Page 53 of 719 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    that's because the ones messing with the concept never had any care or desire to actually respect it, they never considered it belonged to Jean's legacy or planned to actually let her evolve as character long with it, ever since Jean died a second time it was all about plundering what they could leaving Jean in the dust, the phoenix force now it's just an excessively overpowered talking abomination (boy, do i miss the days when it was just an energy signature) whose sole purpose is to corrupt and give phoenix-themed costume make-overs.
    The Phoenix Force was always capable of speech -- although, I also wish it was still an energy signature and a genetic trait passed down and inherited by Jean's children.
    Last edited by Micabe; 02-15-2021 at 02:20 PM.

BANNED

that's because the ones messing with the concept never had any care or desire to actually respect it, they never considered it belonged to Jean's legacy or planned to actually let her evolve as character long with it, ever since Jean died a second time it was all about plundering what they could leaving Jean in the dust, the phoenix force now it's just an excessively overpowered talking abomination (boy, do i miss the days when it was just an energy signature) whose sole purpose is to corrupt and give phoenix-themed costume make-overs.
    From Endsong/Warsong to AvX to Rosenberg to Aaron, the state of the Phoenix is just so much objectively shittier than what it meant before that I find it hard to believe anyone thinks where we are at with it now is good.

Too many male writers, to be honest.

The Phoenix was created specifically to generate a female Thor and look where it is now. And the current state of it as some goofy power-up for whoever is the writer's pet character is rooted in dudes thinking the Phoenix needs to be more about Cyclops, from Greg Pak to Hickman and the AvX team to Rosenberg to Aaron again.

We need Jean and her Phoenix written by a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    The Phoenix Force was always capable of speech -- although, I also wish it was still an energy signature and a genetic trait passed down and inherited by Jean's children.
    Well not in its original form when it was just Jean’s power, then came the first retcon and it spoke for the first time...still the occasions where it would comunicate verbally were so sporadic at best, almost memorable due to their exceptionality... nowadays... it’s like an annoying parrot that just won’t shut up, the more absurd and ridiculous the writing the more marvel requires the bird to talk and so all the mystique is gone along with any sense of wonder.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Well not in its original form when it was just Jean’s power, then came the first retcon and it spoke for the first time...still the occasions where it would comunicate verbally were so sporadic at best, almost memorable due to their exceptionality... nowadays... it’s like an annoying parrot that just won’t shut up, the more absurd and ridiculous the writing the more marvel requires the bird to talk and so all the mystique is gone along with any sense of wonder.

I concur

Phoenix as a independent character from Jean screw up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    From Endsong/Warsong to AvX to Rosenberg to Aaron, the state of the Phoenix is just so much objectively shittier than what it meant before that I find it hard to believe anyone thinks where we are at with it now is good.

Too many male writers, to be honest.

The Phoenix was created specifically to generate a female Thor and look where it is now. And the current state of it as some goofy power-up for whoever is the writer's pet character is rooted in dudes thinking the Phoenix needs to be more about Cyclops, from Greg Pak to Hickman and the AvX team to Rosenberg to Aaron again.

I think a good female writer that also likes Jean could fix this. Phoenix/Jean was always about womanhood and female emancipation. And it has been written only by men all these years. Freaking ironic

I owuldnt mind Weezy writing it, she is so important to x-men but often overlooked because she is a woman. I really do't know many female writers that declared being Jean's fan.
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-15-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Phoenix as an independent character screw up everything. It was quite a decent cosmic force with Rachel, too…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Is there even a way to go back to the Phoenix being just a manifestation of Jean's powers? I feel it would be like trying to close the barn door after all the horses escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    The intent is/was to put Jean back into the only limited narrative box they are/were able to imagine for her, being phoenix made her so much more more than they need her to be.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Is there even a way to go back to the Phoenix being just a manifestation of Jean's powers? I feel it would be like trying to close the barn door after all the horses escaped.
    This is a legit question, maybe it is broken beyond repair

Well bendis tried to recover some of that thunder with Jean pink form but then even that was not ok for the current editor

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Phoenix as an independent character screw up everything. It was quite a decent cosmic force with Rachel, too…
    Well Rachel still has a connection by being genetic daughter of Jean...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Yes please.

A theory I have is that the Phoenix force was created by Shi’ar from some remnants they found after Jean took her life on the moon. They wanted to examine what had happened to Jean, but the experiment went wrong, they created the Phoenix force that then somehow got loose, traveled throughout the universe and through time.
    Making Jean the one, true, original Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    A theory I have is that the Phoenix force was created by Shi’ar from some remnants they found after Jean took her life on the moon. They wanted to examine what had happened to Jean, but the experiment went wrong, they created the Phoenix force that then somehow got loose, traveled throughout the universe and through time.
    Making Jean the one, true, original Phoenix.
    I had a similar headcanon, the pf was just Jean ultimate form projecting her consciousness trough time from the whr, “you were always here waiting for yourself to arrive”

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The Phoenix needs to just take a good and long break again; at least a few years so that it can readjust. Retire it at the end of Jason Aaron's run and then have Hickman bring it back in all of it's Morrison style glory.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey