Page 607 of 719 FirstFirst ... 107507557597603604605606607608609610611617657707 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,105 of 10783
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Marvel should create a limited series centered on that and fleshing out what Mastermind did. I vote for Claremont to write and Dauterman to draw it.

Also, seeing as this omnibus is labeled as Volume 1, I’m assuming they’re going to collect Jean’s other Phoenix stories. I can see them including relevant X-Factor, Revolution X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, and New X-Men issues, along with the Phoenix limited series, Endsong and Resurrection, and, of course, The Trial of Jean Grey arc and all of Jean Grey. This omnibus series might also extend beyond Jean’s relationship with the Phoenix Force and include its relationships with other hosts.

I’m interested to see how they handle this collection.
    As a fan of Jean for nearly 2 decades I can not for the life of me, understand how/why no has ever pitched cosmic stories exploring Jean/Phoenix. About a decade back there was so much being done with the cosmic scene and the PF was left out of it completely. Flashforward to now, where Ewing is doing a lot of work with that scene and Jean is completely detached from the PF. I've always wondered if there's an internal memo not allowing writers to tell those stories or there's simply no interest in telling stories about Jean's relationship!

SIDE NOTE: I will never forgive Rosenberg or Marvel for allowing him to talk them into converting Jean's massive cosmic return with interstellar consequences into a badly written break up story about Jean and the Phoenix only Jean isn't present for 4 of the 5 issues. UGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    As a fan of Jean for nearly 2 decades I can not for the life of me, understand how/why no has ever pitched cosmic stories exploring Jean/Phoenix. About a decade back there was so much being done with the cosmic scene and the PF was left out of it completely. Flashforward to now, where Ewing is doing a lot of work with that scene and Jean is completely detached from the PF. I've always wondered if there's an internal memo not allowing writers to tell those stories or there's simply no interest in telling stories about Jean's relationship!
    This really is baffling. I mean, Jean + Phoenix sells. Marvel should’ve greenlit something during her 14-year absence. Even now, they could do it, though they probably don’t want it to overshadow Echo’s current arc with the Phoenix Force. (Incidentally, I read Phoenix Song: Echo and was shocked by how much I disliked it. Initially, after making my peace with the Phoenix Force’s separation from Jean, I was intrigued by this story, but it turned out to be cliched and almost amateurish. I feel like they rehashed old tropes half hazardously. I’m going to continue reading it to see if it gets better, but I give the first issue a C-.)

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    SIDE NOTE: I will never forgive Rosenberg or Marvel for allowing him to talk them into converting Jean's massive cosmic return with interstellar consequences into a badly written break up story about Jean and the Phoenix only Jean isn't present for 4 of the 5 issues. UGH!!!
    Part of me thinks Marvel mandated the separation, but Rosenberg is taking the hit to remain professional and not point any fingers. I can’t see Marvel allowing a, at the time, relatively new writer to make such a big decision. Then again, maybe this is what I want to believe, lol.

Astonishing Member

Oh, I’ve seen plenty of people praise this arc, including professional reviewers. Although I’m sure your vitriol has to do with one of your favorites not getting the treatment you feel they deserved, I’ll indulge you: Why do you consider it trash?
    I mean considering I've seen posters on this board call Hickman's era trash and that the X-Men need to return back to Guggenheim's Gold era it certainly is Different Strokes for different folks lol

My issue with the whole Bendis era isn't really anything to do with the 05 or teen Jean. My issue is that it was accompanied by a slew of forgettable / poorly-written storylines. And Marvel's incessant need to keep the original Jean Grey dead. "The adventures of teen Jean" might as well be in an alternate timeline version considering it's barely ever referenced outside of the book that it occurred in. The O5 was a marketing gimmick that lasted way too long and it ultimately went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean considering I've seen posters on this board call Hickman's era trash and that the X-Men need to return back to Guggenheim's Gold era it certainly is Different Strokes for different folks lol
    This is so true, lol.

My issue with the whole Bendis era isn't really anything to do with the 05 or teen Jean. My issue is that it was accompanied by a slew of forgettable / poorly-written storylines. And Marvel's incessant need to keep the original Jean Grey dead. "The adventures of teen Jean" might as well be in an alternate timeline version considering it's barely ever referenced outside of the book that it occurred in. The O5 was a marketing gimmick that lasted way too long and it ultimately went nowhere.
    I respectfully but vehemently disagree. Bendis’ run, which I read for the first time a few months ago, reignited my love for the original five X-Men in a way I never thought possible. Also, the Battle of the Atom and Trial of Jean Grey arcs gripped and moved me. I found the whole premise of this era, including those aspects covered by other writers like Bunn and Hopeless, fascinating and engaging.

Jean’s arc and evolution, in particular, may be my favorites of her comic book history. From touching upon Xavier blocking her power and underscoring said power to adding to her Phoenix mythos and addressing her relationship with Scott in a realistic and, ultimately, moving way, I think Bendis, Bunn, Hopeless, et al., did an excellent job of adding depth and layers to a character that was already quite complex. (It’s clear that Bendis and co. we’re/are big fans of Jean.)

Also, reading this era, which also delves into Scott’s betrayal of Jean and Jean’s relationship with Emma, made it easier for me to accept Jean and Scott as a couple again. (Duggan’s depiction of their relationship has been integral to me feeling comfortable with their relationship, too.) Although I understand fans wishing for a heart-to-heart between Jean and Scott regarding all that transpired before her death in New X-Men - I’ve longed for this, too - their teenage selves are given a chance to do this in surprisingly poignant ways.

Hickman choosing not to spotlight this aspect of the O5’s history is understandable, especially considering who and what he would end up focusing on. However, the fact that this period of the O5’s history has been officialized as canon, rather than retconned, is a relief to me. I cherish these stories, and I’m sure we haven’t read or seen the last of this era.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-26-2021 at 09:23 AM.

This really is baffling. I mean, Jean + Phoenix sells. Marvel should’ve greenlit something during her 14-year absence. Even now, they could do it, though they probably don’t want it to overshadow Echo’s current arc with the Phoenix Force. (Incidentally, I read Phoenix Song: Echo and was shocked by how much I disliked it. Initially, after making my peace with the Phoenix Force’s separation from Jean, I was intrigued by this story, but it turned out to be cliched and almost amateurish. I feel like they rehashed old tropes half hazardously. I’m going to continue reading it to see if it gets better, but I give the first issue a C-.)
    I feel the same. The rehashing of tropes made my eyes roll (Forge was literally the Tony Stark here, trying to defeat Phoenix with machines). Next issue she is going to be on Krakoa and I'm kinda nervous, I just hope that they characterize Jean right regarding Phoenix (assuming that she will appear). I liked the new friend of Maya.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It does sound like they are having a stroke if they think the GueggenGold era was better lol

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    I feel the same. The rehashing of tropes made my eyes roll (Forge was literally the Tony Stark here, trying to defeat Phoenix with machines). Next issue she is going to be on Krakoa and I'm kinda nervous, I just hope that they characterize Jean right regarding Phoenix (assuming that she will appear). I liked the new friend of Maya.
    Yeah, I expected so much more. Frankly, it feels either rushed and hackneyed.

Spectacular Member

Some Jean's fans need to stop falling in this kind of threads: Why-is-Jean-never-held-accountable-for-her-emotional-affair-with-another-man. Don't feed the troll, they hate Jean, they will find any motive to trash-talking and then complain that her fans are protecting her. Seriously, leave that people to be eaten by their own hate. That thread is growing only because you are giving them motives

Quote Originally Posted by Dam View Post
    Some Jean's fans need to stop falling in this kind of threads: Why-is-Jean-never-held-accountable-for-her-emotional-affair-with-another-man. Don't feed the troll, they hate Jean, they will find any motive to trash-talking and then complain that her fans are protecting her. Seriously, leave that people to be eaten by their own hate. That thread is growing only because you are giving them motives
    That poster's central question is worthy of a response, especially since they have chosen to couch their question in inflammatory untruths, to put it mildly (e.g., "[Jean] approached [Logan] for sex," etc.).

We're here to discuss, not always agree on, certain topics.

She’s something else. It’s called perfection.

So, she telepathically injected the Cerebro backup of Fabian Cortez’s mind into his new husk without the help of a Cerebro helmet… Interesting.

Last edited by Mercury; 10-27-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Spectacular Member

That poster's central question is worthy of a response, especially since they have chosen to couch their question in inflammatory untruths, to put it mildly (e.g., "[Jean] approached [Logan] for sex," etc.).

We're here to discuss, not always agree on, certain topics.
    There are some users always trashing Jean because they know some fans will react, I think it's ok to discuss but you can notice easily that some comments or threads are totally a trap, those kind of things should be avoided, they just enjoy making fun of Jean's fans.

Let them. I thrive on those who reach only to grasp nothing but thin air.

I’m just going to flood this thread with everything I love about this character.