Page 496 of 719 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    Never saw the Dark Phoenix poster before, i love it!
    I did.

But so much of the films were cut out and then refilmed.

Also, going from 2-two-hr films to one 114 minute film caused much to be lost in the process.

The posters were downplayed since Jean's Phoenix Look was radically changed and officially, we never saw Jean become Phoenix in the movie (again, due to the editing process and refilming to make it only 1 movie).
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Jean's a redhead.Doesn't hollywood love messing them up?
    I mean either she gets the Batgirl treatment or Zendaya/Starfire treatment.My bets on the Starfire/Zendaya thing.

How do people feel about race swapped Jean, she would still be redhead because that's too iconic.
    I mean there's a reason for this right? Red hair is a pretty rare genetic trait, and they are only as prevalent in comics as they are because every artist wants to make their character seem more special and unique than everyone else, and making her a redhead is one way to help her stand out, though it doesn't work nearly as well these days given that everyone is kind of aware of the cliche. By contrast, black people are rather more common out in the real world than redheads are, yet don't seem to have nearly as much of a presence in fiction, and if the goal is to retain that visual standout quality, then race swapping the character is an easy way to do that.

Not to mention that even with a black actress you can just dye her hair red anyway, given that virtually EVERY woman colors her hair to some extent these days it's not really any less realistic. Even among white people, red hair is an extremely rare genetic trait and doesn't naturally look anything like the #FF0000 shade that Jean and other comic book heroines sport, so even actresses and celebrities known for their red hair are embellishing it to some extent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I mean there's a reason for this right? Red hair is a pretty rare genetic trait, and they are only as prevalent in comics as they are because every artist wants to make their character seem more special and unique than everyone else, and making her a redhead is one way to help her stand out, though it doesn't work nearly as well these days given that everyone is kind of aware of the cliche. By contrast, black people are rather more common out in the real world than redheads are, yet don't seem to have nearly as much of a presence in fiction, and if the goal is to retain that visual standout quality, then race swapping the character is an easy way to do that.

Not to mention that even with a black actress you can just dye her hair red anyway, given that virtually EVERY woman colors her hair to some extent these days it's not really any less realistic. Even among white people, red hair is an extremely rare genetic trait and doesn't naturally look anything like the #FF0000 shade that Jean and other comic book heroines sport, so even actresses and celebrities known for their red hair are embellishing it to some extent.
    I mean someone like MJ should not have been butchered the way they did her.Zendaya is a great actress and would make a great MJ, but hair color and her "Michelle" character f*cked her up.
    If that happens to Jean, she basically a new character w/ the name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I’m not into letting conservatives/Republicans reactions (be they positive or negative) influence my choices.
    Oh me neither. I just enjoy watching the entitled raging when they get all William Stryker about people from minority backgrounds appearing in media.

BANNED

I mean someone like MJ should not have been butchered the way they did her.Zendaya is a great actress and would make a great MJ, but hair color and her "Michelle" character f*cked her up.
    If that happens to Jean, she basically a new character w/ the name.
    I don't see what the big fuss is about anyway. Zendaya, like most prominent black actresses, is already EXTREMELY light skinned and would probably have no trouble passing for white if we didn't live in such an race-obsessed society. On top of that, teen culture these days is extremely diverse, it's not as if all the white girls are these prim and proper prom queens and the black girls are all ghetto hoodrats and the two never cross paths, teens of all races borrow from and influence each other on every level now, to the point where people are actually concerned about future generations losing their identity due to all of this assimilation. The girl that's being suggested for Jean got her break from the Gossip Girl reboot and completely embodies that spoiled rich bitch character, she is emphatically NOT the charity case from the other side of the tracks who struggles to fit in with her affluent white classmates, as such a character might have been portrayed in the past. Now, Jean doesn't really fit the mold of a high school mean girl, but then again she sort of came about at a time when everyone just pretended like teen girls were all just sweet and wholesome and didn't have a cruel or vindictive side to them and never created any conflicts whatsoever, and even in the 50s that wasn't the case in reality at all, so it totally makes sense for an updated version of her to have a little bit more attitude and mean streak to her.

I don't see what the big fuss is about anyway. Zendaya, like most prominent black actresses, is already EXTREMELY light skinned and would probably have no trouble passing for white if we didn't live in such an race-obsessed society. On top of that, teen culture these days is extremely diverse, it's not as if all the white girls are these prim and proper prom queens and the black girls are all ghetto hoodrats and the two never cross paths, teens of all races borrow from and influence each other on every level now, to the point where people are actually concerned about future generations losing their identity due to all of this assimilation. The girl that's being suggested for Jean got her break from the Gossip Girl reboot and completely embodies that spoiled rich bitch character, she is emphatically NOT the charity case from the other side of the tracks who struggles to fit in with her affluent white classmates, as such a character might have been portrayed in the past. Now, Jean doesn't really fit the mold of a high school mean girl, but then again she sort of came about at a time when everyone just pretended like teen girls were all just sweet and wholesome and didn't have a cruel or vindictive side to them and never created any conflicts whatsoever, and even in the 50s that wasn't the case in reality at all, so it totally makes sense for an updated version of her to have a little bit more attitude and mean streak to her.
    Frankly, I would much rather new and interesting characters of all races be created and optimally developed than resorting to changing the core and essential traits and fundamentals of already established characters, especially popular and iconic ones like Jean Grey. Keep in mind, I am the one that suggested I would be interested in seeing Savannah Smith portray Jean. That being said, I would not be in favor of an "updated version" of Jean in which she has "more attitude and a mean streak."

Furthermore, as I noted above, I am not okay with how the repercussions of having Jean portrayed by a woman of color would impact Storm's status as the first woman of color - and first black person - to join the X-Men. Honestly, it would diminish her status as such, which I think is unfair to her as a character and to her fans. Then again, I am partial to having comic book characters adapted and interpreted in films as faithfully and accurately as possible.

BANNED

Zendaya has a white mother and a Black father. I hope no one is suggesting she get no acting roles because she doesn’t fit some people’s preconceived notions.

There was nothing wrong with casting her as MJ.

BANNED

Zendaya pretty much is white. She’s mixed race and more than 50 percent white. Most African Americans have some white ancestry, so if they have a kid with a white person the child comes out more than 50 percent white.

Really, unless the characters race is central to the role anyone should be able to play the character. I would have no problem if Spider Man had an Asian or Latina girlfriend and people should not hate because he has a biracial girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Zendaya has a white mother and a Black father. I hope no one is suggesting she get no acting roles because she doesn’t fit some people’s preconceived notions.

There was nothing wrong with casting her as MJ.
    Agreed, but I don’t think that was what they were saying.

The dusting fight was cool but I'll be brutally honest, I cringed so hard watching that end part."My emotions" and the CGI I couldn't take this seriously.
    I regret so many movies use computers to make special effects: it screams so much of “I’ve been made by a machine, I’m not real”… It’s a bit difficult to believe in a sci-fi film to begin with, it doesn’t help. They should use sparingly, like a “nude make-up”… “Alien” was terrifying because we hardly saw the monster…
    Last edited by Zelena; 09-05-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Zendaya pretty much is white. She’s mixed race and more than 50 percent white. Most African Americans have some white ancestry, so if they have a kid with a white person the child comes out more than 50 percent white.

Really, unless the characters race is central to the role anyone should be able to play the character. I would have no problem if Spider Man had an Asian or Latina girlfriend and people should not hate because he has a biracial girlfriend.
    As the kids say, "say it again for the ones in the back".

MJ is pretty much a whole new character to begin with, she's not even called Mary Jane. I don't think that'll be the case for Jean, regardless of the race of her future actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Oh me neither. I just enjoy watching the entitled raging when they get all William Stryker about people from minority backgrounds appearing in media.
    Good, good …. No point in letting those particular “others” invade freely your mind-space
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    MJ is pretty much a whole new character to begin with, she's not even called Mary Jane. I don't think that'll be the case for Jean, regardless of the race of her future actress.
    As long as the actress good I won’t care. Race is not integral to her character.

That would be a nice t-shirt or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    As the kids say, "say it again for the ones in the BLACK".
    Ironically Zendaya also looks amazing as a redhead.

Halle Berry would have been a GREAT Jean Grey btw.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.