Page 657 of 719 FirstFirst ... 157557607647653654655656657658659660661667707 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,855 of 10783

Yes, Cerebro had many forms, even early on, and some of these did not require mental powers to use, but were more like computers that located mutants. There was even a watch variety that could detect mutants.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I’m loving this look. Earth-101 Jean Grey from Marvel Fanon:

https://marvelcomicsfanon.fandom.com...ey_(Earth-101)

Honestly I think it would be a badge for Jean to go from the "weakest" member of the team all the way to one of the most powerful and rare of mutants.

spoilers:
    I'm intentionally ignoring any relations to the Phoenix.
    end of spoilers
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Hold your horses. The scene below is from issue #20. After being telepathically attacked. Xavier not only lets Jean observe him using Cerebro but instructs her on how to use it, or a portable version of it, herself!
    That one isn't exactly Cerebro, since back then Cerebro only detected mutants, to the point that in X-Men#13, when Xavier used a helmet that amplifies his telepathic powers, that was another device called "Mento-helmet":

Basically those devices were eventually combined with Cerebro, but back then they were separated.

Either way, in X-Men#12 we have this:

So basically the rest weren't told about Cerebro for months, and he only allowed them to learn about Cerebro because Juggernaut is an emergency, which makes me surprised he didn't mind wipe 'em afterwards... Also, back in X-Men#7 Xavier mentions he kept the contruction of Cerebro itself a secret from the rest, he was just very secretive for no damn reason lol.

So yeah, even if the device from X-Men#20 could be called Cerebro, by that point everyone knew about it, but again, it doesn't change the fact he was secretive for no real reason at times before this lol.

At the time, in terms of sheer propulsive force, I would say she was only behind Cyclops. However, in terms of strength, she was behind no one. She shielded herself from Iceman's projectile, caught Quicksilver during midrun, toppled Sentinels and a T-Rex, anchored an air balloon containing the team to Earth from the edges of the stratosphere, was able to levitate and hold Juggernaut in place, and lifted thousands of pounds of steel construction beams several stories up, to list just a few of her feats within the first 20 or so issues.
    Pretty sure the last one isn't from Lee/Kirby run, which the last issue was #19

But yeah, while we had silly cases like Jean all of a sudden struggling to lift Beast in X-Men#6, when she generally can do so just fine (Even did so on her debut lol), she hardly looked as bad as the story would like to us to believe lol.

Her powers were definitely depicted inconsistently during the initial run of X-Men. Still, she always had jaw-dropping feats peppered throughout to remind you of just how powerful and versatile she could be. This is one of my favorite Lee/Kirby pages of Jean, which highlights her versatility:
    And the funniest thing is that, despite being far weaker than 90's cartoon Jean in what she could lift, early Jean essentially never fainted lol.

Interestingly enough, while Rachel was the first to be classified Omega on panel, Jean and Bobby would be the first mutants to be classified Omega Level mutants.
    In Rachel's case, was that because of the Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Honestly I think it would be a badge for Jean to go from the "weakest" member of the team all the way to one of the most powerful and rare of mutants.

spoilers:
    I'm intentionally ignoring any relations to the Phoenix.
    end of spoilers
    Thing is that, her being the actual weakest was dubious, 'cause the X-Men were pretty close in power for the most part, so while sometimes she looks like she's the weakest one, other times, Angel looks like the weakest one lol.

And again, while some issue says Cyclops was the strongest one, that is also dubious, 'cause in raw power he could destroy a lot, but using his power too much made him dizzy, so his power could look pretty limited at times.

Honestly, I'd say the most consistent X-Men in Lee/Kirby run were Beast and Iceman, at least as far as I remember.

Also funnily enough, the most inconsistent character power-wise in Lee/Kirby run was fucking Magneto, he debutted by managing to fight the entire team well, even escaped, then he created the Brotherhood and suddenly he looked a lot less powerful and often ran away for no real reason, then in the last time he shows up in Lee/Kirby's run in X-Men#17 and #18, he's suddenly overwhelming again and only ran away 'cause the Stranger was after him lol.

Unpopular opinion but I dont really like Jean in red/yellow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Perfectly fine to have unpopular opinions. Different stroke for different folks. That costume looks like a hybrid her Morrison costume and the Dark Phoenix one.

Whenever Jean becomes Phoenix again out her and updated Phoenix costume.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Agreed. Especially given her hair is often colored more red than ginger, it clashes. It feels wrong.

Now if this look had green instead of red it'd be great.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I prefer Jean in other colors too.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Looks more like a Rachel costume to me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That one isn't exactly Cerebro, since back then Cerebro only detected mutants, to the point that in X-Men#13, when Xavier used a helmet that amplifies his telepathic powers, that was another device called "Mento-helmet":

Basically those devices were eventually combined with Cerebro, but back then they were separated.

Either way, in X-Men#12 we have this:

So basically the rest weren't told about Cerebro for months, and he only allowed them to learn about Cerebro because Juggernaut is an emergency, which makes me surprised he didn't mind wipe 'em afterwards... Also, back in X-Men#7 Xavier mentions he kept the contruction of Cerebro itself a secret from the rest, he was just very secretive for no damn reason lol.

So yeah, even if the device from X-Men#20 could be called Cerebro, by that point everyone knew about it, but again, it doesn't change the fact he was secretive for no real reason at times before this lol.
    Thank you for the clarification and information!

Pretty sure the last one isn't from Lee/Kirby run, which the last issue was #19
    You are correct. She lifts the steel beams somewhere between issue #30 and #35 (#32, I think).

In Rachel's case, was that because of the Phoenix?
    I believe she was bonded with the Phoenix Force at the time she was classified as Omega Class (?).

Thing is that, her being the actual weakest was dubious, 'cause the X-Men were pretty close in power for the most part, so while sometimes she looks like she's the weakest one, other times, Angel looks like the weakest one lol.
    Angel was definitely the weakest team member. Also, the thing about Jean's abilities is that they are more powerful on a subtle level than the rest, save for Iceman. Both of them can disrupt and destroy internal organs. Even as a teen, considering she was lifting thousands of pounds, Jean could stop a heart or cut the flow of blood to someone's brain. Iceman could freeze internal organs. They are indisputably not only the most powerful members of the original five but also of most mutants.

And again, while some issue says Cyclops was the strongest one, that is also dubious, 'cause in raw power he could destroy a lot, but using his power too much made him dizzy, so his power could look pretty limited at times.

Honestly, I'd say the most consistent X-Men in Lee/Kirby run were Beast and Iceman, at least as far as I remember.

Ordinarily, I don't like that color combo either, especially because it harkens back to Dark Phoenix, but I do like the scheme for some reason with this costuem.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Now if this look had green instead of red it'd be great.
    A green and gold combo or just either green or gold would be great. Hell, even a blue and gold combo or just either blue or gold would be great. I really love this design for her because it does tip the hat to the New X-Men era but adds some color and light to the outfit. Also, it's a serious look that would contrast beautifully with Lorna's more casual look.

I really, really love this costume. 😭😭😭😭😭

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Looks more like a Rachel costume to me lol.
    Now I can't unsee that lol.

You are correct. She lifts the steel beams somewhere between issue #30 and #35 (#32, I think).
    I'm still in issue 22, it'll take a while until I get to that one lol.

I believe she was bonded with the Phoenix Force at the time she was classified as Omega Class (?).
    Sounds like a vaguely defined way of saying she's really strong, guess she started the pre-Hickman "Omega level mutant" vagueness before it was even specified to mutants lol.

Angel was definitely the weakest team member. Also, the thing about Jean's abilities is that they are more powerful on a subtle level than the rest, save for Iceman. Both of them can disrupt and destroy internal organs. Even as a teen, considering she was lifting thousands of pounds, Jean could stop a heart or cut the flow of blood to someone's brain. Iceman could freeze internal organs. They are indisputably not only the most powerful members of the original five but also of most mutants.
    Yeah but, back in silver age, these kind of application wouldn't be used, if Iceman freezes someone they won't be hurt even though it logically should be lethal, and we saw it being harmless a lot lol.

Not saying it stayed that way, but it's also worth considering how different the physics worked back then, 'cause while there are lethal applications for those powers, back then it wouldn't happen because it was following goofy silver age logic, so I wouldn't consider those points when talking about how strong Jean, Bobby, or anyone else were, as it goes against the spirit of the stories back then, for me at least.

X-Men Red is relaunching! No clue if Jean will be involved but it wouldnt feel right if she wasnt

X-Men Red is relaunching! No clue if Jean will be involved but it wouldnt feel right if she wasnt

Well, it's a good sign that she's pretty much central in this promo, along with Xavier and Erik. As for her still being in the old uniform, I don't think this poster is indicative of how everyone will appear in the new era.

The green mini is omnipotent at this point. There has to be a higher meaning for it to still be in rotation.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Grats on the re-launch of X-Men Red. Hopefully Jean gets the Wolverine treatment and juggles multiple books.

Well, it's a good sign that she's pretty much central in this promo, along with Xavier and Erik. As for her still being in the old uniform, I don't think this poster is indicative of how everyone will appear in the new era.
    Yeah but see there was 0 reason to even include that in the promo image. If Jean was getting a new costume then show it already.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation