Page 23 of 719 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123523 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Very light read loved Jean, Ororo, and Scott together, although I wish they could get a bit of the chemistry upon their interactions of a Berto and Sam. Between the former three a lot of history between the Shiar Empire could have been brought up or helped pushed the narrative.

I thought X-men 17 was an ok issue. It was basically what we would expect from Hickman. Jean was fine in the issue aside from the lack of tk use (but tp is her primary power now per the Omega mutant data page from House of X 1). I don't think Jean levitates or flies much in his book like she does in X-force (which the inconsistency can be annoying).

I liked Jean in the red X-factor costume. That was a surprise because I assumed it would have been in green and yellow. The art is not my taste. I've never been a Booth fan. Jean's hair was too big, but it was very late 80s/early 90s.

The story was ok but again it was mostly set up.

Hickman doesn’t get Jean, he could not write her properly if his life depended on it, she has no fire, no passion and is turning into a glorified mobile phone, taking away her tk potential will only push forth her depiction of passive appendage, ever since she was declared just an omega tp, omega telepathy in comicbook history has never been more boring, just another thing that is being taken away because “it’s too cool for her.”
    Marriage: gone, family: gone, phoenix imagery: gone, pink form: gone, omega tk: gone......basic tk: randomly forgotten? soon she’ll be as boring and bland as her detractors like to paint her.

Overreacting? Perhaps!.....I’d love to be wrong and it is my sincerest hope to eat my words in the months to come.
    Last edited by Daedra; 01-27-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sometimes I wanted to believe that the hickman just doesn't like Jean. But a writer of his level does it for personal taste ... I think it's too much. Or he just doesn't understand her. He's really good at writing globally, but female characters like the storm, emma, Magik, psylock I see that they are well crafted.

She of greatest love with the cyke in the place that has the murderers of her family ?? !!

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Sometimes I wanted to believe that the hickman just doesn't like Jean. But a writer of his level does it for personal taste ... I think it's too much. Or he just doesn't understand her. He's really good at writing globally, but female characters like the storm, emma, Magik, psylock I see that they are well crafted.

She of greatest love with the cyke in the place that has the murderers of her family ?? !!
    Sadly The issue is not that he doesn’t like her, the issue is that he doesn’t get what’s great about her
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    After reading it...question...

Was Jean initially only telekinetic then when she first trained as an X-Man back in those early pre ANAD stories?
    (I never read those very early stories by the way, they were just too gawd-awfully written, when I did try,...so I'll just stick with the retcon, which actually makes far more sense and carries greater emotional resonance and weight)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    After reading it...question...

Was Jean initially only telekinetic then when she first trained as an X-Man back in those early pre ANAD stories?
    (I never read those very early stories by the way, they were just too gawd-awfully written, when I did try,...so I'll just stick with the retcon, which actually makes far more sense and carries greater emotional resonance and weight)
    Yes, Jean was only telekinetic initially.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Hickman doesn’t get Jean, he could not write her properly if his life depended on it, she has no fire, no passion and is turning into a glorified mobile phone, taking away her tk potential will only push forth her depiction of passive appendage, ever since she was declared just an omega tp, omega telepathy in comicbook history has never been more boring, just another thing that is being taken away because “it’s too cool for her.”
    Marriage: gone, family: gone, phoenix imagery: gone, pink form: gone, omega tk: gone......basic tk: randomly forgotten? soon she’ll be as boring and bland as her detractors like to paint her.

Overreacting? Perhaps!.....I’d love to be wrong and it is my sincerest hope to eat my words in the months to come.
    The part I hated about this issue is when she sounded panicky coz Scott was knocked unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, Jean was only telekinetic initially.
    Ahh! Well then...Jean being an OL telepath in this era makes more sense. Seems like HiX-Man decided to go with Claremont's retcon, which is perfectly understandable.

Another thought on the matter...If I were to make any sense of it...The fact that Xavier was able to transfer some of his "telepathic might" to Jean would suggest that her own telepathy was latent at the time, with her telekinesis developing first and more prominent.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-27-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Ahh! Well then...Jean being an OL telepath in this era makes more sense. Seems like HiX-Man decided to go with Claremont's retcon, which is perfectly understandable.
    It makes zero sense. Jean was OG as TK not TP

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    The part I hated about this issue is when she sounded panicky coz Scott was knocked unconscious.
    Classic Jean screaming "Scott" on the X-men Tas
    Last edited by Rang10; 01-27-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It makes zero sense. Jean was OG as TK not TP
    Try to keep up, dear.
    I said HiX-Man followed Claremont's retcon (of what Roy Thomas wrote) of Jean's telepathy developing under extenuating circumstances when she was ten...the story with which most X-Men readers and Claremont worshippers are familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Sadly The issue is not that he doesn’t like her, the issue is that he doesn’t get what’s great about her
    I think this describe well how Hickman feels about Jean

Another thought on the matter...If I were to make any sense of it...The fact that Xavier was able to transfer some of his "telepathic might" to Jean would suggest that her own telepathy was latent at the time, with her telekinesis developing first and more prominent.
    But can you see the hickman developing Jean like Claremont? Or if you see something that can bring a good ending. (in the hands of the hickman i only see the worst rs)

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    But can you see the hickman developing Jean like Claremont? Or if you see something that can bring a good ending. (in the hands of the hickman i only see the worst rs)
    I don't play the "comparison game" not when it comes to writers and artists. It's 2021 not 1983, and Hix-Man is not Claremont so I don't expect him to write like Claremont nor try to follow in his ink-well, so to speak. I also try to read in the moment, and not "predict" what will be written or how...especially now, as these story directions have proven to be so unpredictable.

You see the worst. I see the difference.