Page 655 of 719 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655656657658659665705 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,825 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't think this is true. The vast majority of people loved her X-Men Blue look.
    Which costume is this? (Not that red/blue one right?)
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Took a break from comics from June. Caught up with the X-books last weekend when I binge read them all. Back in June the Jean Grey appreciation thread was around 250 pages. When I got back it was around 650. Wow. Jean Grey fans rule.

I am a bit worried that the only X-Men story that seems important is the one in Inferno. I love that Jean is in the flagship title, I just wish it felt more essential.

When I first started reading X-Men #4 I groaned. ”Not another story where the heroes are trapped in some sort of illusion.” But then Jean took charge, and I loved everything she did. She was so amazing, and I have been let down so often in the Hickman era that I was sure that Nightmare would go: ”Haha. Did you honestly think it would be that easy.” I am so happy that didn’t happen.

My favorite moment was when Jean calmed down all New Yorkers after everything Nightmare put them through. It was a huge feat but she made it seem so easy.

I saw some discussions about Bendis’s Jean when I speed read my way through this thread. I think I have read almost every story with Jean, and Bendis’s Jean is one of my favorites. She had that edge to her that I love. I have re-read Bendis’s run several times. True, his run ended with a whimper, but up until The trial of Jean Grey it was epic. And the trial has some of my all time favorite moments with Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Which costume is this? (Not that red/blue one right?)
    This:

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

There are a lot of Brazilian readers that hate that costume because it resembles their flag.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

No, the first image was a phoenix line art image I found. I don’t know the artist. I just changed the Phoenix to “X”’s and colored it. The 2nd one was done using the now obsolete game X-Girl. It’s basically the Marvelgirl dress but in bodysuit form with golden opera gloves and golden boots.

I believe that the “phoenix” look is Jean’s most iconic imagery so everything else pales in comparison. So whether Jean possesses the Phoenix force or not, she just happens to look her best when her long legs sport thigh high golden boots with matching long gloves. The only head dress I have ever truly appreciated on Jean is her hellfire gala tiara, though I would have gone with a golden pentagon over the green tiara. It’s very Wonder Woman and highlights her mental powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    This:

Oh no no no no no, please no, lol!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    There are a lot of Brazilian readers that hate that costume because it resembles their flag.
    Actually it resembles the jamaican flag 42B6D6BF-11BC-4EF5-8E0D-95CB1FB3DDA5.jpeg
    Last edited by Daedra; 12-03-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

We hate it because this is not a custome but an outfit. A teenage girl's dress on a woman over 30 years old.
    With a carnival MASK.

We can't see the expressions on her face. Looks like Emma's outfits wearing panties
    Last edited by andreikes; 12-03-2021 at 03:57 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Actually it resembles the jamaican flag 42B6D6BF-11BC-4EF5-8E0D-95CB1FB3DDA5.jpeg
    Oh, yes it does, and significantly more! I haven't seen many Jamaican people comment on it, but I'm in a Discord server with a few Brazilian fans that have talked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    We hate it because this is not a custom but an outfit. A teenage girl's dress on a woman over 30 years old.
    With a carnival MASK.

We can see the expressions on her face. Looks like Emma's outfits wearing panties
    We're talking about the X-Men Blue McKelvie design.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Took a break from comics from June. Caught up with the X-books last weekend when I binge read them all. Back in June the Jean Grey appreciation thread was around 250 pages. When I got back it was around 650. Wow. Jean Grey fans rule.

I am a bit worried that the only X-Men story that seems important is the one in Inferno. I love that Jean is in the flagship title, I just wish it felt more essential.

When I first started reading X-Men #4 I groaned. ”Not another story where the heroes are trapped in some sort of illusion.” But then Jean took charge, and I loved everything she did. She was so amazing, and I have been let down so often in the Hickman era that I was sure that Nightmare would go: ”Haha. Did you honestly think it would be that easy.” I am so happy that didn’t happen.

My favorite moment was when Jean calmed down all New Yorkers after everything Nightmare put them through. It was a huge feat but she made it seem so easy.

It's wonderful to read such an enthusiastic response to one of her recent appearances in the new series. X-Men #4 was a wonderful showcase for her, and I think Duggan handled both her deep empathy and fiery fierceness beautifully. I've loved every bit of her in the new series.

I saw some discussions about Bendis’s Jean when I speed read my way through this thread. I think I have read almost every story with Jean, and Bendis’s Jean is one of my favorites. She had that edge to her that I love. I have re-read Bendis’s run several times. True, his run ended with a whimper, but up until The trial of Jean Grey it was epic. And the trial has some of my all time favorite moments with Jean.
    Aside from Claremont's and Morrison's iterations of Jean, Bendis' is probably my favorite. In fact, I think the three are tied for me. I'd throw in Percy's brief work with her on that list, too. Also, I love Bunn's, Hopeless', and Taylor's iterations (her entire 2012-2019 arc, really), which all use Bendis' iteration as a jumping-off point, taking much inspiration from his brilliant work with her. Duggan has yet to disappoint me with Jean. My favorite thing about how he writes her is that he makes it clear that she is both powerful and a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    No, the first image was a phoenix line art image I found. I don’t know the artist. I just changed the Phoenix to “X”’s and colored it. The 2nd one was done using the now obsolete game X-Girl. It’s basically the Marvelgirl dress but in bodysuit form with golden opera gloves and golden boots.
    Well, you did a brilliant job nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I believe that the “phoenix” look is Jean’s most iconic imagery so everything else pales in comparison. So whether Jean possesses the Phoenix force or not, she just happens to look her best when her long legs sport thigh high golden boots with matching long gloves. The only head dress I have ever truly appreciated on Jean is her hellfire gala tiara, though I would have gone with a golden pentagon over the green tiara. It’s very Wonder Woman and highlights her mental powers.
    The Phoenix look is definitely her most iconic look. In fact, it's one of the most iconic looks in comics period. However, if I were an editor or writer in charge of handling her development, I would want to establish a new direction for her that would encompass ditching the codename and going back to her birth name; a costume change that leans more towards the subtle and understated; an exploration of her powers, picking back up from what Bendis established (e.g., psionic siphoning, etc.); and more of a focus on her interior life as it pertains to all of the trials and changes she has endured and the loss of her family.

As a character, Jean is rip for the picking.

Oh, yes it does, and significantly more! I haven't seen many Jamaican people comment on it, but I'm in a Discord server with a few Brazilian fans that have talked about it.

We're talking about the X-Men Blue McKelvie design.
    Oh my bad. I thought it was MG. I like the x-men bue costume.

Hi Johnnysv75! Welcome back!

There are 8million plus people in NYC alone, so that is a truly powerful Telepathic feat!

Random Musings...

I just received my hardcover copy of The Trial of Jean Grey. I've also preordered the Phoenix Omnibus Vol. 1 and have the Jean Grey and X-Men: Red TPBs and Generations: Jean Grey & Phoenix comic on the way. So it seems I'm amassing quite the "Jean Grey collection." I certainly didn't foresee this happening.

Up until earlier this year, I hadn't collected comics in years. I'd become one of those casual readers who occasionally picks up a graphic novel or issue of interest. However, after finding out Jean would be headlining a new series and co-leading a new team, I jumped back into the fray, so to speak. On a whim, I purchased the TPB of House of X/Powers of X and was hooked again. (I suppose Hickman's intriguing work deserves partial credit for pulling me back into the fold.) The race was on.

I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and caught up on Jean's adventures of the last decade, give or take a year. That led me to start reviewing her story from the very beginning - much of which I had already read - which, in turn, prompted me to create a Twitter account dedicated to covering her history and development. Considering the fact that I only tweet about her, I'm surprised the account is more than halfway to a thousand followers in less than six months. I've even managed to attract a few well-known creators, who have been gracious enough to both follow and communicate with me publicly and privately. You gotta love Jean fans.

Anyway, I've recently been asking myself, What is it about this character that I love so much? My thoughts swirl when I try to pinpoint an answer to that question. As I wrote for a Twitter thread I'm working on:

Since her debut, Jean has often been an outlier in an assembly of outsiders. Whether as the first and only female member of the X-Men, a cosmic-powered being, or resurrected from the dead multiple times, isolation has been an underlying theme in her story from the beginning.
    Jean has always been an outsider but also an underdog and scrapper with the biggest of hearts. She is simultaneously tragic and underestimated and, ultimately, triumphant and inimitable. However, throughout her nearly 60-year history in comics, she has rarely been given the time or treated with the care and respect she deserves as a character, especially considering the fact that she's the only female founding member of the X-Men and central to one of the most iconic storylines in comic book history. Still, despite the lack of care and being occasionally killed and shoved into obscurity, there's something about her that has always shone through and popped off the page.

As Brian Michael Bendis noted:

"There are some people who are just this burst of energy in your life, and you deal with them. Whether that's your girlfriend or your boyfriend or your kids, there's someone in your life who demands a certain amount of attention...Jean demands attention. There's so much going on with her that you can't not deal with her immediately..."
    Some of Bendis' other comments on Jean stood out to me like beacons:

"I think she’s the quintessential X-Man. I think that’s why everyone gravitates to her so much. Her powers are unique; her powers are something she has to work on, something she has to control. Every time her powers build, it sets a new set of problems for her, and at the same time, a new set of goals and challenges that make her a better hero, And we know, as fans, that she has met with tragedy a couple of times..."
    "We know that Jean is a sweetheart, and we also know that Jean has an incredible edge to her."
    "[She] alone inspires so many story ideas and so many emotions and means so much to so many people."
    "It’s a very interesting challenge as a writer. I literally cannot stop writing her. It is absolutely fascinating."
    And I can't stop reading about her.

I don't know why I felt like posting this at nearly 4 a.m., but I did.

Thanks for sharing Mercury. It was interesting and it is always good to have another Jean fan who really knows her story, history and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hi Johnnysv75! Welcome back!

There are 8million plus people in NYC alone, so that is a truly powerful Telepathic feat!
    Thanks! And yes, I loved seeing her doing a powerful feat without breaking a sweat. Reminds me of how Seagle and Bachalo portrayed her on her and Scott’s trip to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Jean has always been an outsider but also an underdog and scrapper with the biggest of hearts. She is simultaneously tragic and underestimated and, ultimately, triumphant and inimitable. However, throughout her nearly 60-year history in comics, she has rarely been given the time or treated with the care and respect she deserves as a character, especially considering the fact that she's the only female founding member of the X-Men and central to one of the most iconic storylines in comic book history. Still, despite the lack of care and being occasionally killed and shoved into obscurity, there's something about her that has always shone through and popped off the page.
    Uncanny X-Men #137 was my first X-book. Read it maaany years ago. Fell in love with Jean at once. She was kind, empathetic, funny, charismatic, intelligent, mischievous. She was such a complex and interesting character, and so powerful. To me, Ororo is one of a few X-Men to even come close.

Jean can sometimes (too often?) be portrayed as the denmother, and I get why some fans think she is boring. But the writers who focus on her caring qualities miss out on what truly makes Jean a fun character to read - she is multifaceted.
    At the same time as she is loving and caring, she has an edge. She is kindhearted at the same time as she has a temper. She can sometimes be hesitant to cut loose with her incredible powers, but there is also nothing she loves better than to truly cut loose with her powers.

Jean is incredibly complex, and that is why I love her.
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 12-04-2021 at 08:41 AM.