Page 522 of 719 FirstFirst ... 22422472512518519520521522523524525526532572622 ... LastLast
Results 7,816 to 7,830 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    So Emma figured out about cloaking. She does not need to be warned, she's a powerful telepath after all. Plus she has the cuckoos with her.

I don't expect Jean to outshine Emma specially when Leah is the one writing.
    Honestly, I don’t think it’s a matter of Leah favoring Emma. I think she wanted to add tension because Jean was adamantly not gonna mind-wipe the Avengers. So it briefly became, “oh no! Jean doesn’t want to mind-wipe them, but they are gonna learn the secret of Resurrection”.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Honestly, I don’t think it’s a matter of Leah favoring Emma. I think she wanted to add tension because Jean was adamantly not gonna mind-wipe the Avengers. So it briefly became, “oh no! Jean doesn’t want to mind-wipe them, but they are gonna learn the secret of Resurrection”.
    Just like in the movies. Tension (with suspenseful music), followed by a sigh of relief.

I for one agree that Jean is not involved in cloaking. The cloaking is all Emma's doing. When Hope asked Professor X why not get help fro Emma and Jean. His response was they are both busy with an urgent matter of diplomacy.
    Lorna is asking Jean to erase the memories, that was what Lorna was asking, which, historically Jean is not comfortable doing willy-nillly. Because it is indeed a breach especially with allies they invited over.

So Emma figured out about cloaking. She does not need to be warned, she's a powerful telepath after all. Plus she has the cuckoos with her.

I don't expect Jean to outshine Emma specially when Leah is the one writing.

What kindda stuck with me, is Polaris mentioned about 'Hope telepathically masking the Hatchery'. I did not realize Hope is a telepath, let alone do telepathic cloaking like Polaris stated. Doesn't hope need a telepath in range to do that?
    I pretty much agree with you. Also, apparently Hope is both a telepath and telekinetic.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    I think both are true. Leah’s Emma fangirlism definitely showed through, but I don’t mind it because she’s been treating Jean like an A-lister in this series, which I am sort of shocked by. She’s earned the right to push her fave as far as Im concerned.

Sabretooth gets a title and Jean: Girl

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I pretty much agree with you. Also, apparently Hope is both a telepath and telekinetic.
    When did that happen? When Hope and Jean faced off while mourning Old Cable's death, she mimicked Jean's TK. And Jean said "can't defeat me with my own powers".

Hope is not a TP or TK. She has never used either power on her own and has always had to mimic someone else

When did that happen? When Hope and Jean faced off while mourning Old Cable's death, she mimicked Jean's TK. And Jean said "can't defeat me with my own powers".
    He/she probably saw that Encyclopedia entry in the TOM thread. Its an error, which isnt too uncommon. Nothing in the books supports that inconsistency

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Hope is not a TP or TK. She has never used either power on her own and has always had to mimic someone else

He/she probably saw that Encyclopedia entry in the TOM thread. Its an error, which isnt too uncommon. Nothing in the books supports that inconsistency
    It amazes me how many characters have been inspired by what was once Jean's unique powerset, i.e., telepathy and telekinesis. It grates on my nerves, but then I remember that Jean is the blueprint.

A character designer for Marvel Studios' "What If...?" series Amelia Vidal shared her design for Jean...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Sabretooth gets a title and Jean: Girl
    I'm just eye-rolling that it's Sabretooth of all characters. Time will come for another Jean solo at some point in the distant future.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 09-16-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I'm just eye-rolling that it's Sabretooth of all characters. Time will come for another Jean solo at some point in the distant future.
    Fans: Marvel, please give an X-Woman a solo

Marvel: Wolverine!

Fans: 1 woman. Pick one.

Marvel: Cable…

Fans: Storm. Emma. Psylocke. Pixie. So many choices.

Marvel: JUGGERNAUT.

Fans: …

Marvel: s a b r e t o o t h ?

I found it very interesting, it was from twitter

BANNED

It amazes me how many characters have been inspired by what was once Jean's unique powerset, i.e., telepathy and telekinesis. It grates on my nerves, but then I remember that Jean is the blueprint.
    A fan making an inaccurate entry on the internet does not make Hope a telepath/telekinetic. It just means the fan was wrong. Anyone can put anything online. It doesn’t mean it’s accurate or the source as credible.

Yes it's very annoying...bad enough Hope already bares an extremely close visual similarity to Jean, and then the Phoenix connection...let's not have her also rip her off by having baseline dual-psi powers. She even subbed for the "red headed telepath helping Xavier" spot, but I'm fine with that because Jean has outgrown that role and if present, Xavier would be in the support position.

Besides the aforementioned time Jean out-TKed her...didn't Hope used to have to tap into Cable's TP&TK back when they were on the run together?

Anywho, I get where Tank is coming from for The Trial of Magneto #2, and for me it's almost like a characterization version of a backhanded compliment. Yes Jean has morals and an ethical code, but playing it up to the point of almost letting Krakoa's resurrection protocols being expose, it takes away from Jean's practicality, decisiveness, and resourcefulness. Jean is instead bereft of alternatives besides invasive memory alteration, but surprise surprise, under Leah's pen, somehow only Emma can come up with something as simple and obvious as a benign psionic projection. I knew from the issue's title page, despite being advertised in the preview pages, that when I saw that Jean's face was not in the character roster section, to temper expectations. Jean felt like a role, "welcome wagon hugs" "moral exposition" "pacifier"(Northstar), "generic TK shield"(though yes I do love seeing her team up with Rachel).

Jean looked great without the mask btw.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Fans: Marvel, please give an X-Woman a solo

Marvel: Wolverine!

Fans: 1 woman. Pick one.

Marvel: Cable…

Fans: Storm. Emma. Psylocke. Pixie. So many choices.

Marvel: JUGGERNAUT.

Fans: …

Marvel: s a b r e t o o t h ?

I found it very interesting, it was from twitter
    Lmao, this is hilarious and true.

The dummies. Magik is such a goldmine. She's queen of a demon world with limitless mobility. She can be anywhere.

Magik would outsell this whole franchise bookwise if she was a Manga character.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    Yes it's very annoying...bad enough Hope already bares an extremely close visual similarity to Jean, and then the Phoenix connection...let's not have her also rip her off by having baseline dual-psi powers. She even subbed for the "red headed telepath helping Xavier" spot, but I'm fine with that because Jean has outgrown that role and if present, Xavier would be in the support position.
    It's telling that no one really remembers other telekinetic/telepathic characters outside of Jean. That's enough for me to rest easy.

In either case, I view Jean's connection to Krakoa (and Xavier) differently now, especially after witnessing her realize she could and would be forced to choose between fighting alongside her family, friends, and mutants as a whole, i.e., "the people," and remaining loyal to the Quiet Council. As I see it, she had already played along long enough, barely letting Beast and X-Force get away with their nefarious doings because of her loyalty, before her moral code forced her to exit that team. However, once the QC made it clear that they found the their little inner circle more important than the people they were appointed to represent and protect, she bowed out and picked her side: the people.

Furthermore, her rejection of the offer to rejoin the QC, coupled with her decision to form the new team and move away, is very telling. Krakoa never felt like her type of party, especially if you consider what she saw as her ideal - her "dream" - in X-Men: Red, so it felt good to see her step one foot out of the Krakoan empire. It felt very... her. I say all of this to both underscore that she has been depicted very much in character within the last year or so and to suggest that with Inferno on the horizon, this may be the position the writers are slowly choosing to place her in, i.e., as someone fighting against both those perpetually calling for the destruction of mutants and a mutant cult that has gone wrong.

Besides the aforementioned time Jean out-TKed her...didn't Hope used to have to tap into Cable's TP&TK back when they were on the run together?
    Marvel's wiki and other pages don't even acknowledge that Hope has telepathic or telekinetic capabilities, so I honestly think it was a mistake; either that or an unstated retcon.

Anywho, I get where Tank is coming from for The Trial of Magneto #2, and for me it's almost like a characterization version of a backhanded compliment. Yes Jean has morals and an ethical code, but playing it up to the point of almost letting Krakoa's resurrection protocols being expose, it takes away from Jean's practicality, decisiveness, and resourcefulness. Jean is instead bereft of alternatives besides invasive memory alteration, but surprise surprise, under Leah's pen, somehow only Emma can come up with something as simple and obvious as a benign psionic projection.
    First, I think it's important to consider the emotional moments Jean shared with Vision and the rest of the Avengers instances before Lorna alerted her that it was "too late...to telepathically mask the place." Clearly, Jean was preoccupied with these exchanges and also didn't consider that the Avengers would be given a tour of the Hatchery. Now, one can argue that Jean should have been written to know better and multitask, but what was written was also realistic, and I don't interpret it as Jean being nerfed. (Where was Scott, by the way?)

Mind you, I am not the greatest fan of Leah; however, she was very clever in how she fashioned a moment for one of her favorite characters (Emma) while not taking anything away from and, in fact, paying respect to Jean as the First Lady and one of the premier leaders of the X-Men and Krakoa as a whole. In fact, she was rendered as if she were one of the most important members of the QC, being the one to greet the Avengers first and most impactfully, while Cyclops and Wolverine stood behind her...

As you can read on the page above, the only thing Jean refused to do was mindwipe the Avengers. This is clear, understandable, and totally in character for her, especially considering the aforementioned exchanges she shared with them just instances before. Furthermore, Emma was not written as "com[ing] up" with anything first or being willing to do something Jean was not willing to do. The only advantage Emma was shown having was already being in the Hatchery, which allowed her to "mask the place." As the next page makes clear, she did not mindwipe the Avengers.

You may ask, How did she find out the Avengers were headed there? She could have been either eavesdropping on Jean and Lorna's conversation, picked it up on her own since she wasn't preoccupied, or even alerted by the Cuckoos. She could have found out in a number of ways. In either case, I think Leah did an admirable job of not showing favoritism in this scene. Had she written Emma deciding to mindwipe them, then maybe you would have an argument. (It's also important to note that she could have just as easily excluded Jean from this miniseries completely, which is actually what I thought she was going to do.)

I knew from the issue's title page, despite being advertised in the preview pages, that when I saw that Jean's face was not in the character roster section, to temper expectations. Jean felt like a role, "welcome wagon hugs" "moral exposition" "pacifier"(Northstar), "generic TK shield"(though yes I do love seeing her team up with Rachel).
    I think she did a little more than that. She was depicted as the heart of the X-Men and one of the most important people in Krakoa even though she no longer lives there and has no official position in its government. Also, the moment Leah gave Jean and Vision was sublime. (You have no idea how many Wanda fans have reacted positively to that hug, which they feel indicates Jean's feeling for Wanda. In fact, you may have an idea because a fan of Wanda's posted their feelings about it, and how it's made them look at Jean differently, in this very thread.)

Jean looked great without the mask btw.
    I totally agree! I tweeted Werneck, telling him "I need you on a Jean Grey solo now." He actually quote-tweeted it with the reply, "My dream." I can tell!

Werneck's tweet: https://twitter.com/LukasWerneck/sta...01003564421126

BANNED

If they pin the X-Men/mutants going back to the super-classic (read lazy and nostalgic) mansion setting on Jean, I swear to god.