Page 38 of 127 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That seems to be an artistic choice or writer directive..."for effect" (Or probably that's just how her silly absorbtion from a distance powers worked...)
    It's been shown countless number of times under Claremont that her "victims" just fall unconscious as when she absorbed Kurt, Colossus, Storm, Val Cooper and even Carol. Juggernaut just "deflated". Physical degradation is not the norm. The Cody incident, being the moment her powers activated would always be the sole outlier.

While it is a far distant future AU possibility that she could develop her powers to "feed" off others and extending her lifespan...knowing how she actually feels about how her powers affects others here in the 616...I don't see her going that route, at all.
    I mean I guess you could argue that but at this point it's happened with multiple creative teams.

Another interesting interaction this time from Carey, Rogue looks visibly sick and aged after the encounter with Pandemic.

Shortly afterwards Rogue deliberately absorbs the entity Hecatomb. Cable outright says she absorbed near 8 billion lives after touching it.

And despite Hetacomb breaking her mind, you can see absorbing those lives has restored her health.

I'm sure I could find more examples if I looked hard enough but I'm not sure it'll matter if you only put significance into what CC portrayed. While I think his portrayal matters a lot, he's not the only one defining the character.

Though I'd argue most of Rogue's absorption during Claremont's run weren't long enough for the effect to have a visibly dangerous effect. The only exception being Carol, who did end up in a coma even if she didn't die. It's also one of the first time Rogue used her powers in that way, so it's expected Rogue didn't outright kill her; though I expect it was a near thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya
    It also means MIND...as in how she's been able to adopt memories, feelings, characteristics like speech patterns from those she touches.

My question on her stealing souls is simply...how and why do those she touch become whole again once they revive? And what happens to the part she took, once she's depleted the power use?
    This is probably in essence philosophical but the mind could be argued to be the soul or part of it. Isn't that sort of how the Krakoan resurrection process works actually? Especially since you need a telepath to complete the resurrection process, otherwise it's just a husk.

That's an interesting question. I think it's rare for her to keep "souls" permanently but it can happen, usually if the encounter is fatal.

I'd argue that if Rogue keeps the absorption, they don't become "whole". We saw how Carol struggled to reconnect emotionally with her memories even as they returned in some respect, so it's clear Rogue took something permanent there. A part of her soul it could be argued.

I'd say Rogue probably releases the mind(s) or soul back into the "ether" or whoever she recently absorbed if she has no use for it or if she gets wiped 'clean' ala Hope. Since it's rare for her to take a noticeable piece, it's not something we've seen happen often. Huh... I wonder if Apocalypse would've been able to be resurrected if Rogue 'held' onto his soul ala Carol.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-06-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

She absorbed Pandemic...of course she will look visibly aged and sick.
    And absorbing those lives in Hecatomb would reverse that effect...it's quite logical.
    But those were both very specific and very extenuating circumstances. And cannot necessarily be a bench mark for how her powers work.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

But it's not just the one instance, we've listed at least 3 in the past couple of posts (4 if count the AU example) all from different creative teams (Tini, Kelly Thompson, Carey, etc...). I think it's pretty clear to me Rogue absorbs life-energy but you are free to interpret it differently.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Of course she absorbs life-energy...it's the reason why her victims are weakened and for the most part fall unconscious. That was never my disagreement.
    Where I clearly differ in my interpretation is the involvement of the soul of the person she's absorbing...their life-essence. And in that sense, I've never seen her in the same category as Selene or Emplate with regards to how her powers work because the intent is very different.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Of course she absorbs life-energy...it's the reason why her victims are weakened and for the most part fall unconscious. That was never my disagreement.
    Where I clearly differ in my interpretation is the involvement of the soul of the person she's absorbing...their life-essence. And in that sense, I've never seen her in the same category as Selene or Emplate with regards to how her powers work because the intent is very different.
    Plue she doesn't need to sustain herself by absorbing energy. She does benefit from it, but doesn't need it to live. Selene and emplate do.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Rogue isn't a "vampiric" type mutant...she does not absorb a person's life-energies or soul. Her powers act specifically on the person's physical traits...ie their powers, their psyche. The effects of the absorbtion is only temporary so in essence she just "borrows" the abilities (as she herself has often said).
    A vampire takes a person blood which is temporary unless they go overboard and kill their victim. Its the same thing with Rogue. Vampiric is an appropriate term to describe whats happening and most people get it in context of her

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    A vampire takes a person blood which is temporary unless they go overboard and kill their victim. Its the same thing with Rogue. Vampiric is an appropriate term to describe whats happening and most people get it in context of her
    Ok now that I read this, I'm thinking more Succubi would be more accurate . It's funny how Succubi is always forgotten in the realm of the Vampire.

She absorbed Pandemic...of course she will look visibly aged and sick.
    And absorbing those lives in Hecatomb would reverse that effect...it's quite logical.
    But those were both very specific and very extenuating circumstances. And cannot necessarily be a bench mark for how her powers work.
    Incorrect. He locked Rogue in a machine and injected/infected her with Strain 88.
    Also Incorrect - Yes she did absorbed the hecatomb but it didn't reverse nothing just brought her to the brink of insanity. Unfortunately Hope was the one who wiped her clean of the hecatomb and strain 88

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by calintz View Post
    incorrect. He locked rogue in a machine and injected/infected her with strain 88.
    Also incorrect - yes she did absorbed the hecatomb but it didn't reverse nothing just brought her to the brink of insanity. Unfortunately hope was the one who wiped her clean of the hecatomb and strain 88
    incorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    incorrect!
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz View Post
    Incorrect. He locked Rogue in a machine and injected/infected her with Strain 88.
    Also Incorrect - Yes she did absorbed the hecatomb but it didn't reverse nothing just brought her to the brink of insanity. Unfortunately Hope was the one who wiped her clean of the hecatomb and strain 88
    Basically yes...

I think we do have a misunderstanding then. If we are both in agreement that Rogue does absorb life-energy that leads to her to being able to weaken, even kill, others and potentially using that vitality as a way to extend her life-span, then what do you consider life-essence? It involves the soul in some way? Or is essence associated with 'feeding'?

Quote Originally Posted by Seccruz
    Plue she doesn't need to sustain herself by absorbing energy. She does benefit from it, but doesn't need it to live. Selene and emplate do.
    I don't think Selene needs to absorb life-energy either. It's more like the circumstances of her birth and early life drove her to believe that it was her right to feed on others. She probably doesn't need to take life-energy to live in the traditional sense... it has let her live thousand of years but it's because that's something she has chosen to do. If she didn't use the life-energy to power her spells, which is what leaves her aged and weakened in a short amount of time, she could probably have lived a perfectly normal 80 to 100 (well likely 30 to 40 during the stone or bronze age that she lived in...) year lifespan.

Emplate I suppose you could make a better case for that, since he does seem to feel an intense hunger that leads him to prey on humans and mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened.
    I agree on the first part, it was the machine rather than Pandemic himself. But I disagree on the second part, absorbing Hecatomb did improve her physical health. There's a difference in her looking aged and sick getting out of the hospital vs how she looks much healthier she appears after absorbing those '8 billion lives' post-absorption. And the nurses during this issue mention that moving around will spread the infection she had, which Rogue does seem to visibly get sicker-looking moving from the hospital to where Hecatomb is rampaging.

Pre-Hecatomb

Post-Hecatomb

I miss the Bachalo and Carey combo. T.T Anyway, I think that was an intentional part from the creative team to show absorbing Hecatomb helped fix one problem, her health, but ended creating another as a side-effect ie her broken mind.

But in other news, some new titles are coming out this year! Very slight chance read very unlikely Rogue will regularly appear in either, but we can hope lol.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-08-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Rogue doesn't absorb souls. Unless one considers the psyche...mind, memories personality traits the soul. She weakens their life energies to the point where they're rendered comatose but that still isn't the same as stealing their actual souls. If that were the case...her "victims" would never be able to recover once that power reverts. The effect may feel similar to what Selene does but it's definitely not the same thing or the same result.

Rogue said she stole a piece of there soul. And depending on what one may consider what compromises there soul i tend to agree. After all wouldn't our soul contain our memories our personality our skills the very essence of what makes us? I believe rogue borrows a piece of everyone she touches soul.
    Last edited by killerbee; 04-09-2021 at 03:13 AM.

Didn't Rogue take everything from Carol? If she stole her soul then Carol would be just an empty husk.

RCO012_1469508181.jpg
    I hope this helps...