Page 127 of 719 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227627 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    She always gave me Jean Grey/ Invisible woman vibes (because of the shields and walking on air with it)

She even has her anodite "pink form" and all (even thought Gwen is Alien/Magical)

I get a strong Jean vibe (not IW) from Eve.

Maybe someday (soon) we will see Jean again in a powerful role like this!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    First issue of Uncanny X-Men I read. Fell in love with Jean at once. Have loved her ever since. Powerful, beautiful, kind, scary, caring, mischievous. Such a complex, amazing character.
    It was my firsy introduction to the “new” xmen too as i already knew Jean from O5 British reprints, and i fell for Jean big time. The raptor pic is my wall paper on my phone!

BANNED

I loved the Phoenix effect on the cover, but also thought Colossus and Storm looked cool, and I loved the line ”The mystery of Muir Isle”. And then I read the first few pages in the store and Jean looked so damn amazing and seemed so powerful. (This was in 1985 in Sweden.)
    Byrne and Austen’s art was beautiful and Claremont had such an amazing grasp of his characters. It was an amazing world to be introduced to, with people who seemed like real humans. I was hooked immediately. And Jean was the true star of X-Men to me.

The retcon that removed the Phoenix from Jean also removed so much of the powerful storytelling here, so much of Jean’s journey. Yes, the retcon gave us back Jean Grey, but they could have done it in so many different ways. A male character would never have so much stripped away from the character as Jean did when she returned. And it is still going on. I hate what is happening in Avengers.

I loved Bendis’s pink power effect, since it seemed like a nice nod to Jean as Phoenix without going into the silliness that is the Phoenix force. I dislike the way some writer/editor said that she won’t use it again, since it was something she did once but sort of has grown out of (I can’t remember the exact wording).
    Why would a woman like Jean choose not to use a part of her power that makes her unique and extremely powerful (we all know that Jean loves being powerful, cutting loose with her powers is a feeling she loves), and instead start to call herself Girl, start wearing a dress, hardly use her TK and almost only use her telepathy as an advanced phone? The answer is male writers and editors. Jean scares the heck out of them.
    Poor quality, dumb male writers and editors who are not aware it’s the 21st century or modern business trends and are stuck in the 1980s comic bookshops.

People like Claremont were better writers and more progressive in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    People like Claremont were better writers and more progressive in the late 1970s and 1980s.
    Quoted for truth. *Sigh*
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes, it is so damn sad. I realize that maaaaybe they have regressed Jean just to make it shocking when she is all-powerful and confident again, but it is all so damn annoying. They shouldn’t have to re-tread that old story. ”Oh, we though she was weak but she is actually the strongest.” EVERYONE KNOWS that when Jean is written right she is incredibly powerful. We all know that what we get now is shitty writing. ”Jean was all right in this issue, she didn’t trip over her own feet or yell ’Scott!’.” We shouldn’t be happy when the writing isn’t too bad, we should be enraged all the time until Jean gets proper characterization again.
    Demanding that a powerful, passionate, fiery woman gets proper characterization is not being an annoying fan, it’s calling out chauvinistic writers for pulling chauvinistic crap. It’s about damn time they realize that it is 2021.
    Jean should be allowed to be powerful and passionate and complex. Seagle and Kelly tried to do it in the late 1990s, but the editors got cold feet. Is there a note somewhere in the X-office that Jean can’t get too powerful because she once destroyed a planet? Is Jim Shooter still calling the shots? Gah!!!

It was nice to have Jean front and center once upon a time

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post

Yes indeed, Rang10.

I do not understand how Marvel forgets about one of their Flagship Female characters.

It is fitting my 7500 post is coincidentally on Jean's Thread! Maybe that is a good sign.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

BANNED

If you have to change Jean's hairstyle? What hairstyle would you choose? I was inspired by Amelia's hairstyle on SWORD therefore this though came to my mind. She had bangs.

I wouldnt. Jean looks best with long flowing hair

BANNED

I am well aware of the fact that she usually has long flowing hair. Artists tend to draw it short a couple of times. But that doesn't mean her hair will cut short in volume.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yes, it is so damn sad. I realize that maaaaybe they have regressed Jean just to make it shocking when she is all-powerful and confident again, but it is all so damn annoying. They shouldn’t have to re-tread that old story. ”Oh, we though she was weak but she is actually the strongest.” EVERYONE KNOWS that when Jean is written right she is incredibly powerful. We all know that what we get now is shitty writing. ”Jean was all right in this issue, she didn’t trip over her own feet or yell ’Scott!’.” We shouldn’t be happy when the writing isn’t too bad, we should be enraged all the time until Jean gets proper characterization again.
    Demanding that a powerful, passionate, fiery woman gets proper characterization is not being an annoying fan, it’s calling out chauvinistic writers for pulling chauvinistic crap. It’s about damn time they realize that it is 2021.
    Jean should be allowed to be powerful and passionate and complex. Seagle and Kelly tried to do it in the late 1990s, but the editors got cold feet. Is there a note somewhere in the X-office that Jean can’t get too powerful because she once destroyed a planet? Is Jim Shooter still calling the shots? Gah!!!

God I hate this trope as it concerns Jean so much.

And with no Logan and Scott at her side, we will probably never see something like this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    God I hate this trope as it concerns Jean so much.

And with no Logan and Scott at her side, we will probably never see something like this again.
    Sadly yes, I dont think we will see Jean alone commanding the X-men again. I don't even think she will do her own thing without any of these two by her side. It's a shame

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Sadly yes, I dont think we will see Jean alone commanding the X-men again. I don't even think she will do her own thing without any of these two by her side. It's a shame
    I'm going to be honest, when I first started reading comics in the early 00's I was a huge Morrison fan and honestly I couldn't understand why Claremont was so revered of course I understood his tenure and his contributions but I didn't really understand how historic his run was for women. Having them consistently as the focus of the X-men narrative, with new and innovative stories and arc which highlighted their leadership qualities, their sense of identity, or even how the related to one another. But then I read 90's comics after he left and almost immediately the narrative's main focus shifted to a predominantly male perspective, sure the ladies still got stories but the consistency and depth was gone. The X-men became like any other franchise with a mostly white, mostly straight POV.

In the last 20 years the X-women haven't receive a strap of the development or attention that the guys get, and it's so disappointing because the women have always been more interesting to me. But when I look back on this period Jean was never given the reignss of the narrative, that belonged to Kitty which would have been great if she wasn't handled by Guggs.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-29-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Let us all try to be positive that Jean will see the type of growth and showings that she deserves in 2021 and going forward.