Page 45 of 719 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145545 ... LastLast

It's not about hugging and calling mother or daughter, it's about having adventures together, conversations.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And if said adventures and conversations are not relevant to the story being told?

And what conversations exactly...tips on pulling off a retro minidress? What shampoo they use to keep their luscious red hair shiny and healthy?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Then work it into the plot. Rachel could have TP reached out to Jean in the first issue of XoS to update her on what she and Nate learned. Jean could have recruited Rachel to be on her team of TPs in the final issue to breach Otherworld. When X-Factor went up against the QC, that was opportunity to have Rachel and Jean address each other again within the context of the plot. Theres been a few missed opportunities this era

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And if said adventures and conversations are not relevant to the story being told?

And what conversations exactly...tips on pulling off a retro minidress? What shampoo they use to keep their luscious red hair shiny and healthy?
    Why wouldn't adventure of them not being relevant to the plot? they just need to write a adventure relevant to the plot

egg/chicken situation. There still chances for them interact in the future,but seems like there isn't plans

You really mean "force" it into the plot.
    Because the writers surely aren't thinking: "Let me show Jean and Rachel using their telepathy here so that it will reinforce their love for each other to their fans."

There are only "missed opportunities" because some only want to acknowledge what they think should be the narrative and not the actual story being told. To paraphrase a term..."backseat writers".

Sure, it would be cool to see Jean and Rachel do a telepathic one-two but...could've, would've, should've...It's not that big of a deal if they don't.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Why wouldn't adventure of them not being relevant to the plot? they just need to write a adventure relevant to the plot

egg/chicken situation. There still chances for them interact in the future,but seems like there isn't plans
    Because the writer has a particular story/adventure to tell that may not involve them both or...both using their powers in tandem?
    And that should be okies...considering they do belong to different books under different writers, writing different stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Because the writer has a particular story/adventure to tell that may not involve them both or...both using their powers in tandem?
    And that should be okies...considering they do belong to different books under different writers, writing different stories.
    You just said my argument, "writer didn't want". Not really a good reason since it comes back to the question asked

I'm assuming you have no real idea how stories and plots are pitched and developed and written so...all I can tell you, it's not as simple as "insert Jean and Rachel using their powers and having a mother/daughter conversation, here".

It's not always simple like that, but if no one pitched and if editorial is fine with not happening, it will never happen

...and the ONLY fallout from that is some Jean and Rachel fans who need absolute confirmation of their familial bond are mildly disappointed.

Because of our love for the characters , it seems like we are putting way more thought into them and their stories than the writers.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Because of our love for the characters , it seems like we are putting way more thought into them and their stories than the writers.
    As with any and every other fandom...since the first day comics were born.

apparently there is always time and space to show cyclops bonding with his kids but when it comes to Jean's relationships it all becomes harder than rocket science.......pleeeeease
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    apparently there is always time and space to show cyclops bonding with his kids but when it comes to Jean's relationships it all becomes harder than rocket science.......pleeeeease
    "Pleeeeeeeeease" is right cuz that's the reaction I have when the board complains about Jean's interactions.

Jean goes down on Logan. B*tch.
    Jean talks to Hope after Extermination. B*tch.
    Jean teams up with Emma. B*tch.
    Jean goes down on Bishop. B*tch.
    Jean tries to confront Nate. B*tch.
    Jean's nice to Cable even though he killed Cable. B*tch.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Did she not say she was disappointed when she was voted out of the Council? And she chose to leave X-Force, so I don't see why she would be distraught or disappointed over a decision she made. No one told her she had to let that go, Jean made the choice herself. That was a personal realization she had, and Jean expressed that to Logan. While I wish Percy would have done more with Jean, we did get to see her perception of death and how she views the resurrections, and she was an advocate to the Council about the formation of X-Force. Her relationship with Beast had a lot of complexity to it.

I get wanting to see more, but I don't agree with this idea that we don't know how Jean feels about things.
    I hope my reply didn't come off as an attack that was not my intent and I truly enjoy the dialogue.

For me personally I think I'm coming to a couple of realizations involving Jean, I've been on these boards for over a decade at this point. I've heard all there is to say concerning Jean good and bad but in the last 4 years since she's returned have to agree with one. Things that directly affect Jean not the X-men or Scott or Logan or the Phoenix, but Jean's own stories are almost never followed up on or used to craft more stories or engage with other characters. What are the in-story ramifications for two council members leaving their seats? What are the in-story consequences for Beast over in X-force, outside of Jean discovering what he was doing, then doing nothing to solve the root problem but excuse herself. It all reminds me of HCT and Morrison, using Jean to explain away why none of the things that should matter to her don't, and it is all a commentary on how little some writers think of her larger overall story.

Percy has been a saving grace but I have to disagree with others, if the only story he wanted to tell was how Jean was too morally "pure" to handle something like X-force, great I guess. But a better story in my opinion would be seeing exactly how Jean navigates within a set of perimeters she's not always comfortable with. Then seeing where that story takes her, I feel X-force started like that but then sort of lost it's way since the strong start. We've being told how Jean feels about Beast but rarely shown in any meaningful way, and I feel like Logan has done a much better job than Jean at holding Hank responsible. I eye-rolled in one of the most recent issues, where Jean clears Colossus of any wrongdoing then flies away so that she isn't witness to any more of Hank's corruption. I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much, but when I see your Magnetos, or Xaviers or Emmas or whoever constantly appear across title, while having their personalities intact I genuinely wonder why writers never are inspired to follow up on literally any of Jean's story beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    The very thing that worked during HoX/PoX is the journey leading up to that moment and everyone contributing towards it. Whereas XoS had "kid" Cable lol.
    Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    They aren't interesting together in that way, but then again even if they were, we probably wouldn't get that from Hix lol

Jean is just there to repeat whatever Scott's feelings are and make calls...so he can give his messages to even characters who aren't nearby lol
    I know a lot of people will disagree with these sentiments, but some of those same people said the same things about Emma for years. I don't care about panel time, or feats, I'm just over Jean being passive, witless, or bland.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 02-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.