Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I guess the copyright issues over the name Devil Ray must be over since that was suppose to be Manta's original name. Wonder will Devil ray look like Michael Beach.

Astonishing Member

Jackson is looking so beautiful and epic in all of these covers and concept arts!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Jackson knows when to wear a shirt.
    I'm guessing you're not used to shirtless-ness in the context of sea, beach, and hot climates? It's pretty normal, actually, even if those from more generally temperate to cooler and colder climates may not be used to the normality (and often practical necessity) of it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Jackson is looking so beautiful and epic in all of these covers and concept arts!

I'm guessing you're not used to shirtless-ness in the context of sea, beach, and hot climates? It's pretty normal, actually, even if those from more generally temperate to cooler and colder climates may not be used to the normality (and often practical necessity) of it.
    My problem isn't Aquaman being shirtless, as thats fine and probably some people appreciate it. No my problem is when he goes barefoot. Seriously look at pages of Bendis' Justice League, Arthur is not wearing any shoes and he's just tracking his dirty feet through the hall of justice.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I guess the copyright issues over the name Devil Ray must be over since that was suppose to be Manta's original name. Wonder will Devil ray look like Michael Beach.
    Well, they were able to use Devil Ray in JLU when they couldn't use Black Manta, so I don't think there are any rights issues now.
    I get that. I just don't like Aquaman being shirtless.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    We're going to see the love interest again and we're getting tons of variants. I love it here!

Been reliving some Jackson moments and I really enjoyed this story in Deep Dives.

I really liked the deep dives story mainly the first one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Ummm... I know we are talking about Jackson/Kaldur and his growth which is important but can we take a step back to take note that Jackson is apparently fighting a horde of Parademons in that preview art.

What is going on there, it looks like he’s fighting either on Planet Omega or Apokolips and then jumps into an ocean to go through a portal or something. That is insane and I immediately want to know more.
    Yeah seems a horde of Parademons trying to get him. Jumping in the water is right up his alley so they screwed themselves in following.

Mera's back to her late Abnett-era design?

Can Parademons swim?
    Weren't they underwater before? I feel like they were.

Astonishing Member

My problem isn't Aquaman being shirtless, as thats fine and probably some people appreciate it. No my problem is when he goes barefoot. Seriously look at pages of Bendis' Justice League, Arthur is not wearing any shoes and he's just tracking his dirty feet through the hall of justice.
    ::Insert "Shrug Emoji" Here::

I get that. I just don't like Aquaman being shirtless.
    I dunno, then. Outside nostalgia (and even then, really), I just don't see the issue of what's not to like. And it really does make sense.

Once again... ::Insert "Shrug Emoji" Here::
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-18-2021 at 05:18 PM.

::Insert "Shrug Emoji" Here::

I dunno, then. Outside nostalgia (and even then, really), I just don't see the issue of what's not to like. And it really does make sense.

I’m just saying it’s rude and the janitor for the hall of justice has complained of footprints. And he knows it was Arthur because he’s found grains of sand.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Is it me or is Manta's new costume REALLY similar to his YJ animated costume?

Manta.jpg

Really looks like it on the variant of his book even more so.

I don't know if it's for nostalgia reasons so much as just personal reasons. I have a lot of reasons for disliking it, but probably not appropriate for this thread .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Is it me or is Manta's new costume REALLY similar to his YJ animated costume?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4NQ5hTX...jpg&name=large
    I thought it looked a lot like Phil Bourassa's Manta design.

Spectacular Member

I don't know if it's for nostalgia reasons so much as just personal reasons. I have a lot of reasons for disliking it, but probably not appropriate for this thread .

I thought it looked a lot like Phil Bourassa's Manta design.

Yeah the more angular helmet shape, the fact it looks more like a metal power suit, hell even the red lines on it all really just remind me of Bourassa's design.

I’m just saying it’s rude and the janitor for the hall of justice has complained of footprints. And he knows it was Arthur because he’s found grains of sand.
    blame Cyborg and Swamp Thing, they've been spearheading the no shoes no cloths no problem policy for a minute now. Arthur's just riding the wave, so to speak (yes, I am cackling).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

blame Cyborg and Swamp Thing, they've been spearheading the no shoes no cloths no problem policy for a minute now. Arthur's just riding the wave, so to speak (yes, I am cackling).
    Doesn't Cyborg's feet count as metal boots? I know we're being silly, but still .

Doesn't Cyborg's feet count as metal boots? I know we're being silly, but still .
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

I just feel it's a particular bone to be pickin', is all.

Perennially barefoot characters in fantastical fiction of all kinds is a pretty common design and even characterization and/or narrative aesthetic. And to tie into what I pointed out earlier, it's also vastly more common a real life thing, particularly in warm and humid, hot, and/or tropical or tropical-adjacent climates. Likewise, it's often due to natural practicality. Even Kaldur from Young Justice was always basically barefoot, and the only times he had any real footwear was in his "civvie" clothes, which were always sandals.

And an aside, but depending on where you go/are, it could also be perceived as rude to traipse around in shoes, too, which are often seen and considered to be very filthy. They can track stuff, too. (And often do, really.)

I know this is just for humor, but Cyborg (when designed at his most sleek) and especially Swamp Thing make perfect examples of these kinds of fantastical aesthetics in play and why they make sense and even look and feel cool.

There's a similar vicarious fantasy vibe in Conan and Tarzan-esque characters and stuff. It's just a certain level of unapologetic regal badassness to the aesthetic.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-19-2021 at 11:12 AM.

silly answer: boooots!?!? c'mon now, the League has never really been a place of modesty, they all wear skin tight bright leotards; ya boi is a nudist

serious answer: the relationship between Cyborg and clothes (whether or not Vic need clothes, his ability to be seen as "naked", etc) is a whole thing best saved for his thread.

I just feel it's a particular bone to be pickin', is all.

Perennially barefoot characters in fantastical fiction of all kinds is a pretty common design and even characterization and/or narrative aesthetic. And to tie into what I pointed out earlier, it also vastly more common a real life thing, particularly in warm and humid, hot, and/or tropical or tropical-adjacent climates. Likewise, it's often due to natural practicality. Even Kaldur from Young Justice was always basically barefoot, and the only times he had any real footwear was in his "civvie" clothes, which were always sandals.

And an aside, but depending on where you go/are, it could also be perceived as rude to traipse around in shoes, too, which are often seen and considered to be very filthy. They can track stuff, too. (And often do, really.)

I know this is just for humor, but Cyborg (when designed at his most sleek) and especially Swamp Thing make perfect examples of these kinds of fantastical aesthetics in play and why they make sense and even look and feel cool.

There's a similar vicarious fantasy vibe in Conan and Tarzan-esque characters and stuff. It's just a certain level of unapologetic regal badassness to the aesthetic.
    no I agree with you, the League has all types of heroes in all shapes and sizes. no to mention the aliens and the occasional animal or interdimensional being, practically speaking, some bare beachy feet would be the least of their cleaning worries. I personally don't mind the no shirt no shirts "beach bum" look because it's just a toned down less agro version of the PAD Aquaman, which is the look I was used to from JL/JLU. but that too would be a discussion of another thread.

on Jackson though, I did like getting to see him taking a crack at the PAD/Momoa style Aquaman in Future State. that was such a badass look for him!

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."