Page 50 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

Also welcome Serenada! To the forum and thread.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Some sort of increased physical strength and durability is probably the most common superpower if you look at the genre as a whole.

Lots of people who are not considered to be flying bricks can be. Any powerful telepath/telekinetic can increase their strength and durability. Ditto any magic user or high end energy manipulator.

But Rogue’s power/personality absorbtion always made her unique.

Plus when you have good writers there’s no need to constantly change people’s powers. Do a good job with characterization and put the characters in interesting situations.

I liked Rogue and Gambit a lot better in their solo book than Excalibur, for example.
    I totally agree! Besides Rogue is one of the most famous power/personality stealer in comics and TV.

Hey, happy 50th page to Rogue and her fans!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Welcome, Serenada! You chose a great Rogue pic!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

For me it's more like the 19th page. :P But yes, glad to see the Rogue thread reach 50 pages. It's been a slow start of the year, but I'm glad it's picking up for Rogue!

Anyway a vote recap. I sort ended up counting every mention as a vote, unless they made it clear which was their choice, because it seems like most people have a hard time picking like me. xD

Favorite Team
    1st Place: Supernovas Team & Blue Team (3 votes)
    2nd Place: Outback (2 votes)
    3rd Place: X-Women (1 vote)

Preferred Powerset
    1st Place: Flying Brick (4 votes)
    2nd Place: Solo Absorption (3 votes)

Wait... did we know about Daken yet? What the-

Underrated Writers
    1st Place: Seagle (3 votes)
    2nd Place: Carey (2 votes)
    3rd Place: Christos Gage, Bill Mantlo (1 vote)

Favorite Artist
    1st Place: Olivier Coipel (7 votes)
    2nd Place: Pepe Larraz (4 votes)
    3rd Place: Clay Mann (3 votes)
    4th Place: Jim Lee (2 votes)
    5th Place: Chris Bachalo, Pepe Perez, Adam Kuburt, Paul Smith, Romita Jr (1 vote)

Apologies if I miscounted, was mostly doing this for fun. I'll try to do proper recap later if we get any more replies.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-23-2021 at 06:47 PM.

For me it's more like the 19th page. :P But yes, glad to see the Rogue thread reach 50 pages. It's been a slow start of the year, but I'm glad it's picking up for Rogue!

Anyway a vote recap. I sort ended up counting every mention as a vote, unless they made it clear which was their choice, because it seems like most people have a hard time picking like me. xD

Favorite Team
    1st Place: Supernovas Team & Blue Team (3 votes)
    2nd Place: Outback (2 votes)
    3rd Place: X-Women (1 vote)

Preferred Powerset
    1st Place: Flying Brick (4 votes)
    2nd Place: Solo Absorption (3 votes)

Wait... did we know about Daken yet? What the-

Underrated Writers
    1st Place: Seagle (3 votes)
    2nd Place: Carey (2 votes)
    3rd Place: Christos Gage, Bill Mantlo (1 vote)

Favorite Artist
    1st Place: Olivier Coipel (7 votes)
    2nd Place: Pepe Larraz (4 votes)
    3rd Place: Clay Mann (3 votes)
    4th Place: Jim Lee (2 votes)
    5th Place: Chris Bachalo, Pepe Perez, Adam Kuburt, Paul Smith, Romita Jr (1 vote)

Apologies if I miscounted, was mostly doing this for fun. I'll try to do proper recap later if we get any more replies.
    It was a fun way to pass the time.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

I never understood why Rogue began to act like that in those paneles. Can someone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    I never understood why Rogue began to act like that in those paneles. Can someone explain?
    The Seagle story with Rogue fighting Wolverine? Well it's a dream and Rogue thinks it's her guilty subconscious manifesting as a desire to touch others, regardless of the consequences.

We get several hints to that as well, from offering to touch Joseph to absorb his memories, to her powers being described as a vampire's kiss, to the comparisons to Sauron who has an actual hunger to absorb mutants for their energy. and she outright absorbs wolverine later when he's passed out

I think Seagle is just implying that Rogue has a dark side that she keeps buried and that due to her recent trauma from leaving Gambit in Antarctica, she was at a breaking point. It's too bad Seagle never really got to follow-up on the plot, I thought it was interesting.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-23-2021 at 10:36 PM.

The Seagle story with Rogue fighting Wolverine? Well it's a dream and Rogue thinks it's her guilty subconscious manifesting as a desire to touch others, regardless of the consequences.

We get several hints to that as well, from offering to touch Joseph to absorb his memories, to her powers being described as a vampire's kiss, to the comparisons to Sauron who has an actual hunger to absorb mutants for their energy. and she outright absorbs wolverine later when he's passed out

I think Seagle is just implying that Rogue has a dark side that she keeps buried and that due to her recent trauma from leaving Gambit in Antarctica, she was at a breaking point. It's too bad Seagle never really got to follow-up on the plot, I thought it was interesting.
    It was just bad timing with the Sauron bit...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    It was just bad timing with the Sauron bit...
    Sort of. Sauron was the one who initially attacked Wolverine and left him unconscious but Rogue did end up giving into temptation and stealing a bit of his energy. It's why she felt so guilty and ran away, then tried to get rid of her powers.

This Seagle story is part of why I was grouping Rogue with the likes of Selene. Rogue doesn't need to drain others to live but I do think perhaps she represses parts of herself that could potentially lead her into a path similar to more vampire-like mutants like Emplate. Heck, she might've gone down that path if she stuck with Mystique and continued with the Brotherhood. also that is totally an AU story I would like to read

It's interesting, I like how Seagle portrayed a dark and deeper psychological issue with how near a decade of deprivation of a basic human forms of affection like touch has harmed her mental psyche beyond just the usual outbursts and moping Rogue displayed in the past. Rogue usually internalizes a lot of her trauma but this was very much an external expression of it.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-24-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I remember reading that Seagle arc and...not liking it. Because everything Rogue has been through to that point to establish herself as a bona fide X-Man and hero...it seemed ill-conceived that she'd want to just give it up like that. Such a reaction and decision seemed to be something a much younger and inexperienced Rogue would do...not the Rogue who willingly sacrificed herself in FotM.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-24-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I don't like the "willing to give her powers up" part because it seems like giving up. It's part of why I hate X-Men: The Last Stand, even if realistically it might be what a lot of people in her situation might do.

I did like the almost villainous twist to her trauma. Remember this was post sharing a night with Gambit and then leaving him to die after finding out about his role in the Mutant Massacre, she wasn't in a good headspace.

I love goody two shoes Rogue, she's one of the most believable villain-to-hero stories in the MU. However I do find it odd she never regressed at all in her entire history. Like Gambit, she didn't exactly have great role models in her life so I think exploring that could have been interesting but that's just my take.

Not being in a good headspace I can understand but...to decide to give up her powers and in that manner? That just did not sit well with me.
    I greatly appreciate that she is one of (if not the only) a very few villains-turned-hero who has never regressed. That speaks to great strength of character.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Not being in a good headspace I can understand but...to decide to give up her powers and in that manner? That just did not sit well with me.
    I greatly appreciate that she is one of (if not the only) a very few villains-turned-hero who has never regressed. That speaks to great strength of character.
    Yea it has this unsettling feeling. No matter how you view a part of yourself, it's still you. To reject something like that is part of your identity like that almost reads like conversion 'therapy'.

It's not an entirely fair comparison, as this is something that is debilitating to the character in a very distressing way but still.

I like and dislike that she never regressed. I like that she's got a good sense of who she is. Even heroes who were never really been villains go on the bend more than her, like poor Polaris or Jean. It's just part of Rogue's history that I think should be acknowledged more and explored more beyond references or flashbacks. It's an entire 6 to 7 years of her life before the X-Men and who knows how long Mystique had her active as a villain really. I feel like we're missing a lot of potential connections there.

Actually wait what is the commonly accepted age that Mystique took Rogue in? In some depictions it seems like like she was a really young child while others she's more adolescent.

She joined the X-Men when she was 17-18...? So....adolescent, after her powers kicked in after the incident with Cody.

I think Claremont did a really good job establishing her credibility and journey from villain to hero in her initial and early appearances interacting with the X-Men from issues #171 right through to #200 and beyond.