Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

d4dg49a-e2f176d0-b9dd-42ba-a51b-a0f8505442dc.jpg
    Celebrating Rogue's first stint as leader of the X-Men.
    Original here: https://www.deviantart.com/christoph...2tBb0IlaJRiXmE
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Pretty cool, even if it's not my favorite uniform for her. Really, I like a lot of the redesigns from this era
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Pretty cool, even if it's not my favorite uniform for her. Really, I like a lot of the redesigns from this era
    Jean won the uniform lottery during that era.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Jean won the uniform lottery during that era.
    Agreed. It was so good!
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    d4dg49a-e2f176d0-b9dd-42ba-a51b-a0f8505442dc.jpg
    Celebrating Rogue's first stint as leader of the X-Men.
    Original here: https://www.deviantart.com/christoph...2tBb0IlaJRiXmE
    I liked this uniform, simple and elegant. I liked the uniforms from this period and Neo as villains too, especially Domina , I thought she was a good adversary for Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by sbo View Post
    I liked this uniform, simple and elegant. I liked the uniforms from this period and Neo as villains too, especially Domina , I thought she was a good adversary for Rogue.
    She was. Especially as someone who can take her oponents' powers and use the as her own.

Oh adversaries for Rogue is a good topic. She hasn't had many... or at least where it's more personal.

VARGAS

Notable for being one of the few villains who significantly injured multiple X-Men (Beast got turned into Kittybeast; Rogue and Gambit lost their powers for awhile) and killed one (Psylocke) and basically got away with it. Vargas was built up as a significant threat but few writers seemed to care about him and he was eventually killed off-panel during Carey's run.

In terms of personal connection to Rogue, I do find him somewhat interesting. He's basically a mirror for what Rogue did to Carol in trying to kill a preemptive threat. I'm surprised CC didn't make more parallels with a younger Rogue with his situation beyond Rogue telling him not to get "trapped" by the Dairies.

I don't know if I buy a peak level human being able to defeat Rogue and Psylocke, though. I think he should have been established as a human but that uses tech to enhance his physical abilities.

Oh well, I'd like to see him back and it'd be relatively easy to since off-panel deaths are so ambiguous. I think he still has a lot of untapped potential, especially for Rogue if you draw upon that comparison more visibly. A villain that becomes obsessed with killing you because he paranoidly believes one day you'll hurt him? It's why humans hate mutants in a nutshell tbh. And could deliciously become a self-fulfilling prophecy if he annoys Rogue enough...

Also I think Vargas could even more relevant right now since the franchise has become less mutant vs mutant than mutant vs human vs machine. As well as Destiny being used more, you'd think Moira would be more interested in finding more of the Diaries.

PANDEMIC

Basically what if Rogue used her powers for evil scenario. An evil scientist who wanted to become immortal but who acted more like a collector and "gotta catch em' all" with powers. I suppose a story could be used for this guy joining one of the many anti-mutant organizations with the information he's collected of the X-Men over the years? He's currently powerless so they'd have to get him to somehow recreate the serum he used to obtain her abilities.

TBH I think he's one of the weaker villains Carey introduced during his X-Men / Legacy run. As he was written he's more like a less interesting looking Mr Sinister, so I'd recommend if they ever pick him up again for him to get a huge "makeover" in terms of design and personality.

In terms of potential threats, he's a huge one though (and got taken out in a very dumb way lol). I think if he was written more like the Sylar to Rogue's Peter Petrelli, he could be an interesting villain.

BLINDSPOT

The least "villainous" of the three but still choatic. She caused Rogue to perma-absorb Sunfire and has a habit of making everyone around her forget her. I think Blindspot has potential as a villain for Rogue that she has to fight strategically against, in a non-physical way, sort of like how Luthor is to Superman most of the time. Someone who will manipulate things behind the scenes instead of directly confronting Rogue herself. They could also expand on her powers to be more adversarial but her base powers can cause problems if Blindspot does it on select people or on a wide-enough scale. Imagine Blindspot resetting villains to their past selves to cause havoc on Krakoa? Or Blindspot making Gambit forget about Rogue? Her powers have potential for all sorts of interesting situations.

Also like Vargas, Blindspot seems to have connection to Rogue through Destiny as Destiny warned Rogue to stay away from her. It's also sort of implied she might be attracted and/or obsessed with her? Either way, more drama for Rogue if she were to ever join Rogue's personal rogue's gallery.

Other notable villains

The Children of the Vault are both an impersonal and personal villain(s) for Rogue. Rogue is the X-women they've had the most contact with so far and both times they miserably failed trying to fight her. I'm sure their pride is hurt but it seems like Hickman is co-opting them into a more general X-villain threat.

Mystique sometimes mother dearest and sometimes the biggest pain in Rogue's behind. Raven has a habit of getting nosey and very personally involved in Rogue's private affairs. Shooting, stabbing, and trying to steal her man; there is no bar Mystique will not go under if she thinks its for Rogue's own good. In the grand of scheme of things, Mystique is a more general villain and more recently ally than not though. Rogue and Mystique have made their peace... for the moment.

Belladonna as a personal Rogue villain is a bit of a stretch, as she is more connected to Gambit than Rogue but there is nothing like an ex-wife scorned. It also was not too long ago she was shooting Rogue in the back, so one never knows with her. I think Bella Donna works better as a reluctant ally or supporting cast than as a villain for Rogue though I could see her going against Mrs Lebeau if they ever go against the Assassins Guild business.

Those are the only memorable one's off the top of my head. For all that she's been in publication for 40 years, Rogue hasn't made a ton of personal enemies in her time. As bad as it sounds, I'd actually like that to change lol. It's more interesting for Rogue to have villains who have a connection with her.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Oh adversaries for Rogue is a good topic. She hasn't had many... or at least where it's more personal.

VARGAS

Notable for being one of the few villains who significantly injured multiple X-Men (Beast got turned into Kittybeast; Rogue and Gambit lost their powers for awhile) and killed one (Psylocke) and basically got away with it. Vargas was built up as a significant threat but few writers seemed to care about him and he was eventually killed off-panel during Carey's run.

In terms of personal connection to Rogue, I do find him somewhat interesting. He's basically a mirror for what Rogue did to Carol in trying to kill a preemptive threat. I'm surprised CC didn't make more parallels with a younger Rogue with his situation beyond Rogue telling him not to get "trapped" by the Dairies.

I don't know if I buy a peak level human being able to defeat Rogue and Psylocke, though. I think he should have been established as a human but that uses tech to enhance his physical abilities.

Oh well, I'd like to see him back and it'd be relatively easy to since off-panel deaths are so ambiguous. I think he still has a lot of untapped potential, especially for Rogue if you draw upon that comparison more visibly. A villain that becomes obsessed with killing you because he paranoidly believes one day you'll hurt him? It's why humans hate mutants in a nutshell tbh. And could deliciously become a self-fulfilling prophecy if he annoys Rogue enough...

Also I think Vargas could even more relevant right now since the franchise has become less mutant vs mutant than mutant vs human vs machine. As well as Destiny being used more, you'd think Moira would be more interested in finding more of the Diaries.

PANDEMIC

Basically what if Rogue used her powers for evil scenario. An evil scientist who wanted to become immortal but who acted more like a collector and "gotta catch em' all" with powers. I suppose a story could be used for this guy joining one of the many anti-mutant organizations with the information he's collected of the X-Men over the years? He's currently powerless so they'd have to get him to somehow recreate the serum he used to obtain her abilities.

TBH I think he's one of the weaker villains Carey introduced during his X-Men / Legacy run. As he was written he's more like a less interesting looking Mr Sinister, so I'd recommend if they ever pick him up again for him to get a huge "makeover" in terms of design and personality.

In terms of potential threats, he's a huge one though (and got taken out in a very dumb way lol). I think if he was written more like the Sylar to Rogue's Peter Petrelli, he could be an interesting villain.

BLINDSPOT

The least "villainous" of the three but still choatic. She caused Rogue to perma-absorb Sunfire and has a habit of making everyone around her forget her. I think Blindspot has potential as a villain for Rogue that she has to fight strategically against, in a non-physical way, sort of like how Luthor is to Superman most of the time. Someone who will manipulate things behind the scenes instead of directly confronting Rogue herself. They could also expand on her powers to be more adversarial but her base powers can cause problems if Blindspot does it on select people or on a wide-enough scale. Imagine Blindspot resetting villains to their past selves to cause havoc on Krakoa? Or Blindspot making Gambit forget about Rogue? Her powers have potential for all sorts of interesting situations.

Also like Vargas, Blindspot seems to have connection to Rogue through Destiny as Destiny warned Rogue to stay away from her. It's also sort of implied she might be attracted and/or obsessed with her? Either way, more drama for Rogue if she were to ever join Rogue's personal rogue's gallery.

Other notable villains

The Children of the Vault are both an impersonal and personal villain(s) for Rogue. Rogue is the X-women they've had the most contact with so far and both times they miserably failed trying to fight her. I'm sure their pride is hurt but it seems like Hickman is co-opting them into a more general X-villain threat.

Mystique sometimes mother dearest and sometimes the biggest pain in Rogue's behind. Raven has a habit of getting nosey and very personally involved in Rogue's private affairs. Shooting, stabbing, and trying to steal her man; there is no bar Mystique will not go under if she thinks its for Rogue's own good. In the grand of scheme of things, Mystique is a more general villain and more recently ally than not though. Rogue and Mystique have made their peace... for the moment.

Belladonna as a personal Rogue villain is a bit of a stretch, as she is more connected to Gambit than Rogue but there is nothing like an ex-wife scorned. It also was not too long ago she was shooting Rogue in the back, so one never knows with her. I think Bella Donna works better as a reluctant ally or supporting cast than as a villain for Rogue though I could see her going against Mrs Lebeau if they ever go against the Assassins Guild business.

Those are the only memorable one's off the top of my head. For all that she's been in publication for 40 years, Rogue hasn't made a ton of personal enemies in her time. As bad as it sounds, I'd actually like that to change lol. It's more interesting for Rogue to have villains who have a connection with her.
    This is a great list! I know on the thread talking about solos that having a major adversary or a specific job was considered a hallmark for making them work.

Another minor adversary could be Lavish from the Rogue and Gambit miniseries. It appears that she got away. Could she be on Krakoa? Is she looking for help ... or revenge?

Then from her Uncanny Avengers days, I'm trying to think of who the big bads all were? She made a pretty big enemy of Red Skull, if he or his followers were to come back. Possibly also The Black Order, even though Corvus Glave's death didn't stick.

VARGAS

PANDEMIC

BLINDSPOT

Other notable villains

Add that scientist from the Black Panther crossover and Warbird from Reed's run on Ms. Marvel and it's a complete set for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    This is a great list! I know on the thread talking about solos that having a major adversary or a specific job was considered a hallmark for making them work.

Another minor adversary could be Lavish from the Rogue and Gambit miniseries. It appears that she got away. Could she be on Krakoa? Is she looking for help ... or revenge?

Then from her Uncanny Avengers days, I'm trying to think of who the big bads all were? She made a pretty big enemy of Red Skull, if he or his followers were to come back. Possibly also The Black Order, even though Corvus Glave's death didn't stick.
    Corvus' death was epic

BANNED

Rogue by Ingrid Gala. This looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post

Rogue by Ingrid Gala. This looks good.
    Great looking Rogue!

if only she had the curly hair.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

Yep! Interesting villains are one-half of what makes a good solo book. Rogue has some potential with that, if a writer ever dug deep enough lol. If Rogue were to get another solo, I'd really like for her take up on the Dairies again. I knew the way Xtreme ended warned against it but it'd give her a strong concept focus that is relevant to Krakoa right now. with mystique as supporting cast

True Lavish is another one they could pick up on to use.

Red Skull is definitely not her biggest fan lol. Not sure how he'd tie in a Rogue book though, since he's usually been very Avenger affiliated. Though that he almost never gets involved in mutant affairs is kinda weird. You'd think he'd be an equal opportunity hater. But yeah outside of him I can't think of many memorable UA villains who'd take a personal interest in Rogue. Maybe Grim Reaper? She'd murder him with her powerset though and she technically already did so once.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz
    Add that scientist from the Black Panther crossover and Warbird from Reed's run on Ms. Marvel and it's a complete set for me.
    I'm blanking on a scientist in a BP crossover. Do you mean during Milligan's run?

Ohh yea the Warbird double could be fun. IIRC she made it her mission to kill Rogue's in various dimensions. So she should be pretty dangerous. I'd definitely be interested in seeing a rematch. Though an evil doppelganger of a co-worker always going after you should be so awkward for Carol... xD

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It went from two on either side to a centre streak, to bangs...so it's probably dyed (or her secondary mutation).
    I prefer a natural centre-streak, too. It was more interesting and distinctive visually. (the Bangs are so boring).
    I also wish they would go back to her initial auburn colour rather than brown.
    The one thing Singer's X-MEN did right by the character Rogue is giving the streak an origin.

The closest I think we have in canon is from the ROGUE series from the early '00s, during the "Forget Me Not" arc, Tony Bedard wrote it as dyed and explained the change back and forth from single stripe to double stripe and a meta nod to how inconsistent her appearance of age was back in her early days.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-18-2021 at 07:09 AM.

VARGAS

PANDEMIC

BLINDSPOT

Other notable villains

Yes I love all those. Don't forget about Astra and the good ol' creepy High evolutonary scientist. I'm sure that guy ain't done with studying Rogue, let alone what Astra has planned. If written well Rogue could have her own solo. Just keep Carol away from it.