Page 209 of 719 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309709 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 10783
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    ...Well, thing is, who said that? Jean is sadly not a fan favorite character by most authors. There's Percy. Which cool, he wrote her nicely in the issues of X-Force he had, but she also left the team and overall I wouldn't say his run had much impact on her character. Rosenberg actually did, but then his Jean turned out to be average at best. Taylor likes her now, but afaik he wasn't a big Jean fan before writing X-Men Red, he became one during the process (of writing a book that was editorially mandated to focus on her).
    I won't remember the names now and I wouldn't know where to begin to look for them. Some writers who have written her pre-Morrison run, some who mentioned her during the time she was actually dead... I'm sorry, it's been a long time and this pandemic is affecting my memory in ways that are embarrassing, really. :D But I read it on interviews with different writers that they liked her. None of the current people on the x-office, though.

That being said, I do think that if a writer is neutral about Jean and they go do their research so they can write her well, they'll fall in love with her. But if they base their writing in the "meh" feeling they might have about her beforehand, then we get a Jean that is just in the covers to help the sales, while inside the comics she's just doing the minimal you'd expect of the telepath of the team.

EDIT: The problem, I think, is that Jean was dead for 15 years. Many of the younger writers probably didn't read much with her. So, it's very likely that their opinion of her is one that was repeated over and over: "she's boring, she's a goodie two-shoes, she's just a girlfrienc, etc, etc, etc..."
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-16-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks for replying, guys. But, really, it's just a feeling. It's not rational at all. It's not really based on any concrete evidence. I'm really hoping we'll get a good book out of it.

I didn't read many interviews with Duggan so I was just wondering if anyone read his saying something positive about her, so maybe I could put this feeling to rest. That was really it and since the thread had got a bit quiet, I thought I could ask.

No hidden agenda here. But again: thank you all. It helped. :)

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I mean, I do agree that acting like Jean isn't a fan favorite among writers is disingenuous.

She is clearly one of Claremont's favorite characters to use, she is Louise Simonson's absolute favorite character, writers like Lobdell and Nizieza have expressed that they were fond of her, Kelly/Seagle had her as a focus of their run by choice, Mike Carey was trying for years to bring Jean back (and did so successfully, even if it was retconned, in the form of the Messiah Complex baby that was later defined as Hope), Bendis has expressed that Jean is one of his absolute favorite characters because she reminds him of his wife, Hopeless has said she's one of his favorites and made Season One entirely about her as well as wrote her solo ongoing, Rosenberg wrote an entire open letter about how much he loved her, Nadler and Thompson went out of their way to use and showcase her as the lynchpin of the X-Men in Age of X-Man, Percy has said he likes her, she's Dauterman's #1 favorite (and yes, he counts, since he plotted GSXM Jean/Emma). Hell, even JDW has said in the past that Jean is one of his favorite characters.

I genuinely don't think that we have anything to worry about even if Duggan hasn't stated anything on the record about how he feels about Jean. From what I've seen and heard, the entire X-Men team and it's premise was Duggan's idea, not Hickman's. Hickman came up with the election and then they went from there with the whole letting fans take care of it, but Jean and Scott reforming the official X-Men is an idea that came from Duggan. That has to mean something.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

JDW never said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I mean, I do agree that acting like Jean isn't a fan favorite among writers is disingenuous.

She is clearly one of Claremont's favorite characters to use, she is Louise Simonson's absolute favorite character, writers like Lobdell and Nizieza have expressed that they were fond of her, Kelly/Seagle had her as a focus of their run by choice, Mike Carey was trying for years to bring Jean back (and did so successfully, even if it was retconned, in the form of the Messiah Complex baby that was later defined as Hope), Bendis has expressed that Jean is one of his absolute favorite characters because she reminds him of his wife, Hopeless has said she's one of his favorites and made Season One entirely about her as well as wrote her solo ongoing, Rosenberg wrote an entire open letter about how much he loved her, Nadler and Thompson went out of their way to use and showcase her as the lynchpin of the X-Men in Age of X-Man, Percy has said he likes her, she's Dauterman's #1 favorite (and yes, he counts, since he plotted GSXM Jean/Emma). Hell, even JDW has said in the past that Jean is one of his favorite characters.

I genuinely don't think that we have anything to worry about even if Duggan hasn't stated anything on the record about how he feels about Jean. From what I've seen and heard, the entire X-Men team and it's premise was Duggan's idea, not Hickman's. Hickman came up with the election and then they went from there with the whole letting fans take care of it, but Jean and Scott reforming the official X-Men is an idea that came from Duggan. That has to mean something.
    Thank you. As you read your post, I remembered reading some of the writers talking about Jean indeed. But it's nice to add others to my mental list.

I guess you guys are right and I'm just being silly. Like I said, I had no real reason to believe it. So again: thank you.

I mean current writers at Marvel. Claremont and Simonson liking her doesn't help. And no Dauterman absolutely does not count LOL.

I'm not being negative about Duggan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    JDW never said that.
    he never said he has a favorite character

Majority of writers arn't even working on X-men comics. Dauterman ploted the giant size copying a lot of the story beats from the Morrison issue, he is just a penciller itht is barely used on anything.
    Percy is more worried about Jean kissing Logan than about her character development.

About Duggan, he wears his favorites on his sleeves. You can see he is a big fanboy of Rogue and Emma Frost. I don't really have hopes for Jean with his writing.
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-16-2021 at 11:27 AM.

I really liked Jean in Cable. She wasn’t used that much. But when she was there she was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    he never said he has a favorite character

Majority of writers arn't even working on X-men comics. Dauterman ploted the giant size copying a lot of the story beats from the Morrison issue, he is just a penciller itht is barely used on anything.
    Percy is more worried about Jean kissing Logan than about her character development.

About Duggan, he wears his favorites on his sleeves. You can see he is a big fanboy of Rogue and Emma Frost. I don't really have hopes for Jean with his writing.
    Percy is such a bad writer

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    I really liked Jean in Cable. She wasn’t used that much. But when she was there she was good.
    See, Scott is on the same issue/page/panels as her, so it's terrible actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    See, Scott is on the same issue/page/panels as her, so it's terrible actually.

I hadn’t thought of that. That he writes them as a great bad guy stomping duo. Makes me feel even better when it comes to the new X-Men book.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post

I hadn’t thought of that. That he writes them as a great bad guy stomping duo. Makes me feel even better when it comes to the new X-Men book.
    Honestly it made me really happy when I saw the preview pages from X-Men #1 with Jean and Scott leading the rest of the team holding hands.

I love the fact that they can be an awesome crime fighting superhero pair. But you know, some people will say she's just there as an accessory.

"We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Communication accessory. Telephone, specifically lmfao.

Honestly it made me really happy when I saw the preview pages from X-Men #1 with Jean and Scott leading the rest of the team holding hands.

I love the fact that they can be an awesome crime fighting superhero pair. But you know, some people will say she's just there as an accessory.
    Having a romantic interest is not what puts a female character in a secondary/support role. Bad writing does that.