Page 60 of 719 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    I think I get the part where villains were allowed in Krakoa. If the goal is to build a Mutant nation, then they need to adopt all mutants, good or bad. And if they violate the law, they are prosecuted based on Krakoa law, instead of prosecuted by human law. Like any other country, just because Hitler did something atrocious, does not deny the fact that he is still German. And Germany has to live with that. Same goes with Krakoa.
    Hitler wasn't german, he was austrian. This should tell how wrong is having villains with power on a country

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    She was DEFINITELY exposition heavy and used to clue in the readers on everything that had transpired in the tie ins comics. That said she has not looked this good since the start of Hickman's era, she was confident, firm, and capable terms I wouldn't immediately apply to Hickman's Jean. The entire world had been consumed by Knull's symbiote army, look at the heroes who all fell before her yet, she was able to prevent herself from being captured, contact Dylan and guide him into freeing everyone, she then linked the minds of all the freed heroes, formulated a plan with them to incapacitate Knull's army, squared off against Knull alone to protect Dylan, mindblasted a God which is supposed to be impossible according to Thor, read his mind and uncovered the truth in how to defeat him for good something minds like Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Beast, and even Charles Xavier could do.

In the 4 years since she's been back Jean has never looked this good, and that's including X-men Red which imo was the height of Jean being used correctly. In a company wide crossover, which Jean had no personal connection to ANY of the main players. Jean looked more like a LEADER in this one issue, than she has in anything under Hickman, his most recent issue with her had her scan a few minds, and then immediately crack under the pressure after Scott was knock out, this Jean was confident in not only herself but her actions and it's a rarity to see Jean in this form.
    It's good to see Jean Grey respected and leading Marvel greatest heroes (squirrel girl wasn't there but I will take what I can) is a thing I never expected to see.
    I hope more writers will start using her this way, being smart and capable, on other Marvel universe books. Usually they only use Wolverine, want to see Jean used more.

It was even bigger than X-men Red.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It's good to see Jean Grey respected and leading Marvel greatest heroes (squirrel girl wasn't there but I will take what I can) is a thing I never expected to see.
    I hope more writers will start using her this way, being smart and capable, on other Marvel universe books. Usually they only use Wolverine, want to see Jean used more.

It was even bigger than X-men Red.
    The weird thing is that she ISN'T consistently used like this, New X-men and X-men Red are the natural progression of the character yet since the 80's she continues to be reset at the start of the next run or dead. Jean was always meant to take on a role similar to Xavier but previously and certainly in this Hickman era he refuses to allow her to fully live in that role. She was trained by the strongest telepath on the planet, she is like a daughter figure to Xavier, and according to him his successor. If only writers would let her be that, the same way they allowed Cyclops to outgrow Xavier once upon a time.

I'm so impressed in how Jean was treated in comparison to her peers and by figureheads in the superhero community, both Mr. Fantastic and Dr. Strange treated her like an equal. Which is a FAR departure from whatever her relationship is to Xavier in the era of Hickman!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    I think I get the part where villains were allowed in Krakoa. If the goal is to build a Mutant nation, then they need to adopt all mutants, good or bad. And if they violate the law, they are prosecuted based on Krakoa law, instead of prosecuted by human law. Like any other country, just because Hitler did something atrocious, does not deny the fact that he is still German. And Germany has to live with that. Same goes with Krakoa.
    This is not the same thing. So, you would allow in this nation rapist/paedophile just because they are mutants? What they did are condemnable even on Krakoa. For the Hitler example,I don't get the point. You said Hitler did bad things OK and he was German and??? A better example would be Israël not Germany, dude! Mutants are a metahpore for racism. They chose to live on Krakoa to have a chance to survive and multiply. It didn't make any sense they chose to welcome people who tried to kill them and succeeded sometimes and are known to be real psychopaths, tyrants and extremists persons? Now Cable and Apoc are buddies. Mr Sinister a member of their council when he is not a mutant. Serial killer like Selene and Shadow King are welcome and hugged. Come on! Next time Prof X will be best friend forever with Mephisto? And people will be like OK it makes sense? It's totally normal, AMAZZZZZING!

The codename, the costume all of it is awful from top to bottom, and after KIB, I keep thinking how much better her triumphant reveal would have been if she was wearing anything other than that boring, uninspired dress. Moreover I have to say how, I'll still be disappointed if we had to endure that stupid dress for nearly 2 years just because Hickman wanted to design something for her in the new X-men book.
    It doesn't matter what she does...it matter what's she's WEARING? Disturbing trend.

The Marvel Girl outfit is Jean's most distinctive, recognizable visual without the Phoenix identity. You can tell who she is just by a piece of that mask shape, without coloring, without full body shown, without dialogue...its distinctive. You won't mistake her for Lorna or anyone else.
    Should/could it have been better drawn by most artists or modernized? Of course.

But the discounting of anything this female character does because fans don't like what she's wearing is reminiscent of discussions of the popularity of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel being pinned to whether her hair is long or short.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-18-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    It doesn't matter what she does...it matter what's she's WEARING? Disturbing trend.

The Marvel Girl outfit is Jean's most distinctive, recognizable visual without the Phoenix identity. You can tell who she is just by a piece of that mask shape, without coloring, without full body shown, without dialogue...its distinctive. You won't mistake her for Lorna or anyone else.
    She went over 40 years without it and I dont think it was ever a major issue with people recognizing her. Her rise in popularity was without it

The weird thing is that she ISN'T consistently used like this, New X-men and X-men Red are the natural progression of the character yet since the 80's she continues to be reset at the start of the next run or dead. Jean was always meant to take on a role similar to Xavier but previously and certainly in this Hickman era he refuses to allow her to fully live in that role. She was trained by the strongest telepath on the planet, she is like a daughter figure to Xavier, and according to him his successor. If only writers would let her be that, the same way they allowed Cyclops to outgrow Xavier once upon a time.

I'm so impressed in how Jean was treated in comparison to her peers and by figureheads in the superhero community, both Mr. Fantastic and Dr. Strange treated her like an equal. Which is a FAR departure from whatever her relationship is to Xavier in the era of Hickman!
    Jean Grey problem is that she is a woman. If she was a man she would get all the respect and leading roles the males counterpart gets

Put on a dress and a mask and say that this is a battle suit in the middle of 2021 ... And the worst thing, an outfit she wore as a teenager
    Ironically the writer who did this to her makes her look highly off and be a woman in defense. And still makes an edition that she forgets that has telekinesis

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She went over 40 years without it and I dont think it was ever a major issue with people recognizing her. Her rise in popularity was without it
    Quoted for truth, the idea that we should somehow feel bad about ourselves because we dislike that rag from 50+ years ago is laughable at best.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

A Jean cameo in Marvel's Voices Legacy #1. I believe this is a story featuring Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post

A Jean cameo in Marvel's Voices Legacy #1. I believe this is a story featuring Storm.
    Looks like she's wearing the Dautermann redesign

Jean Grey problem is that she is a woman. If she was a man she would get all the respect and leading roles the males counterpart gets
    this this this and this!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fridric View Post
    This is not the same thing. So, you would allow in this nation rapist/paedophile just because they are mutants? What they did are condemnable even on Krakoa. For the Hitler example,I don't get the point. You said Hitler did bad things OK and he was German and??? A better example would be Israël not Germany, dude! Mutants are a metahpore for racism. They chose to live on Krakoa to have a chance to survive and multiply. It didn't make any sense they chose to welcome people who tried to kill them and succeeded sometimes and are known to be real psychopaths, tyrants and extremists persons? Now Cable and Apoc are buddies. Mr Sinister a member of their council when he is not a mutant. Serial killer like Selene and Shadow King are welcome and hugged. Come on! Next time Prof X will be best friend forever with Mephisto? And people will be like OK it makes sense? It's totally normal, AMAZZZZZING!
    You can't pick and choose who your citizens are. How is that different from citizens causing domestic terrorism?
    While birth citizenship is based on where you are born (for some countries), I guess Krakoa's citizenship is based on whether you are a mutant or not.
    Adding Sinister to the QC is for diplomacy, to put up a face that they don't pick and choose. There is no "good citizen" requirement, if you are a mutant, you are a citizen of krakoa (if you choose).
    One good thing about this, if they do choose to be Krakoan, then they should abide by Krakoan law, which is do not kill humans. Plus mutants can deal with mutant problems.
    Mutants is a metaphor for racism, but that is if you correlate that to reality. This is comics, so mutant is considered a race.

Fantastic Member

Hitler wasn't german, he was austrian. This should tell how wrong is having villains with power on a country
    Austrian born German politician. I guess he's both.
    Last edited by mike7171; 02-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post

That's all we get? A bed of hair and a hint of Dautermann costume from Storm's best friend?!