Page 676 of 719 FirstFirst ... 176576626666672673674675676677678679680686 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,140 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidMule View Post
    I like your take, Mercury.
    Thanks! I really do think that’s how Percy intended Jean’s dialogue to be read, but, because it’s not a well-written scene, it can be interpreted the other way.

I hate how Percy has characterized Jean in the last few appearances. Completely juvenile version of her. It's like he is living some toxic fanboy fantasy. I mean I get that writers identify with their characters in some way but man. The last karaoke scene too. "Sing with me, Logan." "Grumble, Grumble. Rather swallow crushed glass." "Tee-hee, you're no fun." WTH is that ( He literally has said this is autobiographical). I am a mean looking, moody, big, gruff guy (I'm also old and a veteran) but if the woman I professed to love (in my case, my wife) asked me to sing karaoke, I'd be over myself and up making an ass out of myself singing ABBA (or whatever she chose) until my voice was hoarse, just to see her smile and laugh.
    lmao @ “Tee-hee”!

Aw. I totally understand where you’re coming from, and you’re not the only fan that feels this way. Personally, I liked the karaoke scene because it underscored Jean and Ororo’s friendship, but you made a good point regarding Logan declining Jean’s request for him to sing with her. Also, your own sentiments regarding your wife are too sweet! 😭❤️

As for Jean’s other recent appearances in X-Force, they’ve left me wanting, especially compared to how Percy wrote Jean while she was still a part of the team.

It's almost like he purposely keeps bring Jean back to keep the stupid thing going because he can't let it go.
    He genuinely likes and understands her, intellectually, at least (see quote and description below), but his characterization of her when she’s not involved in a conflict seems rather awkward and clumsy.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Thanks! I really do think that’s how Percy intended Jean’s dialogue to be read, but, because it’s not a well-written scene, it can be interpreted the other way.

lmao @ “Tee-hee”!

Aw. I totally understand where you’re coming from, and you’re not the only fan that feels this way. Personally, I liked the karaoke scene because it underscored Jean and Ororo’s friendship, but you made a good point regarding Logan declining Jean’s request for him to sing with her. Also, your own sentiments regarding your wife are too sweet! ��❤️

As for Jean’s other recent appearances in X-Force, they’ve left me wanting, especially compared to how Percy wrote Jean while she was still a part of the team.

He genuinely likes and understands her, intellectually, at least (see quote and description below), but his characterization of her when she’s not involved in a conflict seems rather awkward and clumsy.

Wish we actually saw more of this from Percy's Jean, his strongest use of her remains the first 2 issues imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Wish we actually saw more of this from Percy's Jean, his strongest use of her remains the first 2 issues imo!
    He gave Jean great moments throughout her time with X-Force. I love this scene from issue #3, during which he underscores her power - she resurrects Xavier without wearing Cerebro - and delves into her thoughts about death, which I find profound.

Percy needs to never write Jean again. He is an example of its better to not see her then see her and be disappointed

BANNED

The only things Percy did wrong was temporarily fridging her within the canon of the Wolverine solo and then having her be too weak for X-Force. Overall, Jean is pretty great under him. It sucks that he defaulted to the "too nice for this world" flanderization instead of having her actually deal with Beast and handle X-Force like a real character, but she was pretty good for a while. She even did Care Bear Stare stuff for Quentin lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The only things Percy did wrong was temporarily fridging her within the canon of the Wolverine solo and then having her be too weak for X-Force. Overall, Jean is pretty great under him. It sucks that he defaulted to the "too nice for this world" flanderization instead of having her actually deal with Beast and handle X-Force like a real character, but she was pretty good for a while. She even did Care Bear Stare stuff for Quentin lolol
    Oh, Kitty, you always have me like -

BANNED

Oh, Kitty, you always have me like -

What spot did I miss?

What spot did I miss?

I swear, you are obliviously cute. 😂 The gif was intended to be sarcastic.

lmao @ “Tee-hee”!

Aw. I totally understand where you’re coming from, and you’re not the only fan that feels this way. Personally, I liked the karaoke scene because it underscored Jean and Ororo’s friendship, but you made a good point regarding Logan declining Jean’s request for him to sing with her. Also, your own sentiments regarding your wife are too sweet! 😭❤️

I agree that, intellectually, he wants to write her and did in the beginning (minus the clumsy attempts at romance). Lately, though, pretty horrible. I also agree that the scene with Storm was awesome. That is the dichotomy I find with his writing. Really good or horribly bad. His Green Arrow, really good. His Nightwing, really bad. I love his novels, The Wilding being my favorite and he handles relationships realistically and very well in it.

Anyway, i don't want to co-opt the thread and turn it into an I" I hate his writing thread". Lol. I think a large part of it is generational as well. I grew up with Scott and Jean and read their struggles in X-factor as they came out and remember groaning when Morrison did what they did. Since then I was hoping for a reconciliation and so far I'm enjoying what i have. I do admit it is sort of genius to leave it open for anyone to have the head cannon they want.

BANNED

I swear, you are obliviously cute. �� The gif was intended to be sarcastic.
    I decided to address it literally because I didn't understand your figurative meaning either lol

I don’t think this scene indicates that. It seems to me Jean is commenting on her friendship with Logan more than anything else.
    It's cleary meant to about their romantic relationship
    Either way even if you wanna take it as just friendship it's still forced af, I mean Scott was her best friend before becoming her lover, how many times did they fight as both friends and as a couple and later make up but apparently Jean just forgot about her whole story with Scott lol
    It's obvious they're trying hard to give Scott's role in Jean's heart and life to Logan and it just feels...urgh
    I hope we'll soon get a writer who will make Jean's character justice but I'm not holding my breath

BANNED

Must Jean's every waking thought (and even conversation with entirely unrelated characters that don't have a connection to him at all) be about Cyclops?

This kind of thing is exactly why they need to be split up (again). Eew.

Extraordinary Member

Must Jean's every waking thought (and even conversation with entirely unrelated characters that don't have a connection to him at all) be about Cyclops?

This kind of thing is exactly why they need to be split up (again). Eew.
    I would point out that her "every waking thought" being about Logan is not a trade up, but than I saw your signature. Whatever you think of that relationship, there is absolutely nothing on paper to set a precedent for what Percy forced out of her mouth in that scene.

If Percy had continued the story he was telling with the confrontation between Jean and Beast, and with the proper characterization of them being a constant, he would have become one of my top writers in this era. But he dropped that, sadly. Even without Jean, I used to enjoy X-Force a lot (I'm a big Sage fan so I was always waiting for something more for her too) but now it has become uninteresting to me, all the important stuff with the villains went nowhere. Hope it gets better next year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I would point out that her "every waking thought" being about Logan is not a trade up, but than I saw your signature. Whatever you think of that relationship, there is absolutely nothing on paper to set a precedent for what Percy forced out of her mouth in that scene.
    The odd thing about the scene is the fights referenced that we have never seen. There is nothing suggestive or wrong with what she says. It's just people who don't even like the character being weird about her as usual because she's a symbol of some other character's manhood. Codependence can be ugly and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    If Percy had continued the story he was telling with the confrontation between Jean and Beast, and with the proper characterization of them being a constant, he would have become one of my top writers in this era. But he dropped that, sadly. Even without Jean, I used to enjoy X-Force a lot (I'm a big Sage fan so I was always waiting for something more for her too) but now it has become uninteresting to me, all the important stuff with the villains went nowhere. Hope it gets better next year.
    I'm a bit surprised the book is just continuing unchanged. Seems like it ran out of favor with even those who once liked it most of all.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 12-15-2021 at 09:40 PM.