Page 556 of 719 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557558559560566606656 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 10783

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    No capes! :P

Aw love, ya Edna Moded me! lol
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 10-03-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Still tinkering with my personal "What If...Marvel Girl wore pants?"... :-P #mutantclothesonly
    Eh. Not really how I like Jean’s style, but it’s far from the worst.

I still think people are overreacting about a skirt, but if I were to fix these two outfits, I’d probably add a jacket or coat to finish it off.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

A jacket or coat...like her New X-Men outfit, under Morrison.

For some reason...that shade of green just looks wrong in a full body suit...and with the yellow is too 90's Rogue, which I abhor.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Still tinkering with my personal "What If...Marvel Girl wore pants?"... :-P #mutantclothesonly
    They gave her pants when she became Phoenix. I don't see anything wrong with people wearing skirts. This does a tongue and cheek energy though.

It think wearing long hair down is less practical because it gets in your face if your turn quick while fighting. Unless you use telekinesis to stop that from happening like Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They gave her pants when she became Phoenix. I don't see anything wrong with people wearing skirts. This does a tongue and cheek energy though.

It think wearing long hair down is less practical because it gets in your face if your turn quick while fighting. Unless you use telekinesis to stop that from happening like Jean.
    The thing is that the skirt is kinda cheesecakey, as one or two of Hickman's Twitter posts from this era kinda exemplified.

I feel like if Jean is gonna be in a cheesecake outfit, it should be juxtaposed and counterbalanced with a super-capable characterization and a meaningful narrative for the character.

Otherwise it's just "hurr hurr I can see her thighs!"

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Thought about the exact same thing, no capes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Aw love, ya Edna Moded me! lol
    Sorry, guys, I couldn't resist the temptation. Besides...

Edna Mode > Jumbo Carnation :P

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The thing is that the skirt is kinda cheesecakey, as one or two of Hickman's Twitter posts from this era kinda exemplified.

I feel like if Jean is gonna be in a cheesecake outfit, it should be juxtaposed and counterbalanced with a super-capable characterization and a meaningful narrative for the character.

Nothing wrong w/ a little cheescake IMO(in moderation ofc), I don't think the costume is crossing any line.

I only dislike it because it's not combat efficient, which many costumes aren't.Long hair for is another thing that's not good for combat but so many people have it.Kinda just have to liv w/ it.

I think Jean can pull it off, but as you said it works when it's balanced by a very mature narrative, otherwise it comes of as childish.

Extraordinary Member

Sorry, guys, I couldn't resist the temptation. Besides...

Edna Mode > Jumbo Carnation :P
    Edna supremacy!

I love these panels and dialogue. I find them inspiring. (NOTE: “Violent,” to me, means something else entirely… It’s too late to try and articulate what. Maybe later.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love these panels and dialogue. I find them inspiring. (NOTE: “Violent,” to me, means something else entirely… It’s too late to try and articulate what. Maybe later.)

I agree, it does not have to mean more bloodshed. Maybe just a different strategy, like one that is head-on vs waiting around? It does look like Jean is bringing it to them!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

Most superhero costumes are "cheesecakey." You're just used to them. Ask someone who doesn't read or like comics what they think about most if not all these costumes.

They used her Marvel Girl costume because that's the Jean they wanted. And yes, people who wear skirts and dresses can also be strong. I think that's what is the most difficult thing to understand about feminity, since society only sees a men culture (i.e.their cloth/pants) as strong. Read about the history of shoulder pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I agree, it does not have to mean more bloodshed. Maybe just a different strategy, like one that is head-on vs waiting around? It does look like Jean is bringing it to them!
    Exactly. An assertion. The dialogue spoke to me as a personal call to action; almost like something one would say to oneself about one's own life versus an adversary.

Decisive, resolute, purposeful, undaunted, unwavering, unyielding, unflinching, stern...

None of those are synonym of "violent". I don't suppose Jean was being poetic and I like to believe a woman, who is a native speaker and is described as highly intelligent has a better vocabulary than that.

But if you guys prefer to see that as Percy having Jean saying they should be violent, as they rush into action, but not actually meaning that literally, while expecting the rest of team to get her meaning.... well, enjoy it, my friends. You are more enlightened than I am. :)

Decisive, resolute, purposeful, undaunted, unwavering, unyielding, unflinching, stern...

None of those are synonym of "violent". I don't suppose Jean was being poetic and I like to believe a woman, who is a native speaker and is described as highly intelligent has a better vocabulary than that.

But if you guys prefer to see that as Percy having Jean saying they should be violent, as they rush into action, but not actually meaning that literally, while expecting the rest of team to get her meaning.... well, enjoy it, my friends. You are more enlightened than I am.
    I should have clarified: I purposefully chose to read the dialogue figuratively and out of context, and it spoke to me on a personal level. I was not trying to imply that she meant anything other than what she explicitly states. However, since we are playing word games, which I love, here are some synonyms for "violent" outside of those commonly used or thought of. Source: https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/violent

fierce, passionate, potent, powerful, aroused, fiery, forceful, great, headstrong, impassioned, mighty, strong, unrestrained, urgent, vehement

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I should have clarified: I purposefully chose to read the dialogue figuratively and out of context, and it spoke to me on a personal level. I was not trying to imply that she meant anything other than what she explicitly states. However, since we are playing word games, which I love, here are some synonyms for "violent" outside of those commonly used or thought of. Source: https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/violent
    All right. But, while in context... In my opinion, as you run into battle/action and you're talking to your team, violent means violent. Literally. Jean is a veteran combatant. I think she's supposed to understand that that is not a circumstance in which she should use the word "violent" with a metaphorical meaning, especially when Logan is on her team.

But again: just my opinion, given the context of scene.