Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Still waiting for Lorena to make a comeback though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    as far as we know, Jackson is gay. you gotta remember, this version of Jackson/Kaldur was only around for a year and was super early in his development, so they didn't know who he was yet. so they might have hinted at something between them but I'm doubtful it was ever explored much and he's only expressed interest in boys ever since coming out so to speak. Kaldur'ahm on the show is bi or pan (think they said he was pan but I could be wrong)but that was partially due to his sexuality in the comics was revealed after they already established Kaldur had feelings for Tula, so they had to make a compromise. However Jackson, as far as we know, is just gay.

personally I think that having him come around to discovering he's pan in the comics could make for some interesting story regarding exploring sexuality, the journey of coming to terms with sexual identity not being a straight line, and the kaleidoscopic nature of sexuality as a spectrum. unfortunately, I doubt a lot of DC writers have the tact to pull it off nor do I think they could pull it off without caving to any potential backlash immediately.
    I recall reading a thing from Greg Weisman's blog (and also remember when that used to get updates). There, he specifically used the word polysexual, on the grounds that whether Kaldur was Bi or Pan or anything else hadn't been something Kaldur himself has come to direct terms with (from the perspective of "SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.").

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was he not still with the guy from Xebel?
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Apparently they broke up because Jackson didn't want him more involved than he already was since it was the final war of Atlantis in that run... or so I heard I kinda left the Aquafam during Rebirth and only paid attention again for this new mini.

as far as we know, Jackson is gay. you gotta remember, this version of Jackson/Kaldur was only around for a year and was super early in his development, so they didn't know who he was yet. so they might have hinted at something between them but I'm doubtful it was ever explored much and he's only expressed interest in boys ever since coming out so to speak.
    Even if they're meant to be the same character, I won't be surprised if Geoff Johns, between Brightest Day to Rebirth where these two disappeared, decided to just change it and make him gay.

I think Weisman was the first one to indicate that TV!Kaldur wasn't "straight," so maybe they had that worked out from the start and Johns capitalized on it for Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Apparently they broke up because Jackson didn't want him more involved than he already was since it was the final war of Atlantis in that run... or so I heard I kinda left the Aquafam during Rebirth and only paid attention again for this new mini.
    They were never officially together to break up. Jackson met him in Xebel but since he wasn't staying they parted on good terms with the hope/intention of seeing each other again. Now we know he'll be popping up in the upcoming mini.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    They were never officially together to break up. Jackson met him in Xebel but since he wasn't staying they parted on good terms with the hope/intention of seeing each other again. Now we know he'll be popping up in the upcoming mini.
    Ah. That makes more sense since from what I know he was only in Xebel because he wanted to see his mother's hometown when he was supposed to return to Atlantis. That sound like too short a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Even if they're meant to be the same character, I won't be surprised if Geoff Johns, between Brightest Day to Rebirth where these two disappeared, decided to just change it and make him gay.
    Jackson coming out was not a Geoff Johns idea, that came about from Benjamin Percy's Teen Titans in Rebirth. in fact, Jackson was missing all of New 52, never appeared in Johns' Aquaman, and only really met and starting working with Arthur recently, from KSD's run.

thats why I generally ignore comic Kaldur, his existence was fleeting and the character's almost exclusively informed by the show and the version introduced in Rebirth. I'm pretty sure Johns only pouched him from the Young Justice production team because his character design and concept was cool; but he didn't have much creative energy for Jackson and ended up sidestepping him as soon as he could.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Jackson coming out was not a Geoff Johns idea, that came about from Benjamin Percy's Teen Titans in Rebirth. in fact, Jackson was missing all of New 52, never appeared in Johns' Aquaman, and only really met and starting working with Arthur recently, from KSD's run.

thats why I generally ignore comic Kaldur, his existence was fleeting and the character's almost exclusively informed by the show and the version introduced in Rebirth. I'm pretty sure Johns only pouched him from the Young Justice production team because his character design and concept was cool; but he didn't have much creative energy for Jackson and ended up sidestepping him as soon as he could.
    But remember in Rebirth #1 Jackson was revealed to be gay in that one panel snippet. Johns didn't really do anything with it but he reintroduced Jackson with him being gay.

Astonishing Member

A lot of the New 52 was expressly against anything to do with sidekicks and proteges, apparently to Johns' chagrin. Not like Garth showed up much, either.

My understanding is that Johns worked with the YJ crew to create Jackson/Kaldur early in the development process which was why he was able to appear in the comics as early as he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    A lot of the New 52 was expressly against anything to do with sidekicks and proteges, apparently to Johns' chagrin. Not like Garth showed up much, either.
    He referenced a boy with purple eyes in his Aquaman run.

His run was all about building Aquaman back from square one, more or less, so I feel like he probably would have introduced Garth first if he'd been on the book longer. He did bring Tula back.

I think it was a Renee Montoya situation. Jackson is credited to have been created by Brandon Vietti, Greg Wesiman and Phil Bourassa. Johns just got the chance to incorporate him into the comics early because comics have a shorter production timeline than cartoons. Renee's creation is credited to Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Mitch Brian while Alan Grant introduced her in the comics in Batman #475.

Aquaman: The Becoming releases next week!

My thoughts from the discussion thread:

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Man, I loved this issue. The art was on point (thank god this book got a competent artist) and the writing was very good. Thomas has given Jackson his own voice and attitude after so many years. The framing setup does seem kinda weak but there's probably more to it.

I love how Jackson still keeps in touch with his old TT members. It was interesting to learn that he actually quit the team instead of just not showing up on missions anymore. Usually, characters disappear mainly because different rosters mean different characters. That doesn't mean they left the team but here that's the case. At least he is still friends with them. Seeing Wallace made we want a Brave and the Bold team-up story with Kid Flash, Connor Hawke, Duke Thomas, Jon, Miss Martian, and Yara.

I love the Well. Its basically the Danger Room and other training facilities in fiction but at this point the concept is a staple in comics and many other media so no problem there. Was Mera eyeing the crown so she can go try it? I think thats why she was rushing them to leave. Also Batman of course having fun with it as well. Man is always prepared for everything.

Jackson's interaction with his mother gets better and better everytime Lucia shows up. I love how close they have become.

Jackson got his butt handed to him at the end though. He needs to call up Bronze Tiger or Wonder Woman for some sparring sessions.

The structure of this comic felt like an older comic. We didn't spend an whole issue on one scene/location and things kept moving whle also developing the characters and plot.

Excited for more!

Agreed on everything! This was a great issue for Jackson and I've seen so many positive reviews of the issue. A lot of newer fans are coming into it and I think it has some neat moments for long time fans of the Aqua-world.

The Well is soooooo cool!

Finally got caught up. Great first issue. The art was fantastic and the story itself did a good job in setting up the character, establishing supporting characters and it sets up a clear direction by the end for where it's going to go for the next issue.