Page 13 of 719 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Just did a re-read of Phoenix Resurrection and...yeah it's still a meh for me it's clear Rosenberg knows his Jean history but the story is just horribly decompressed which is amazing considering its only 5 issues long. The span between issue#2, 3 and most of 4 could be cut out entirely.

And the overall end point (Jean rejecting the Phoenix and choosing humanity over godhood) is a interesting take for the character but it also completely flies in the face of Morrisions ending which is odd because Rosenberg actually references New Xmen Jean in the final issue.

Overall I really enjoy Issue 1 for setting the eerie tone of the mini and issue 5 for sticking the landing but it was pretty sub par way to reintroduce Jean back into MC imo especially when you consider Messiah Complex, Messiah War, and Second Coming could have been our Jean resurrection story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Morrison's New X-Men Jean >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    In character design, personality, and superheroics.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    In character design, personality, and superheroics.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Just did a re-read of Phoenix Resurrection and...yeah it's still a meh for me it's clear Rosenberg knows his Jean history but the story is just horribly decompressed which is amazing considering its only 5 issues long. The span between issue#2, 3 and most of 4 could be cut out entirely.

And the overall end point (Jean rejecting the Phoenix and choosing humanity over godhood) is a interesting take for the character but it also completely flies in the face of Morrisions ending which is odd because Rosenberg actually references New Xmen Jean in the final issue.

Overall I really enjoy Issue 1 for setting the eerie tone of the mini and issue 5 for sticking the landing but it was pretty sub par way to reintroduce Jean back into MC imo especially when you consider Messiah Complex, Messiah War, and Second Coming could have been our Jean resurrection story.

I didn't hate Phoenix Resurrection but I hated the ending. Rather than having Jean rebuke the Phoenix it would've been better for her to acknowledge that while her destiny is inextricably linked to it, she wanted time to live her life on her own terms for a while. The PF would respect that, leaving Jean Phoenixless for now but leaving the door open for her to return to it in the future.

And yes, Morrison's Jean >

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Rather than having Jean rebuke the Phoenix it would've been better for her to acknowledge that while her destiny is inextricably linked to it, she wanted time to live her life on her own terms for a while. The PF would respect that, leaving Jean Phoenixless for now but leaving the door open for her to return to it in the future.

This. Well said!
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-18-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I didn't hate Phoenix Resurrection but I hated the ending. Rather than having Jean rebuke the Phoenix it would've been better for her to acknowledge that while her destiny is inextricably linked to it, she wanted time to live her life on her own terms for a while. The PF would respect that, leaving Jean Phoenixless for now but leaving the door open for her to return to it in the future.

I actually think Morrison made Jean a bit too bland and too perfect. I prefer the combo Claremont+Weezy. sprinkle some Morrison/Taylor idealism on it and is ready.

Jean is still mostly underwritten on modern times
    Last edited by Rang10; 01-18-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I actually think Morrison made Jean a bit too bland and too perfect. I prefer the combo Claremont+Weezy

Jean is perfect!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Jean is perfect!
    Exactly. All hail Queen Jean!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I actually think Morrison made Jean a bit too bland and too perfect. I prefer the combo Claremont+Weezy. sprinkle some Morrison/Taylor idealism on it and is ready.

I think Taylor went a little overboard with the idealism personally. I also wouldn't classify Morrison's Jean as perfect far from it actually. She was still prone to emotional outbursts like her attack on Emma and of course kissing Logan for purely selfish reasons. I do actually think that Morrison wrote probably one of the best Jean characterization out there she was mature, self confident, authoritative it's just a shame he had to build up Jean while simultaneously tearing down cyclops.

I think Taylor went a little overboard with the idealism personally. I also wouldn't classify Morrison's Jean as perfect far from it actually. She was still prone to emotional outbursts like her attack on Emma and of course kissing Logan for purely selfish reasons. I do actually think that Morrison wrote probably one of the best Jean characterization out there she was mature, self confident, authoritative it's just a shame he had to build up Jean while simultaneously tearing down cyclops.
    Jean on Taylor writing almost threw a hot dog in anger on a bigot, then she saw that violent actions end on a endless circle of violence. She step up as adult, that was a great moment for the characters. Real life leders have to seat their feelings to make things work, if they don't do it the consequences can be dire.
    I felt like Morrison Jean was mature and all. but Morrison never really let me to know how she works besides some idealism ticks

Agree with all of this. I wish Taylor would have dug deeper with Jean.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

Yep.

any great issue worth reading?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    Honestly? The entire Morrison run Tbh

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    I'd recommend the whole thing personally. I struggle to suggest single issues because I'm lazy but:

New X-Men 118-126

New X-Men 139-145

Are arcs that have strong Jean moments. Maybe others could be more specific.

Morrison's New X-Men Jean >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    the blueprint .

Honestly? The entire Morrison run Tbh
    this lol . I know its not the answer u were looking for but its a truly stellar arc that won't hit the same out of sequence