Page 710 of 719 FirstFirst ... 210610660700706707708709710711712713714 ... LastLast
Results 10,636 to 10,650 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Ironically enough, the writer of The Refrigerator Monologues, Catherynne Valente, recently indicated she wouldn't be against writing a Jean solo series or book.

https://twitter.com/catvalente/statu...12119425421318
    That would be fantastic. I recently purchased the book (thanks for the recommendation Merc) and I'm loving it. The Gwen chapter was a bit difficult for my poor spanish speaking brain with all the metaphores in english and references that I couldn't catch since I'm not really a Spiderman reader, but it was still great. The Jean one was fantastic (and not difficult at all to catch the references, since I'm very much a Jean reader lol) and I cried a lot, really this writer catched her character so well, it's inherently a commentary on Jean but like, I agreed with her so much. I loved the construction of the villain and the way its called "Retcon", lol. The part of "Julia" having only 15 minutes a day to remember her story in Retcon's prison was painful but damn its true. Currently I'm in the Harley chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    ok, I get that. I just remember so many moments in Storm's history where Storm explicitly has refused to transcend into godhood. I think this is very similar to Jean, who also refused many times to become a god-like being. I personally just prefer Storm being a mutant...But I'm reading X-Men comics mainly because of the minority mutant subtext and less about the too otherworldly fantasy components. So, I couldn't care less about the rest of the Marvel Universe...I stay on Krakoa.
    Lmao perfectly understandable!

But yeah you bring up an excellent point, in fact I would say Jean is the direct reason why Storm doesn't want to ascend.

It seems like I'm going to have to start buckling down up in this bitch like you all, lol.
    You can usually tell when someone is a fan of the character but has a different view of the direction that character should go or when they're just there to stir the pot or just be negative in general. Plus don't be light on using the ignore list. I know I've used it on several people including some people in the Storm forum who insist on being nothing but a negative nacy at every post. If I need a Prozac every time I read your post are you really worth reading? Ya'know?
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    While some runs (and writers) are better than others, it happens, this is comics. Characterization complaints? Hmmm, Jean' story is still unravelling. So characterization is still in progress, no? Her characterization is not over till it's over. So I just play spectator and see her progression. Like everyone else on here, we all crave for more. I've waited 13 years for the "real jean" to come back so I am being patient and appreciate what comes my way. I see good and bad writing, but it is what it is. So complaining about characterization NOW is dumb and counter-intuitive.
    This is a very good point. These characters are constantly shifting and evolving, and their stories, as you noted, are "still unraveling." So, it is sort of nonsensical to make absolute statements about a character when we have no idea what changes and developments are coming their way.

I come here to this board to get some info and maybe some scoop and probably do some exchanges about our girl, but I see kids complaining left and right. And it takes up pages. About the character, about the dress. OMG the whining about the dress. I do not care if she wears a tiara and a banana leaf, if she's our Jean, i still look forward to reading about her.

This is Jean Grey appreciation thread, if I want to read about characters, other than Jean, being put in a pedestal and glorified, I'll go to that character's thread.

I am just glad threads are reset every year!
    Thank you for speaking up, Mike. It's important for detractors to know how other fans think and feel. Frankly, if they stripped Jean of all of her powers tomorrow, I would still be her fan and follow her every step and development. Jean has pathos in spades--more than enough to fill a book with moving and compelling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    That would be fantastic. I recently purchased the book (thanks for the recommendation Merc) and I'm loving it. The Gwen chapter was a bit difficult for my poor spanish speaking brain with all the metaphores in english and references that I couldn't catch since I'm not really a Spiderman reader, but it was still great. The Jean one was fantastic (and not difficult at all to catch the references, since I'm very much a Jean reader lol) and I cried a lot, really this writer catched her character so well, it's inherently a commentary on Jean but like, I agreed with her so much. I loved the construction of the villain and the way its called "Retcon", lol. The part of "Julia" having only 15 minutes a day to remember her story in Retcon's prison was painful but damn its true. Currently I'm in the Harley chapter.
    Oh, you're welcome! I'm happy I helped you discover a new writer and that you are enjoying her book, which is fantastic! Valente has a way with words that I find utterly thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    You can usually tell when someone is a fan of the character but has a different view of the direction that character should go or when they're just there to stir the pot or just be negative in general.
    Exactly.

Plus don't be light on using the ignore list. I know I've used it on several people including some people in the Storm forum who insist on being nothing but a negative nacy at every post. If I need a Prozac every time I read your post are you really worth reading? Ya'know?
    You know, I've tried figuring out how to ignore certain members but still haven't been able to do so. Also, more than anything, what pisses me off about these posters is that they drive away other fans who are less assertive and confrontational. No matter, they can keep doing what they do and I will certainly keep doing what I do.

Extraordinary Member

I come here to this board to get some info and maybe some scoop and probably do some exchanges about our girl, but I see kids complaining left and right. And it takes up pages. About the character, about the dress. OMG the whining about the dress. I do not care if she wears a tiara and a banana leaf, if she's our Jean, i still look forward to reading about her.
    So tired about most of this thread being about that dress.At this point make another thread for it and leave all that out of here, same thing again and again

You know, I've tried figuring out how to ignore certain members but still haven't been able to do so. Also, more than anything, what pisses me off about these posters is that they drive away other fans who are less assertive and confrontational. No matter, they can keep doing what they do and I will certainly keep doing what I do.
    I use the ignore feature CBR has. If you're so inclined you can still view their messages if you think they have something worth reading. For example purposes:

Life is too short and mental energy is too precious to be dealing with dumb sh!t you don't need to be dealing with. Ignore and move right on along!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    So tired about most of this thread being about that dress.At this point make another thread for it and leave all that out of here, same thing again and again
    The dress is the most prominent thing happening with the character. That's the green, masked elephant in the room. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    That would be fantastic...
    Boo, Valente just RTed me!

In The Refrigerator Monologues, @catvalente uses a thinly veiled analog of Jean Grey—Julia Ash—to sculpt & spit out an irreverent, incendiary, heartbreaking, and ultimately sublime soliloquy that is equal parts commentary, confession, and tribute to our favorite redhead. Wow. 1/4 https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...51017295654916
    😭🙏🏼❤️ I swear, I'm going to will a Jean solo series or book by her into existence!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I get the criticisms of and unhappiness with it, but, like you said, it's the constant repetition that's tiresome.

I use the ignore feature CBR has. If you're so inclined you can still view their messages if you think they have something worth reading. For example purposes:

Life is too short and mental energy is too precious to be dealing with dumb sh!t you don't need to be dealing with. Ignore and move right on along!
    Ooo, Subliminally, look at you shading me to prove a point. lol. j/k! Thank you for the help! I'm really considering doing this with a couple of posters here...

Boo, Valente just RTed me!

������❤️ I swear, I'm going to will a Jean solo series or book by her into existence!

I get the criticisms of and unhappiness with it, but, like you said, it's the constant repetition that's tiresome.

Ooo, Subliminally, look at you shading me to prove a point. lol. j/k! Thank you for the help! I'm really considering doing this with a couple of posters here...
    Lol! Hey that's why I made sure and put a disclaimer on the screen shot!

You gotta do what you gotta do. Some people's happy place is being miserable and negative. That's not the energy I'm trying to be exposed to.

Some people's happy place is being miserable and negative. That's not the energy I'm trying to be exposed to.
    This is so true and exactly how I feel.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Damn Skippy!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I’m a very visual person. Art is just as important to me as the character when it comes to comics. Enough Jean fans (myself included) complain about the dress for various reasons, so it will continue to be a problem until it gets changed. Im sorry it is annoying but it is an injustice to see other characters get new looks while Jean stays stagnant. There isn’t enough story to justify her relegated to Marvel “girl” status. I’ll shut up when Jean gets the recognition and respect she deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I’m a very visual person. Art is just as important to me as the character when it comes to comics. Enough Jean fans (myself included) complain about the dress for various reasons, so it will continue to be a problem until it gets changed. Im sorry it is annoying but it is an injustice to see other characters get new looks while Jean stays stagnant. There isn’t enough story to justify her relegated to Marvel “girl” status. I’ll shut up when Jean gets the recognition and respect she deserves.
    same! I hate this outfit with a passion...and still Jean in this ugly ass costume is the only comic toy figure allowed my apartment. lol ;-) She is smiling back to me from my window still (the Marvel Legends House of X version). Campy joy!

Lmao perfectly understandable!

But yeah you bring up an excellent point, in fact I would say Jean is the direct reason why Storm doesn't want to ascend.

Exactly! this was the scene I had in mind. I think there is a certain beauty to it to stay human in order to continue to connected to humanity. Godhood is something so abstract and unfathomable that it has no relationship to the everyday struggle of humanity anymore. Jean and Storm are both highly empathetic beings who want to fight for humanity. I don't think they can achieve this in a godlike state.

In Morrison's run we actually see what happens when Jean follows the apotheosis. People say she was dead for 10 years, but she actually transcended into godhood in this storyline, leaving her humanity entirely behind. This is why she gave Scott to Emma. Because she couldn't give him the love he needed. There was nothing worldy or profane like love left in her in the end of Morrison's run.

In the end, that was the main giveaway from the Dark Phoenix Saga written by Claremont. Wasn't it? "Jean Grey could have lived to become a god. But it was more important to her that she die...a human."
    Last edited by Exodus; 12-29-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Thankfully, it looks like it's going to be changed pretty soon. Also, it's okay to criticize in this thread if you're also contributing positive feedback, too. I don't think I've ever seen you deride Jean here.

same! I hate this outfit with a passion...and still Jean in this ugly ass costume is the only comic toy figure allowed my apartment. lol ;-) She is smiling back to me from my window still (the Marvel Legends House of X version). Campy joy!
    Hahaha! You are too cute! (I own that figure, too, and it, along with Age of Apocalypse Jean and the gorgeous Legends "Love Triangle" Jean, are my only figures, lol).

In Morrison's run we actually see what happens when Jean follows the apotheosis. People say she was dead for 10 years, but she actually transcended into godhood in this storyline, leaving her humanity entirely behind. This is why she gave Scott to Emma. Because she couldn't give him the love he needed. There was nothing worldy or profane like love left in her in the end of Morrison's run.
    Actually, there was love in her, granted, of a higher order--transcendent love--which is why she coupled Scott and Emma, as tears streaked her face. I get the point you're trying to make, though.

Thanks. I’ve never been a great debater anyway and I try to be respectful of others opinions or not say much if I don’t agree. I just love Jean so much and want the best for her.