Page 353 of 719 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363403453 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 10783
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Jean is absolutely not the only character who has had poor to "bastardised" treatment over the many decades. Speak to the Scott fans, the Betsy fans, the Storm fans, the Lorna fans...Beast, Magneto, Emma...the list is endless.

By all means let's discuss and explore all the iterations of our favourite character(s) but I personally am always mindful of not playing the Comparison game which ultimately leads to the Blame game which then becomes mired in constant negativity to the point where we lose sight of why we ALL love Jean in the first place.

I may not agree with G-Soul on many things but I do appreciate their Appreciation Game.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Jean is absolutely not the only character who has had poor to "bastardised" treatment over the many decades. Speak to the Scott fans, the Betsy fans, the Storm fans, the Lorna fans...Beast, Magneto, Emma...the list is endless.

By all means let's discuss and explore all the iterations of our favourite character(s) but I personally am always mindful of not playing the Comparison game which ultimately leads to the Blame game which then becomes mired in constant negativity to the point where we lose sight of why we ALL love Jean in the first place.

I may not agree with G-Soul on many things but I do appreciate their Appreciation Game.
    Firstly, I never suggested, nor do I think anyone else has, that Jean is the "only" character that has been compromised by shoddy, inconsistent writing. Secondly, how does one go about discussing "all the iterations" of Jean without, to some degree, comparing those iterations? Thirdly, I don't believe I have "blame[d]" the writers, though I have pointed out some of the decisions made by a few of them, including those writers that I am very fond of (e.g., Claremont, Morrison). Finally, though disagreements are par for the course when discussing anything, I, personally, don't think one has to get "mired in constant negativity."

I also appreciate much of what Grinning Soul contributes to this thread and others, but they also seem reticent to discuss their thoughts and opinions so as not to cause "negativity." I apologize in advance for this, but that is not what I choose to do. I come here to discuss and, yes, at times debate certain topics. As long as those debates don't devolve into insults and accusations, I have no qualms reading the differing opinions of others and sharing my own.

First: I wasn't accusing you directly or specifically of anything. I was speaking in general terms based on what I see in the many appreciation threads here.

Second: You were probably absent when a certain poster quite recently derailed this very thread for pages on end with nothing but negativity.

Third: There's a vast difference between putting forth a differing opinion in a clear and thoughtful manner, as G-Soul does, and just being a disagreeable...well...just disagreeable and toxic. Even if I don't agree with some...I find this thread much more pleasant to travers in recent weeks.

With respect to Jean in XM 02...I LOVE that she's being a mentor to Ev...if that is what's happening in that first panel.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-10-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

First: I wasn't accusing you directly or specifically of anything. I was speaking in general terms based on what I see in the many appreciation threads here.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Second: You were probably absent when a certain poster quite recently derailed this very thread for pages on end with nothing but negativity.
    No, I was not a member during that period. Also, I am sorry to read that someone had such a predominating negative impact in and on this thread.

Third: There's a vast difference between putting forth a differing opinion in a clear and thoughtful manner, as G-Soul does, and just being a disagreeable...well...just disagreeable and toxic. Even if I don't agree with some...I find this thread much more pleasant to travers in recent weeks.
    I hope you don't find my posts in this thread "disagreeable and toxic"; that is certainly not my intent.

Not at all...those descriptors were for the past poster.
    Your posts, along with G-Soul's are quite interesting and enlightening to read. I appreciate the thoughtfulness and earnestness, even if it's from an entirely different perspective to mine.

Not at all...those descriptors were for the past poster.
    Your posts, along with G-Soul's are quite interesting and enlightening to read. I appreciate the thoughtfulness and earnestness, even if it's from an entirely different perspective to mine.
    That's a relief, and thank you for the positive feedback. By the way, what is your perspective? What are your thoughts on Jean, character, her history? I am interested in reading what you think.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Just to clarify, guys: I don't want to post my opinions about Jean in X-Force here because they're just that *my opinions*. And, yes, my opinions are never just "well, I just don't like it". I'm a very rational personal. There's always a rationale for my liking or disliking of something. And when there isn't, it drives me crazy and I keep thinking about it until I get to some form of conclusion.

So, yeah, if I'd write about it here, it'd be a long discourse about why I don't like it. And it would only bother people who do like it. And for what? I don't want to convince them not to like something they enjoy. Especially when it doesn't even matter anymore because the character is (mainly) being written by another writer.

I don't want to impose that discussion on the whole thread. But if anyone wants to know what I think, I'll gladly write to them in private. I'm not refusing to engage in this discussion. I just don't want to do it here, when people might get very upset and gank on me. It's not because I can't defend myself (I think I've proven several times that I can), I just find it exhausting and distasteful. And it's not what I want to do with my time in general, but currently there's been a health problem in my family and it makes me even less willing to spend energy on it.

So again: whoever is open-minded and respectful and curious, please, let me know and it will be my pleasure to share my thoughts. I just won't do it here, for this particular subject.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

If I may give my two cents here, I think it would be alright if you post a summary of it Grinning Soul, I would love to read your thoughts on Jean from X-force I don´t think it would be an impossition on the thread because it´s to appreciate Jean after all and it would be interesting to see a different and honest take on her.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Grinning Soul, I say this respectfully, but you just admitted to not wanting to you share your honest thoughts and opinions in this thread because "people might get very upset and gank on me." Although I understand you don't want to risk that happening because you see having to deal with that as a drain on and waste of your time and energy, it saddens me that how others might respond to your post(s) governs the extent to which you post your thoughts in here.

Nevertheless, I'm definitely interested in reading what you have to say, even if we may not agree.
    Last edited by Mercury; 07-10-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Fine. But I *am* going to ignore whatever is said about it. Seriously: I'm not engaging in a discussion here.

Things that I can think of the top of my head. Categorically stated because I do *not* want to get into a discussion here.

- Bad characterisation, for many different reasons, the worst being: she curses and acts tough, but she's actually a push-over.
    - Doesn't care about friends or team-mates and suggested a person she *knows* is deeply traumatised to take her place as the moral compass of a team that was too much for her to handle.
    - Tosses Hank around when she finds out what he did, but doesn't raise hell about it, doesn't confront Charles and tries to ensure this will never happen again (and because of that, Hank keeps on with his unenthical, abusive behaviour), doesn't refuse to continue to take part of a nation which acts like that
    - X-Force was the main book where she was a part of the permanent cast and yet Percy didn't bother to show her feelings about things that should concern the character (why did she even join Krakoa, how did she vote about Alex being in the Hellions team, about Madelyne, about the crucible, etc...). And that's because...
    - ... her role is of a girlfriend, a sexy one who straddles her guy, but comes running when he asks, even though she quit the team.
    - Mouth piece for the writer, at the cost of her characterization.

Thank you for obliging. You have actually given me some interesting points to ponder, and now I feel compelled to review her appearances in X-Force to reread them filtered through your thoughts and opinions. You see, I love discussions like these, particularly when my own views, thoughts, and opinions are challenged. As far as I am concerned, it makes for better reading, strengthens my critical thinking skills, and makes me appreciate characters, even Jean, more. It is also, *I think*, why we're all on this message board, to begin with.

I will take some time thinking about what you have shared and, as I stated, rereading these issues. Again, thanks for the food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Thank you for obliging. You have actually given me some interesting points to ponder, and now I feel compelled to review her appearances in X-Force to reread them filtered through your thoughts and opinions. You see, I love discussions like these, particularly when my own views, thoughts, and opinions are challenged. As far as I am concerned, it makes for better reading, strengthens my critical thinking skills, and makes me appreciate characters, even Jean, more. It is also, *I think*, why we're all on this message board, to begin with.

I will take some time thinking about what you have shared and, as I stated, rereading these issues. Again, thanks for the food for thought!
    No problem. I'll send you the long version in private, like you asked. I'm replying to Hizashi now and I'm not sure I'll have time to get to you today, but you should have have lots of messages in your inbox tomorrow.

Haha. No worries. Take your time. I look forward to reading ALL of the messages

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Thank you, I agree with all your points Grinning Soul, I had similar thoughts myself when I read Percy take on her, he´s a very skilled writer and it would be nice to see his take on Jean tackling all the points you raised
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-10-2021 at 11:43 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Fine. But I *am* going to ignore whatever is said about it. Seriously: I'm not engaging in a discussion here..
    Real discussions are rare, anyway: people express their opinion. Sincerity is appreciated, though…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe