Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
Since the very early issues, Scott was protective of her. Being protective is in his personality. It's not a matter of not trusting or trying to subjugate her. It's his way of caring and loving.

Things became an actual problem for him during the time she was merged with the Phoenix. We tend to forget but, at some point, they formed their psychic rapport. He lived *her* struggle and *her* fear on top of his own. He felt her death!

Imagine it was must have been like for that poor man: one second she's there, a comforting presence in his mind (I'll repost some panels I shared on the couple's appreciation thread), the next second she's not.

Imagine the silence. The void. The despair.

She was not just his best friend. He loved her deeply. They were going to get married.

One doesn't get over it easily. It was a process for him and it there was still a tender spot when it came to the Phoenix. There will most likely always be, especially now that he knows first hand how it feels to deal with all that power.

But like I said, that period of the 90s was great for them. They stability in their relationship and the fact they have such a positive influence of modulating the other's more extreme tendencies, allowed both of to become stronger, calmer, more confident. It felt like a natural progression for them, the sign of emotional maturity.

And yes, the way he behaves towards her this entire issue is amazing.
I hear you, but there is protective and then there is borderline infantilization. Jean outright tells Scott not to baby her

Screenshot_20210618-123655_Marvel Unlimited.jpg

Screenshot_20210618-123713_Marvel Unlimited.jpg

Storm has called him out on it, so has Beast. Whether internal thought bubbles or direct speech of him saying stuff like "Are you sure? The strain might be too much" and variations thereof, it's been a consistent trend from him.

It's why his confidence in Jean while Banshee is practically freaking out in X-Men #28 stood out to me....even if he still felt the need earlier to be all "OMG Jean what's gotten into you, questioning THE PROFESSOR ™️ like that!"