Page 584 of 719 FirstFirst ... 84484534574580581582583584585586587588594634684 ... LastLast
Results 8,746 to 8,760 of 10783
    The Red Dragon

It was good for a one and done issue. I think the parts with feilong and ben ulrich could have been cut and devoted those pages to the nightmares of the other team members instead.

Nice to see a competent Jean, but still not a big fan of this “kindess” hearts and rainbows version. She comes off like a telepathic care bear. Sometimes you just have to kick ass! Compassion got you killed via xorneto, you still havent learned anything Jean.

The art was great! This is the quality of fill in artist for a flagship. Unlike some of the horrendous fill ins of recent past, like coughxforcecough.

The Red Dragon

I hope Nightmare gets added to Jean’s rogue’s gallery. She needs more.

I have not read the physical copy of X-men 4 yet but it should be waiting on me at my comic store. I did love today's issue. Jean was great. Duggan gets her. I loved the Phoenix related nightmares. I love how Jean acknowledges her complicated past and how she wants to make up for what happened with Dark Phoenix. That is in character for Jean going way back. I loved the scene showing us what she said at the Gala but I was confused if she had to advocate for herself because I thought Jean and Cyke were a given and didn't have to be voted on?

Jean was tough with Nightmare, but while still showing her classic empathy and compassion. I love it when Jean is more aggressive and assertive but I have to admit the X-men Red Jean was definitely on display in this issue and I'm not complaining. Jean wants to do good in world and the universe.

I was not expecting a Jean centric issue either so it was quite the surprise. I loved reading a lot of positive comments on here and on twitter.

I loved the scene with Jean in the other costumes - I really didn't think we would see a glimpse of Jean in the Phoenix costume in this era (besides in a variant cover). Like many of us I really want Jean in a new costume, but I've pretty much made peace with the Marvel Girl look.

Overall it was a fun story for the Halloween issue. Jean got to fight a dream demon which was pretty cool.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I have not read the physical copy of X-men 4 yet but it should be waiting on me at my comic store. I did love today's issue. Jean was great. Duggan gets her. I loved the Phoenix related nightmares. I love how Jean acknowledges her complicated past and how she wants to make up for what happened with Dark Phoenix. That is in character for Jean going way back. I loved the scene showing us what she said at the Gala but I was confused if she had to advocate for herself because I thought Jean and Cyke were a given and didn't have to be voted on?

Jean was tough with Nightmare, but while still showing her classic empathy and compassion. I love it when Jean is more aggressive and assertive but I have to admit the X-men Red Jean was definitely on display in this issue and I'm not complaining. Jean wants to do good in world and the universe.

I was not expecting a Jean centric issue either so it was quite the surprise. I loved reading a lot of positive comments on here and on twitter.

I loved the scene with Jean in the other costumes - I really didn't think we would see a glimpse of Jean in the Phoenix costume in this era (besides in a variant cover). Like many of us I really want Jean in a new costume, but I've pretty much made peace with the Marvel Girl look.

Overall it was a fun story for the Halloween issue. Jean got to fight a dream demon which was pretty cool.
    I think why I didnt like the issue more was because it felt like been there done that. I want to see Jean thrust in new situations and have to make difficult choices. This wasnt exactly a new situation and she didnt have to make any difficult choices. It’s a little to safe and par for the course. It’s not really any new development and anything that thrusts her story forward.

It's always fun seeing foes attempt to best Jean with nightmares and/or fears, and fail.

Hell not even the M'Kraan Crystal itself could keep Jean down long in a nightmare

Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I think why I didnt like the issue more was because it felt like been there done that. I want to see Jean thrust in new situations and have to make difficult choices. This wasnt exactly a new situation and she didnt have to make any difficult choices. It’s a little to safe and par for the course. It’s not really any new development and anything that thrusts her story forward.
    I see that. I too want Jean to be more aggressive and I hope we get to see that sometime soon. I also hope to see more of an evolution for her. We did see her struggles in X-force having to do things that she wasn't comfortable with. Jean in X-force was a brief departure for the X-men Red version.

Jean is a heroic character so I admit I love seeing her co-lead the X-men. This book is only on issue 4 and she's had a great showing so far. I do hope they have a long term plan for her but even if they do not I think we are going to continue to enjoy (overall) how Duggan uses her.

BANNED

I don't think there is any large narrative planned for her specifically. It's likely that, as with the tree house, her story and status quo will be that she's there for whatever major story they have planned for Cyclops. But at least Duggan's stuff doesn't read like he's a hater.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't think there is any large narrative planned for her specifically. It's likely that, as with the tree house, her story and status quo will be that she's there for whatever major story they have planned for Cyclops. But at least Duggan's stuff doesn't read like he's a hater.
    I can agree with this. They’re afraid to push her boundaries, or have her character grow in any meaningful way. Maybe they don’t care to because she’s always used as a foil for other characters. So baseline Jean always has to be the goody goody, perfect girl next door normal so that she can play off all these other characters that get to show more range.

That’s why I’m so appreciative whenever Jean does get to cut loose or show she’s not this perfect tempered saint. She’s way more than that but we dont see enough of it.
    Last edited by Tank; 10-13-2021 at 07:29 PM.

"I know I can never save the number of souls that the Phoenix burned--I can't completely balance that scale--but I can strive to do it, and even though I will fail, I will leave this world and this universe a better place"

idk this thing really made me emotional *sobs*

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post

I think this is the incident that restarted Jean's telepathy.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I think this is the incident that restarted Jean's telepathy.
    Yep it was

Are...you...KIDDING ME?!?

So of course today I'm busy as hell...I purchased X-Men #4 at like 9am, but only JUST NOW have been able to read it! THIS IS MY JEAN!!! This was leaps and bounds beyond X-Men 28's trouncing of Sabertooth. I haven't audibly exclaimed while reading an issue in God knows how long. And I love Jean astrally growing huge, as she did to Cassandra Nova in X-Men Red.

*Squeeeee*

Now to go back several pages and devour all the delicious comments from you guys
    I'm so happy you got it, love. Jean deserves this, and so do we. I'm still savoring the delicious aftertaste from this morning (I've only read the issue once), but I plan on diving back in for another taste as I settle in tonight. This issue made me reflect on being a Jean fan and my own life on so many levels... Anyway, there's so much I want to write, but I want to get the words just right, so I'll post my review either tomorrow or the day after.

Duggan touched upon so many aspects of her character here, both established and new, and I...simply don't have the words right now. If I had to use one word to describe how Duggan depicted Jean in this issue, I would use iridescent. Her fears and insecurities were relatable, and her hopes and goals were inspiring without being mawkish. And getting to witness my favorite character rendered with such grace and dignity and strength and badassery was truly overwhelming.

Ultimately, Jean's confrontation with Nightmare was about laying bare her psyche during the tail end of an era in which she has been an enigma to so many. Duggan laid some deep groundwork here. There is much to ponder and analyze...

::floats off in deep thought on waves of elation::

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'm so happy you got it, love. Jean deserves this, and so do we. I'm still savoring the delicious aftertaste from this morning (I've only read the issue once), but I plan on diving back in for another taste as I settle in tonight. This issue made me reflect on being a Jean fan and my own life on so many levels... Anyway, there's so much I want to write, but I want to get the words just right, so I'll post my review either tomorrow or the day after.

Duggan touched upon so many aspects of her character here, both established and new, and I...simply don't have the words right now. If I had to use one word to describe how Duggan depicted Jean in this issue, I would use iridescent. Her fears and insecurities were relatable, and her hopes and goals were inspiring without being mawkish. And getting to witness my favorite character rendered with such grace and dignity and strength and badassery was truly overwhelming.

Ultimately, Jean's confrontation with Nightmare was about laying bare her psyche during the tail end of an era in which she has been an enigma to so many. Duggan laid some deep groundwork here. There is much to ponder and analyze...

::floats off in deep thought on waves of elation::
    Thank you Mercury

These 4 issues have shown breadth and depth regarding Jean's character. To quote what I said after the 3rd issue

"Leadership, poise, intelligence, intrigue, power, warmth, nurturing, supportive, collaborative, vivacious and compassionate...He's given her so much in such a short span already"

Also, given what has been touched upon in this issue...Dark Phoenix, Jean's use of the "regressive" Marvel Girl name/look/identity, yet also declaring her power in the Hellfire Gala voting speech (also, in the scene with dream Emma, Jean is the original school uniform, then MG, but still school aged apparently and carrying the same school books)...anyway it reminds me a bit of Apocalypse's write up on Jean

Part 2

I instantly remembered this same panel while reading today. 'Cause Jean's worst nightmare is herself, and I think the dream sequence served as kind of a metaphor for that.