Page 63 of 719 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163563 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I’d like to see this outfit make it into the 616. The only thing I would add are her trademark Morrison X boots.
    I adored her X-Factor Forever look. In general I wish that series had become an ongoing because Louise Simonson is one of the best Jean writers after Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by fridric View Post
    Well, sorry it's not the place to talk about this subject. Jean deserves to be in a leader position at that time but she's not because of Hickman who reduced her role to Cyclops' wife again.
    You're not alone in feeling this way. Not interested in the current run at all and can't wait till Hickman's run is retconned. It doesn't help that he seriously doesn't care about Jean at all. So wish Rick Remender had been working on the X-Books instead because he is a huge Jean fan and would totally have been able to write her competently.

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Too bad the current Jean Grey doesn’t express the same sentiments…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I need a Pink Phoenix Effect in my life. It is so iconic. No idea why the writers refuse to use it ALL THE TIME. Just say it's her omega level potential without the Phoenix Force.

I also like how Phoenix brought the effect back as an expression of her telepathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    There is literally no reason that makes sense, that Jean doesn't use it more often. It is IMMEDIATELY recognizable, and demonstrates such a clear and concise depiction of the character.
    There is a reason given...doesn't mean you have to LIKE it...but to say there has been NO reason given (unless you didn't read PHOENIX:RESURRECTION), is inaccurate at best.
    Jean Grey has been divorced from the Phoenix imagery under current editorial. It is characterized as an abusive relationship.
    The cycle will turn, but in the mean time...
    But in the meantime, you've got me thinking how a PINK PHOENIX might look. A redhead in pink, that's a tough one.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-20-2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Added Here Comes Tomorrow Phoenix

BANNED

That narrative is pushed by sexists. The future won't respect it and it was only done because powerful women irk some folk.

I can't wait for some future progressive writer to give ol' Rosie's and, to a certain extent, Hickman's runs the finger.

They have nerve, honestly. Crapping on the Phoenix as if they have done something as creative.

Someone please strip their favorite dude character of his legacy and power ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    That narrative is pushed by sexists.
    Strong casual accusations, right there. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Yesss. This is and the Morrison look is the modern take we need.

I like the Marvel Girl look more than her horrendous shoulders pad xmen red costume.
    The shoulder pads are what kind of does the X-Men:Red look in for me. And the needless bulkiness of the bodice armor. She looks like she's wearing a Buick. Dauterman tones it down a bit and others have made it more palatable by de-emphasizing the armored "feel" of it , but then it still feels like she's got foam rubber shoulder pads.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    New X-men Jean will always be my favorite look right next to the Phoenix costume. I'm fine with either the bomber jacket or the trench coat.
    Is it "Mutant Clothes"-y enough for the Krakoan era? Even Emma takes her couture over the top to make it a costume. The (admittedly beloved) NEW- X-MEN suits might be a little too off the rack to qualify.

If anything, I'd like to see a revisit of the slight glimpse of that era's dress for Jean and interpret it as something along the lines of Melanie Cavill in SNOWPIERCER.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-20-2021 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added Snowpiercer

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    That narrative is pushed by sexists. The future won't respect it and it was only done because powerful women irk some folk.

I can't wait for some future progressive writer to give ol' Rosie's and, to a certain extent, Hickman's runs the finger.

They have nerve, honestly. Crapping on the Phoenix as if they have done something as creative.

Someone please strip their favorite dude character of his legacy and power ASAP.
    Captain America becoming old and Thor losing his name and hammer come to mind already. It's a comic trope.

I don't think the situation with Jean is sexism. Hickman is definitely not that great at handling her, but it's probably interest rather than anything else. He seems to prioritize story points over everything else. Character work included.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The shoulder pads are what kind of does the X-Men:Red look in for me. And the needless bulkiness of the bodice armor. She looks like she's wearing a Buick. Dauterman tones it down a bit and others have made it more palatable by de-emphasizing the armored "feel" of it , but then it still feels like she's got foam rubber shoulder pads.
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the X-men Red costume for this reason. It feels too bulky and armored for a telepath and telekinetic. I feel like Jean needs something more "elegant". For all we know Hickman saw One Punch Man and decided to give Jean her Marvel Girl costume as a result, lol. She needs something new, but something that fits her powers.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 02-20-2021 at 02:05 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

I don't think Hickman's Jean being underwhelming is anything to do with male superiority but more to do with Cyclops being the figurehead of the flagship team. Adding to that Jean was dead for last 15 to 20 years so his character development with respect to the recent events had more experience. I think she should have a different direction towards the other x-books(like Sword or X-Force etc)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the X-men Red costume for this reason. It feels too bulky and armored for a telepath and telekinetic. I feel like Jean needs something more "elegant". For all we know Hickman saw One Punch Man and decided to give Jean her Marvel Girl costume as a result, lol. She needs something new, but something that fits her powers.
    It's a battle suit. Even if I wasn't a big fan of it, I think it fitted her as she was the leader of the team. It implies her authority.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    It's a battle suit. Even if I wasn't a big fan of it, I think it fitted her as she was the leader of the team. It implies her authority.
    I'm not sure I agree with the authority aspect. A battle suit doesn't seem to demonstrate leadership. Even compared to her 90's era uniform, it's quite bulky apart from the shoulder pads. Her New X-men uniform seemed to imply authority as well as fit her powers. I feel like she would have been better off with something like that or something reminiscent of her Phoenix costume. I think I would prefer that over a color swap.

I don't think Hickman's Jean being underwhelming is anything to do with male superiority but more to do with Cyclops being the figurehead of the flagship team. Adding to that Jean was dead for last 15 to 20 years so his character development with respect to the recent events had more experience. I think she should have a different direction towards the other x-books(like Sword or X-Force etc)
    I feel like Cyclops' inclusion as the main lead forces Hickman to probably use her. So, to that extent, maybe. Her number of appearances might not be the same. That being said, she's been a guest character up to this point, so it's hard to tell if there will be any improvement. Her leading a team with Cyclops might lead to improvement for both, but considering they both took an L for Storm last issue, I'm not too optimistic.

I feel like Hickman needs more than one book to world build and another to just have stories. Attempting to do both seems to make most characters fodder for story points.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 02-20-2021 at 03:11 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I thought the pink Psi-projection we got in X-Men 17 was a really great visual.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Captain America becoming old and Thor losing his name and hammer come to mind already. It's a comic trope.

I don't think the situation with Jean is sexism. Hickman is definitely not that great at handling her, but it's probably interest rather than anything else. He seems to prioritize story points over everything else. Character work included.
    Captain america was still the leader of avengers/uncanny avengers, Thor still was a badassand got even his own mini. Ended up being king on Asgard.

None of thee situations are close to what Jean is getting and got over the years. So I disagree with you, sexism with Jean has been very on the face for decades

That still can be read as sexism. Hickman is terrible with female characters, I still remember when he had hulk punch easily Carol on his Avengers run. The some years late she was taking on Thanos on Mcu
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-20-2021 at 08:48 PM.

BANNED

The hammer and shield were never intentionally misconstrued as things that should never have come to them and should be forgotten ostensibly forever. Those things were taken away to do new angles on stories. They weren't depowered or demoted in presence, and certainly not in service to shipping.

Jean lost her stuff because a couple of dudes don't want her at Thor's level because she is their pet character's Mary Jane.

There's a difference!

That dude Rosenberg refused a book because he didn't want Jean Grey to be a leader lmao. Imagine being that antiquated in the mind. The 60s were ages ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    You're not alone in feeling this way. Not interested in the current run at all and can't wait till Hickman's run is retconned. It doesn't help that he seriously doesn't care about Jean at all. So wish Rick Remender had been working on the X-Books instead because he is a huge Jean fan and would totally have been able to write her competently.
    Marvel has never retconned an entire run. Ever. So I doubt Hickman’s run will be retconned.