Page 263 of 719 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313363 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 10783

I wish artists would agree on an official way to draw the mask and gloves. Some artists draw it plain and sloppy and others add a 3D effect style. Same with the gloves and the placement of the belt. I am all for artistic license but I don’t see artists taking so many liberties with other character’s masks or costumes as with Marvelgirl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I wish artists would agree on an official way to draw the mask and gloves. Some artists draw it plain and sloppy and others add a 3D effect style. Same with the gloves and the placement of the belt. I am all for artistic license but I don’t see artists taking so many liberties with other character’s masks or costumes as with Marvelgirl.
    Russell is going to show out for us and make it look good on her trading card variant. Can't wait!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Russell is going to show out for us and make it look good on her trading card variant. Can't wait!
    Come on Russ take some artistic license and put our girl in her yellow and green Xmen Red costume lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Come on Russ take some artistic license and put our girl in her yellow and green Xmen Red costume lol.
    Either that or I want his rendition of the Morrison costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Hope he continues to refuse to draw the dress. He really is a true fan

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    The thing is that if you looked at the period in which she first used that costume, they were also kinda sloppy. But that doesn't mean they should continue to do it now. They could do something like this:

As a reference for the all artists who are drawing the costume now.

Note: I agree with you (as you mentioned on a previous post). The placement of the belt is what makes or break the costume. It should *always* be around her hips, so the skirt flares from there.

EDIT: Since then, Jean grew a bit taller. Last time I saw something official, Jean was 5'6''! :D
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-07-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    The thing is that if you looked at the period in which she first used that costume, they were also kinda sloppy. But that doesn't mean they should continue to do it now. They could do something like this:

As a reference for the all artists who are drawing the costume now.

Note: I agree with you (as you mentioned on a previous post). The placement of the belt is what makes or break the costume. It should *always* be around her hips, so the skirt flares from there.

EDIT: Since then, Jean grew a bit taller. Last time I saw something official, Jean was 5'6''!
    I like this idea, but do not know if today's artist would follow it....

Also, I thought Jean was always 5'6" but that there was an error in the listing here?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like this idea, but do not know if today's artist would follow it....

Also, I thought Jean was always 5'6" but that there was an error in the listing here?
    This "How to draw the X-Men: Phoenix" was made by Dave Cockrum. Every mention of her height that I've seen was written after. So I don't know if he had got it wrong or if they updated a bit her height.

Considering she was created in the 60s, maybe they actually updated it. Even though 5'6'' is pretty average for white female Americans, she's still one of the shorter super heroes.

EDIT: Btw, Dauterman did something similar for his Gala designs and so far it seems the other artists are actually following the instructions/details.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-07-2021 at 02:48 AM.

I think this is pretty much the perfect rendition of the original (except the belt was black).

- Gloves and boots hug close to her body, 3/4 of the lenght of her legs and forearms. The boots make a gentle inverted V shape over the shin bone.
    - The mask is small, feline-like, made by gentle curves that frame her eyes and flatter her cheek bones.
    - Belt is placed around the protusions of her hip bone, kept on place by the dress itself.
    - The neckline is V-shaped and wide, exposing her clavicles.
    - Dress is tailored to her body, the skirt is A-shaped, flaring from the belt down, the lenght being around 1/4 of her thighs.

When it’s draw like this, I think it looks really charming.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-07-2021 at 03:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

This "How to draw the X-Men: Phoenix" was made by Dave Cockrum. Every mention of her height that I've seen was written after. So I don't know if he had got it wrong or if they updated a bit her height.

Considering she was created in the 60s, maybe they actually updated it. Even though 5'6'' is pretty average for white female Americans, she's still one of the shorter super heroes.

EDIT: Btw, Dauterman did something similar for his Gala designs and so far it seems the other artists are actually following the instructions/details.
    Well if we use Cyclop's height as a reference and him being 6'3 I would imagine she's about 5'9 or 5'10

The age of X-man version of the costume made her look like a Disney princess... But it's better than this current/old version

images (1).jpg

I think this is pretty much the perfect rendition of the original (except the belt was black).

- Gloves and boots hug close to her body, 3/4 of the lenght of her legs and forearms. The boots make a gentle inverted V shape over the shin bone.
    - The mask is small, feline-like, made by gentle curves that frame her eyes and flatter her cheek bones.
    - Belt is placed around the protusions of her hip bone, kept on place by the dress itself.
    - The neckline is V-shaped and wide, exposing her clavicles.
    - Dress is tailored to her body, the skirt is A-shaped, flaring from the belt down, the lenght being around 1/4 of her thighs.

When it’s draw like this, I think it looks really charming.
    I think Jean looks beautiful here and that her costume looks perfect in drawing and coloring.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Well if we use Cyclop's height as a reference and him being 6'3 I would imagine she's about 5'9 or 5'10
    Exactly! Scott never towered over Jean or any of the other X-Men before. I totaly agree 5'9" or even 5'10" is probably much more accurate for Jean's height.

In addition, Jean never mentions herself as being short or "one of the shorter heroes".

However, Jean did state that she has unnaturally thin wrists and ankles, but makes up for it with an Extremely Buff Mind!

The Phoenix Handbook has her at 5'6, AoA Jean is 5'7 and Ultimate Jean was 5'5.

She's not too much taller then Wolverine who is 5'3

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't know of a more recent one, but this is from X-Men: Messiah Complex - Mutant Files.

This is a screenshot of the viewport (ortographic view) of my 3D models of the characters. Here, Scott is 1.92m (~6'3.5'') and Jean is 1.68m (~5'6''). I used the least volumous hair wig I had on her so she wouldn't appear taller than she is.

Of course, their proportions are exaggerated (both have long legs, Jean has ridiculously long legs to follow Dave Cockrum's instructions) but their heights are actually represented by those numbers, so I think it'd be safe to say that his chin should be able to rest on the top her head when they're both barefoot.

We normally don't see it in the comics, though. That's why I said on the Scott and Jean's appreciation thread that they normally draw her too tall.

I was actually surprised when, after reading comics for a good 10 years, I found out how tall she actually is supposed to be. Judging by the art, I'd always had the feeling she was a tall woman. According to her files, she's not. :D

I grew used to the idea she is of average height and now I quite like it, actually. :)