Jean looming over her enemies is my new favorite thing

I get what Tank is saying, but I feel this was an improvement over the moment with Nova. At least she smacks the hell out of him(and later his horse), and isn't trying to "make him better", but straight up says not only will I know if you come around again, I will end you if you do. That is not wishy-washy. That is very blunt. And I kinda like Jean this way, not going bombastic over every thing, but then has every right to "end" someone when they don't listen. "You were warned!"
    I agree the moment with Nightmare was less Care-beary than Cassandra Nova and better for it. But if the dog barks enough I want to see the bite to back it up for once!

Speaking of megamorph Jean this reminds me of megamorph Jean in the animated series when she helps Rogue trap Miss Marvel’s psyche.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I went ahead and did a micro hero of what I think the new costume may look like!

"We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I went ahead and did a micro hero of what I think the new costume may look like!

It looks good! I hope you guys are right and it’s really a new costume and not just artistic license and the panels being so small.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    It looks good! I hope you guys are right and it’s really a new costume and not just artistic license and the panels being so small.
    The only thing is that based on the little bit of that we DO see, it looks like absolutely nothing else Jean has worn. It could've been another Phoenix costume (since the one across from it is the 90s, it could've been the 70s) but it doesn't have the sash. So I'm optimistic!

Also tyvm!!!
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Agree, I just want to see Jean put in some new situations where she has to make tough moral choices. Where there isnÂ’t a clear right or wrong answer. I want her to grow as a result.
    And what "tough moral choices" would you have her make? Do you have any ideas or examples you can cite to make your point clearer?

As I tweeted just a few minutes ago, where Duggan excels in his recent depiction of Jean is in showcasing the facets that make her such a fascinatingly complex and mercurial character. While her altruism is innate, it is also magnified by deep guilt and a keen awareness of her own wrath and stunning power.

I love this moment because it can be used as a jumping-off point for further exploration of her drives, motives, and how she may be overcompensating (e.g., reverting back to an old costume and codename) for her perceived flaws (e.g., her anger, power, and "past sins").

Jean is compassionate, but that compassion will quickly turn to anger and violence if she or those she loves is threatened. She was described as a furnace of violent emotions in New XMen and thatÂ’s one of the reasons I loved her New Xmen portrayal. She came off as dangerous, powerful, confident and flawed.
    Duggan did a great job of hinting at her wrath and dangerousness. He chose to have her acknowledge it rather than act upon it, which I love.

This current Jean is still too “nice” even when she’s threatened. Too big moments with both Cassandra and Nightmare where she’s too pacifist and….passive. It’s boring tbh and not enough fire in her.
    While you may find her "too 'nice'," I do not. The fact that she chooses to temper her anger and reactions makes sense, considering her power levels and where she can go if she unleashes her fury. Pay close attention to Duggan's word choices for her:

"I could make matters worse for you"; "I was a vessel for death"; "You risked much by entering my mind..."; "I have your scent now...I will end you."

I am thrilled that she is being handled with such respect and consideration. As far as I am concerned, Duggan is laying the groundwork for the changes that are to come for her. Of course, he has to repeat some things, but he has also introduced new facets.

Speaking of megamorph Jean this reminds me of megamorph Jean in the animated series when she helps Rogue trap Miss Marvel’s psyche.
    Right you are!

A good thing about Xavier(with Magneto) being trapped in the Savage land in Season 2 was, Jean got to step up and handle more telepathic duties

I think its actually more terrifying for someone who's super powerful to be calm and collected and not fueled by emotions. She could have raged at Nightmare, but what would that have accomplished? Jean wasnt pressed. She did what needed to be done

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

I love this moment because it can be used as a jumping-off point for further exploration of her drives, motives, and how she may be overcompensating (e.g., reverting back to an old costume and codename) for her perceived flaws (e.g., her anger, power, and "past sins").

Ooh, I like that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think its actually more terrifying for someone who's super powerful to be calm and collected and not fueled by emotions. She could have raged at Nightmare, but what would that have accomplished? Jean wasnt pressed. She did what needed to be done
    Exactly. Besides, Duggan showed that she was and is willing to go there if need be. I'm still over the moon by how his depiction was both faithful to and respectful of her character. Effectively, he wrote her as Percy has described her:

I'm also intrigued by Duggan introducing the possibility that, on a subconscious level, she knows she is holding herself back, both literally and figuratively. Again, I don't read the scene he wrote between her and Emma as trolling or insignificant. (He hasn't chosen to degrade Jean yet, and I don't see him starting to do it now.) That moment was very deliberate and telling...

BANNED

We know why Jean is the prime host/avatar. Her omega level telepathic and telekinetic powers, plus strong moral character Madelyne doesn’t have.

As we discussed the Phoenix mostly provided Jean the cosmic awareness that enables her to do the things she always could have done.

As for Jean saying Nightmare was trying to cover his own fear and weakness, this is true of many villains in fiction AND real life.

This reminds me of a dialogue, when Jean refused the PF, where it was stated that the PF actually held her powers back.

I like how Jean grabbed Nightmare's wrists and held him at bay. Jean is strong and fierce, while being relatively calm here!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

For those of you interested, this interview by Power of X-Men Podcast with Matthew Rosenberg, writer of Phoenix Resurrection, was just published. Jean is the host's favorite character, and he admits "75% of this conversation is going to be about Jean Grey and Phoenix Resurrection." Also, Rosenberg reveals Jean is one of his favorite characters.

I can't dedicate the time to this right now (it's over an hour long), but I am definitely interested in listening to a deep-dive into this story and how it came about. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes...we all know the Byrne/Claremont/Shooter tiffs. Especially regarding Jean and the Phoenix.
    But still...Claremont was essentially being a playground bully with "his" toys. Completely forgetting that he didn't have sole ownership of these characters, regardless of how he felt about them or how long he's been writing them. Holding on so tightly to your vision so that no one else couldn't do anything more with it was petty.
    No wonder Editorial had issues, later on.
    Not everyone may be knowledgeable about what happened. You are right about Claremont. He didn’t like sharing the toys and he had a specific vision for the characters. I’m not even a big Claremont fan, but I do feel his story concerning Jean and Phoenix has been bastardized enough. But such is comics!