Page 257 of 719 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 10783
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I share the feeling, guys. About Jean's powers and her portrayal.

But I'm going to give the Gala and the new book a honest try. Who knows? Maybe we'll finally see some of the things we've been waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post

But I'm going to give the Gala and the new book a honest try. Who knows? Maybe we'll finally see some of the things we've been waiting for.
    Of course, the future is not written in stone, things can and could get better, Jean is an awesome character……..so much potential ……all she needs is care and space to grow from a writer and editor willing to allow her that much.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    This era hasn't done squat for Jean and I didn't pit one against the other. I said it is a crime that Emma gets to grow while Jean has to be hogtied to the past. It's just a comparison.
    To be fair, thats the exact complaint that Emma fans had in the era that preceeded this one

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    They don't have a relationship. They only show up to help with things that Jean can do alone.

On Hellfire gala I owuld like to see Jean interating with Avengers.. Really lame that only Scott and emma can talk to Captain America
    At the very least its a working relationship and one that one cant reasonably deny

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes we want Jean (and Storm, Lorna, Scott, all our personal faves) to have growth and development but Jean is not the only character Duggan (or Percy) has to write in their books. Other characters also need care and attention and the story needs to progress and develop. It's a balance. Which, sad to say, many current writers even the acclaimed ones, find very very difficult to achieve. Case in point...I LOVE Marauders but I agree, for ALL of the run it's been the Kate and Emma book, thankfully I LOVE both characters immensely so that's not a problem for me at all. But I could understand how fans of Storm and Bishop and Iceman would feel disappointed.
    That said, even Claremont didn't fully achieve that balance 80% of the time...the only difference is...he had decades to build on each character. Writers today have two to three years, if so much)
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-03-2021 at 07:33 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Of course, the future is not written in stone, things can and could get better, Jean is an awesome character……..so much potential ……all she needs is care and space to grow from a writer and editor willing to allow her that much.
    I know, right?

The thing is that Jean shines on stories that are character-driven. And she hasn't been in many yet.

But if you think about it, for this whole Krakoan era, there haven't been many of those stories for any character, actually. :(

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    I've always enjoyed Jean's interactions with the wider Marvel Universe. Especially Steve Rogers.

He never once doubted her innocence during X-Men Red and even said he was sorry the Avengers weren't there with her, from the beginning. He also didn't want Jean to have to face Cassandra Nova alone.

I've always wanted to see more interaction with Thor and Jean.

Sigh, fingers crossed.
    Rogers is basically a Jean's male version, they are on the same page.

Thor and Jean could be nice too. Captain Marvel could be interesteing too, they are 2 of the most powerful women on MU

I relaly hope we will get some interaction instead of just Jean as phone

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Rogers is basically a Jean's male version, they are on the same page.

Thor and Jean could be nice too. Captain Marvel could be interesteing too, they are 2 of the most powerful women on MU

I relaly hope we will get some interaction instead of just Jean as phone
    I was going to vociferously disagree with you. Then, I thought about it and I realized:

Jean did the D’Bari like European colonizers did Native Americans. So, yeah, maybe Captain America is a bit like Jean.

Yes. Steve has a sense she's one of the good ones.

I'd also love to see Jean interacting with other characters of the MU! My fingers are crossed too!
    I'm presuming that this quote is a bit tongue in cheek - the literal personification of the existing power structure thinking of a minority metaphor as "one of the good ones" doesn't come across as flattering.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm presuming that this quote is a bit tongue in cheek - the literal personification of the existing power structure thinking of a minority metaphor as "one of the good ones" doesn't come across as flattering.
    Wouldn't that be something Cap might say? Meaning he can see she's a genuinely good person?

That's what I meant...

EDIT: Oh... I see the problem now. I'm sorry. I'm not American. We don't say stuff like "one of the good ones" where I live or my native country. No, please. I was thinking of two people interacting with each other as human beings, regardless of their societal positions of being the privileged or minority.

I think Steve can recognise that she is a good person, someone who is willing to help others, protect the world, etc... That's all I meant. I'm very sorry it came across so wrong!
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-03-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

What some people want is Jean to take control of the X-Men and Avengers kick out Magneto and Xavier then telepathically crack Krakoa in half and send it hurling to the sun all while chanting "The Phoenix was holding me back!"

So in that sense they'll definitely be disappointed in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    What some people want is Jean to take control of the X-Men and Avengers kick out Magneto and Xavier then telepathically crack Krakoa in half and send it hurling to the sun all while chanting "The Phoenix was holding me back!"

I don't think anyone expect this. Of course Scott could kick Charles off the mansion and take over

I know, right?

The thing is that Jean shines on stories that are character-driven. And she hasn't been in many yet.

But if you think about it, for this whole Krakoan era, there haven't been many of those stories for any character, actually.
    Once again you are the voice of reason and I really appreciate your insight, your points are valid and sound, I ….on my part ….feel like there’s a lot of room for improvement in the way Jean is being written and characterized, even by the standards of Hickman’s story driven narrative. My impression is that the “love” from the one in charge is just not there….. some particular panels and decisions regarding Jean feel ……antagonistic and regressive….for lack of a better term.
    Not trying to convince others or convert them to my pov, I just wanna express it like everybody else.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

SO... Jean... gets to be on the new flagship book. And Lorna will be there. When was the last time they were on a team together? It will be monumental. Her bad hair day on that cover though... well I think this overtakes that. Jean needs a girl friend outside of Ro. and they used to talk to each other quite a bit. THOUGH why is that Gala costume not her team one??? Though, Polaris' dress costume makes Jeans seem less strange. Though it is a modern look. Jean needs a modern look I think. Maybe they can provide Jean with a Jacket and different boots.

EDITED: Correction. I meant to say a girl friend outside of Storm.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 06-03-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

Well... this is her appreciation thread, I think some level of passionate fandom is expected, right? :)

The thing is that there is a lot that Jean could be offering to the books/teams, but we haven't seen much in any of those areas. And then different fans are complaining about what they'd like to see, but those aren't necessarily the same things, so the clamor seems louder than it actually is.

Let me give you an example: I love when Jean is powerful, but I actually prefer when she's not hyper powerful. When you look at how she was in X-Factor, she was considered powerful, but no one talked about being an Omega or anything like that. She was awesome and she didn't even had her telepathy.

Don't get me wrong, please: I want her to have access to all her powers. I just don't really need her to steal the spotlight because of her powers all the time. I'd prefer to see her using her powers in a smart way, though. There are so many cool possibilities. :)

But other fans really love feats. Who am I to tell them that they are wrong?

So, you see, while they may be complaining they want more feats, I'll be complaining I want to see more of Jean's influence of the team's activities and the politics of Krakoa if they ever clash. I want her personality to shine.

And I guess that's why it might seem that everyone is demanding everything at the same time, when they're not.

Another example? I want to see more tk-flight kisses, but the fans who don't like her to be with Scott would not want that! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Once again you are the voice of reason and I really appreciate your insight, your points are valid and sound, I ….on my part ….feel like there’s a lot of room for improvement in the way Jean is being written and characterized, even by the standards of Hickman’s story driven narrative. My impression is that the “love” from the one in charge is just not there….. some particular panels and decisions regarding Jean feel ……antagonistic and regressive….for lack of a better term.
    Not trying to convince others or convert them to my pov, I just wanna express it like everybody else.
    Daedra, I have the same feeling, actually, but I don't think it's only about Jean either... The way Rachel is being written comes across like that sometimes too, in my opinion. It's like people around her have to remind her she has powers and she can use them, as if she cannot think of doing that herself. It's weird.

But, please, do express yourself too. If you can't say what you'd like to see for the character on her appreciation thread, where are you supposed to do that? The way I see it, we're fans of a character who was left dead for 15 years (more than 20 if you count her first death), who can say the same? We know of our pain and we should act a bit like a support group for each other. :D
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-03-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Well... this is her appreciation thread, I think some level of passionate fandom is expected, right?

Another example? I want to see more tk-flight kisses, but the fans who don't like her to be with Scott would not want that! :P

Daedra, I have the same feeling, actually,...

But, please, do express yourself too. If you can't say what you'd like to see for the character on her appreciation thread, where are you supposed to do that? The way I see it, we're fans of a character who was left dead for 15 years (more than 20 if you count her first death), who can say the same? We know of our pain and we should act a bit like a support group for each other.
    TK flight kisses are good, lol.

Yes, we are here to support each other! While we may not get to see "the Jean" we each would like (and this is different for each of us), we know what our gal can do (even if not shown currently in the books) and who she is inside. Jean was gone far too long. But she is back and I have faith that we will see some good things in the months to come (fingers crossed, lol).
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!