Page 415 of 719 FirstFirst ... 315365405411412413414415416417418419425465515 ... LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,225 of 10783

After complimenting him on his wonderful work on the costume redesigns for the X-Men and requesting that he send me a clearer sketch of Jean's costume, artist John McGuinness was nice enough to oblige. I love it.

Astonishing Member

Stylish, simple and carries enough familiar elements from past costumes to be recognizable as her.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJones View Post
    So, I’m not great at making costumes but I found these online! I’m going to comic con Brisbane as Phoenix Jean Grey. I already have the red hair (though, I have a better choice in men - haha, sorry!) Attachment 112149
    Welcome to the Boards!

Both costumes look great! Are you thinking of adding the golden wings to the Classic Phoenix costume? The color appears to be the same and it might look spectacular.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Good for you, Fleur. Have fun and knock 'em out!

Also, just wanted to share this fabulous piece by artist John McGuinness of the X-Men - and Jean, of course - in new costumes:

I do like these costumes. Everyone has their own unique design, but the color scheme and "X" on the belt say they are a team.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Stylish, simple and carries enough familiar elements from past costumes to be recognizable as her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I do like these costumes. Everyone has their own unique design, but the color scheme and "X" on the belt say they are a team.
    I agree.

In other news, I just found out about Jean taking off Cyclops' visor and containing his optic blast in Uncanny X-Men #22 (2019). Oh, and that was without the aid of the Phoenix Force...

I’m just now seeing these gorgeous alternate covers by Mike Mathew:

These are gorgeous! Could this be an indication of future things??

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Jean shines again in X-Men #2 today. I won't spoil it, but it's an overall fun book that I highly recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes. She did very well. Loved seeing the teamwork from the team.
    I'm reading her moment with Synch and... 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

"Your power is immeasurable, Jean."
    It is great to have some more positive Jean moments.

"Your power is immeasurable, Jean." comment seems to be more than just Jean's TP, but her "Power" which to me, means all of her powers being immeasurable: TK, Empathy, sensing mutants, etc.

After complimenting him on his wonderful work on the costume redesigns for the X-Men and requesting that he send me a clearer sketch of Jean's costume, artist John McGuinness was nice enough to oblige. I love it.

I LOVE this for Jean! Jean needs to get this costume N-O-W, lol!

I agree.

In other news, I just found out about Jean taking off Cyclops' visor and containing his optic blast in Uncanny X-Men #22 (2019). Oh, and that was without the aid of the Phoenix Force...

This is a great find, Mercury!

This shows us ALL, that Jeans's TK as well as all of her powers, have made a quantum leap from years ago, where Jean required the PF to do certain things that she can now do all by herself and without strain!

Duggan writes on heck of a Jean. My fave moment was a subtle one. While using her tk to fight she in what had to be a second showed Laura a 2 hour movie. Lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Jean was really fantastic in today's issue. Contrary to how some have felt, Jean has still been able to demonstrate her TK and utilize her telepathy in impressive ways. Kudos to Duggan for some creative displays of Jean's telepathy.

Love her mentorship with Ev! <3

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I agree.

That was an emotional panel. But don't forget this wasn't the first time Jean held back Scott's optic blasts. Back during X-Cutioner's Song Scott played dead with his visor off while Jean held them back to fool the Dark Riders while trying to escape on the moon. So it's just showing the depth of their connection and the finesse of Jean's control.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    For me, I think a lot of it has to do with how writers see Jean's personality. She's a character that has a lot of compassion and empathy at her core, and I don't think people always associate that with being "strong" in the traditional sense. It's not a problem every writer has, but I think a lot of people tend to pigeonhole her in a more support capacity because of her persona, and that leads to Jean often not fully utilizing the potential she has.

You can have a lot of empathy, and be kind, and still be powerful and kick ass. I think people struggle with that. That's just my opinion though.
    Sexism as well! The limitations that are thrust upon female characters especially "kind" character has always been so demeaning to me. Especially with Jean's experiences she should be a more firmly grounded individual, so to see her quite casually placed in situations that test her resolve and she folds is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    In terms of powers, I think it's purely for the plot the writer wants to tell. For example, in the last Cable issue, Jean and Esme worked together in something that Jean could easily do alone. I think the intention was to show team-work, and Jean helping Esme in an emotional moment. Sometimes it's done with respect, like Duggan did in that issue, but in other occasions it's done with a tone that seems like a joke, and to show her as "weaker". Like, "I dunno, try harder Marvel Girl", from Hickman in HoX/PoX (I do think that Hickman is not a fan of her).

In terms of development, I don't really know, my only explanation is that the office just don't have interest on her now. It baffles me that she hasn't really talked about herself in ages. Except for some bits in X-Force, there's been almost nothing personal about her. Her cosmic connections were severed, her past is not touched, she went to help the Shi'ar without even mentioning a thing about her history with them, she doesn't even talk about her family (Rachel is just there, how can they just ignore that part of their history?), the writers insist that "things happen off-panel too" but who cares about that, we want to read it.

All of this!

Development has been the biggest detriment to Jean imo, almost nothing she does, whether power display or character interaction are followed up on in meaningful ways. Anytime Jean does have a unique interaction it is forgotten or the development is continued with another character.

For example: You guys were talking about Jean helping Jessica Jones in the Alias series, then fast-forward a few years Purple Man returns and Jessica and Jean's interaction has never been mentioned again. In fact, I think Kelly Thompson wrote a similar story involving Jessica and Emma Frost.

Maybe not the best example but I just noticed with other character usually there are in-story reasons for why a character who is so involved with a previous story beat isn't present. With Jean usually any contributions she's made at all are forgotten. Unless it involves, Scott, Logan, or the PF!

Thank you! I will definitely read these issues. Isn't it fitting that Jean, a survivor of trauma herself, would help someone transcend their own.

I think you will really like Morrison's run. It's darker than what Claremont and Byrne were doing and Jean's arc is not only epic but cosmic. It's quite amazing. Morrison wrote one of the best versions of Jean ever.
    One of the best parts of Jean's appearances in Alias was that the flashback occurred during the 90's when she was back in the Phoenix garb and the other appearance during Morrison's NXM run, which was the cherry on top.

I agree.

I was gonna post these soon but since you started...Jean has also done so at least 2 other times, sans Phoenix Force

And yes today's X-Men #2 was very cool! Love Jean training/bonding with Synch...love Jean+Polaris, and all of the team dynamics. And I was surprised Emma vouched for Jean's training acumen to Synch.

One thing though...Duggan had Jean say she's never been able to read a dead mind before...but I thought she read a freshly dead Maddrox dupe's mind in early X-Force to get some memory fragments?

And going back further, she even read a dead dog's memory's in a Chuck Austin era issue (with Juggernaut, Squid Boy, etc)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Sexism as well! The limitations that are thrust upon female characters especially "kind" character has always been so demeaning to me. Especially with Jean's experiences she should be a more firmly grounded individual, so to see her quite casually placed in situations that test her resolve and she folds is unfortunate.

All of this!

Development has been the biggest detriment to Jean imo, almost nothing she does, whether power display or character interaction are followed up on in meaningful ways. Anytime Jean does have a unique interaction it is forgotten or the development is continued with another character.

For example: You guys were talking about Jean helping Jessica Jones in the Alias series, then fast-forward a few years Purple Man returns and Jessica and Jean's interaction has never been mentioned again. In fact, I think Kelly Thompson wrote a similar story involving Jessica and Emma Frost.

Maybe not the best example but I just noticed with other character usually there are in-story reasons for why a character who is so involved with a previous story beat isn't present. With Jean usually any contributions she's made at all are forgotten. Unless it involves, Scott, Logan, or the PF!

One of the best parts of Jean's appearances in Alias was that the flashback occurred during the 90's when she was back in the Phoenix garb and the other appearance during Morrison's NXM run, which was the cherry on top.
    Few X-Men these days maintain any times with non mutants. Magik maintain her relationship with her mentor Dr. Strange. Captain Britain has her Otherworld duties. Beyond that there isn’t much so of course they are not going to pay attention to a Jean’s flashbacks in Alias. Jean being kept dead for so long didn’t help, either.

Still she’s in a good place in X-Men 2 and thankfully most of the people she is normally associated with like Wolverine, Iceman, or Storm aren’t on the team. We finally see her work with Polaris and Rogue, and this is the first time she has worked with Sunfire and Synch. Glad she is working with Laura again.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 08-04-2021 at 06:57 AM.