I agree that it didn't look like Jean was giving Jamie much of a choice. I admit that I kind of enjoy when some of the telepaths dance on the edge of what is acceptable with their telepathy (see: Xavier or Emma Frost or any of them really). I think Jean was being playful but yes there could easily be a debate on how she handled the situation.

I think for Duggan there was a challenge in this issue with how to handle the psychics - Quire, Jean, and Exodus. If you are going to terraform a planet you can easily come up with why you need elementals and reality warpers but I think the telepaths especially are a challenge.

While personally I would prefer Jean as an omega tk I do think being an omega telepath is cool. It isn't a boring power.. I mean Xavier and at times Emma seemed way over powered with just telepathy. I think they can do new and interesting things with both Quire and Jean as omega telepaths but it will take creativity and imagination.

Again - I do think they are careful about power creep and they intentionally have limited characters and especially the omega mutants. I don't know if we'll get outlandish crazy telepathic feats like in years past. But we'll see. I could get surprised. Even though people say Jean has become a telephone I kind of wanted to see Jean do something big with her long range telepathy in this issue, but of course what we did get was great.

Duggan could have easily had Exodus do a tk feat but he chose Jean for it.