Page 495 of 719 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498499505545595 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,425 of 10783

Someone tweeted this picture to me and my breath was taken away. She instantly felt like Jean to me. Rebecca Ferguson is her name. I haven't bothered looking her up because I don't want the illusion broken, but... wow.

This ending is everything. F*ck. "My emotions make me strong."

This sequence encompasses my favorite Jean moments in film:

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

I guess the actual comics treatment of the phoenix is preventing me from getting any enjoyment out of this special effects salad.
    How am I supposed to enjoy these portrayals of Jean as phoenix and at the same time be ok with the way marvel is passing it around?
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I guess the actual comics treatment of the phoenix is preventing me from getting any enjoyment out of this special effects salad.
    How am I supposed to enjoy these portrayals of Jean as phoenix and at the same time be ok with the way marvel is passing it around?
    Suspension of disbelief, dear. Still, I understand how you feel, though I don't think I feel as strongly as you do because I've distanced myself from the Phoenix Force. I feel satisfied with what Jean can do on her own, especially as established by Bendis and confirmed as canon by White. Essentially, Bendis went back to Claremont's original intention for the Phoenix. As he wrote 40+ years ago, Jean "achieved her full potential as a psi, becoming, briefly, an entity of pure thought before finally reforming as Phoenix." This is the new frontier to explore for Jean: How much can she really do and achieve without any outside influences...? What do her "infinite mental powers" really encompass?

Suspension of disbelief, dear. Still, I understand how you feel, though I don't think I feel as strongly as you do because I've distanced myself from the Phoenix Force. I feel satisfied with what Jean can do on her own, especially as established by Bendis and confirmed as canon by White. Essentially, Bendis went back to Claremont's original intention for the Phoenix. As he wrote 40+ years ago, Jean "achieved her full potential as a psi, becoming, briefly, an entity of pure thought before finally reforming as Phoenix." This is the new frontier to explore for Jean: How much can she really do and achieve without any outside influences...? What do her "infinite mental powers" really encompass?
    And that’s all very fine, I’m totally in favor of moving on, by all means it’s time for Jean to stand on her own once and for all…………………………this is why I’m over these movies were she goes crazy with power and becomes PHOENIX, In retrospect they just feel like a waste when it comes to her media representation, she will never get the proper focus to go beyond the tired old narrative of dark phoenix.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    And that’s all very fine, I’m totally in favor of moving on, by all means it’s time for Jean to stand on her own once and for all…………………………this is why I’m over these movies were she goes crazy with power and becomes PHOENIX, In retrospect they just feel like a waste when it comes to her media representation, she will never get the proper focus to go beyond the tired old narrative of dark phoenix.
    This is a valid point and observation. I only posted the end sequence of the Dark Phoenix film because I think it was beautifully done, aesthetically, thematically, and emotionally speaking. It's an underrated film, as far as I am concerned. In either case, I think Jean has grown and will continue to grow. She is the co-leader in a new book that began on the precipice of another paradigm shift. We have much to look forward to and be grateful for.

Extraordinary Member

Someone tweeted this picture to me and my breath was taken away. She instantly felt like Jean to me. Rebecca Ferguson is her name. I haven't bothered looking her up because I don't want the illusion broken, but... wow.

Jean's a redhead.Doesn't hollywood love messing them up?
    I mean either she gets the Batgirl treatment or Zendaya/Starfire treatment.My bets on the Starfire/Zendaya thing.

How do people feel about race swapped Jean, she would still be redhead because that's too iconic.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-04-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The dusting fight was cool but I'll be brutally honest, I cringed so hard watching that end part."My emotions" and the CGI I couldn't take this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Jean's a redhead.
    Doesn't hollywood love changing that.
    I mean either she gets the Zendaya treatment or the Starfire treatment.My bets on Starfire

How do people feel about race swapped Jean, she would still be redhead because that's too iconic.
    Not long ago I posted pictures of Savannah Smith, who was considering doing a Jean Grey-themed photoshoot, sporting red hair and shared that I would be interested in seeing her as Jean. Of course, it would take some getting used to (not much, however). I am sure fans of a historically black character having a white thespian play said character would also need time to adjust. However, I know both scenarios are not necessarily equal.

In either case, my only worry regarding Jean being played by a black thespian is how it would diminish Storm's role as the first black X-Man. She deserves to be distinguished as such.

Savannah Smith:

BANNED

This young woman is pretty and her skin tone would cause an absolute riot from conservatives/Republicans. I'd be for it if Disney were to try it.

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I absolutely love the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, it's just perfect in my opinion and makes me instantly think of many panels and moments of the actual Phoenix saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    This young woman is pretty and her skin tone would cause an absolute riot from conservatives/Republicans. I'd be for it if Disney were to try it.
    I’m not into letting conservatives/Republicans reactions (be they positive or negative) influence my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I absolutely love the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, it's just perfect in my opinion and makes me instantly think of many panels and moments of the actual Phoenix saga.
    Yes! Zimmer's score is gorgeous and evocative. I loved this analysis of it by @ClaremontRun a month or so ago:

https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/sta...38167838420993

Extraordinary Member

Not long ago I posted pictures of Savannah Smith, who was considering doing a Jean Grey-themed photoshoot, sporting red hair and shared that I would be interested in seeing her as Jean. Of course, it would take some getting used to (not much, however). I am sure fans of a historically black character having a white thespian play said character would also need time to adjust. However, I know both scenarios are not necessarily equal.

In either case, my only worry regarding Jean being played by a black thespian is how it would diminish Storm's role as the first black X-Man. She deserves to be distinguished as such.

Savannah Smith:

Agreed but this is such a good casting

Also, here are two pieces of art that gripped me today. (On a side note: The Dark Phoenix film is finally available [again?] on Disney Plus, so I'm trying to hurry up and finish some work so that I can snuggle up and watch it tonight. For some reason, considering that it veers so far away from the source material, I really enjoy this film.)

Artist Chris Jones' homage to X-Men: The Animated Series Jean Grey:

A poster for the film Dark Phoenix:

Never saw the Dark Phoenix poster before, i love it!