Page 82 of 127 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1891

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    That's a perfect analogy and honestly I like this version of her powers in control, because it has some cost and keeps the power creep under check and differentiates her from Synch and Hope. They're more likely to use their powers with teammates but have limited solo abilities and she's more likely to use absorbance against enemies and sparingly with teammates, while relying on her flying brick skills.

And I agree 100%, sassy trash-talking Rogue is the Rogue we deserve.

I think Tini thought she was giving us that, but it didn't hit right about 80% of the time.
    Agreed, Rogue should be applying her absorption abilities in a different way to the other two and hopefully Duggan displays that. That said, Duggan rarely used her absorption in his UA run, so I get a feeling we'll get way more of her using flying bricks powers.

I have a little more faith he'll be able to do Rogue's humor though.

Hard same. It's killing me slowly.
    I think it'll happen eventually, question is when? I guess after Inferno ends is the biggest opportunity in the near future. *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax
    ChronoRogue i love your post, but this time you are a little wrong. She can take the powers doing damage or without doing damage, and can suppress the power of taking vital energy.
    Remember that was the second time she used her powers with control of her. Even she used them like in the old days. Dhe had no practice she only knew how to deactivate the absorption and activate it.
    Although she then she learned fast.

If we learned anything from legacy it is that she actually has 5 basic powers based on absorption. Not one how many people assume. I think it is obvious they are different powers with different effects although they are all based on absorption.

And she with control she learned to separate all these powers.
    I agree that she can take powers without effectively doing much damage to the person she is borrowing from, it's why I compared the controlled version of the absorption to a blood draw. Those don't typically hurt... very much anyway.

But it can still exhaust and weaken the person if done for too long. Most of the time Rogue took powers in Legacy from teammates they were brief touches so if we take that in mind, it's different from how long she held Trance in the above example. I posted that panel to show that her abilities are still intertwined together (specifically the vitality drain and power mimicry) even at full control, unlike what I had assumed. I would argue she probably also does absorb memories as well, even if she does not consciously acknowledge them, because it's apart of how she forms the psychic copies in her head.

The power negation is really the only tricky part and probably the most inconsistent. Maybe we can think of it like a cup full of water, in this case the water being a persons abilities? If Rogue only borrows a small percentage, they'd still have access to most of their abilities, compared to if she took a big gulp of water where they would not be able to access their abilities? I am not sure myself, unfortunately Carey did not clarify this aspect of the transference. As always thinking up the theoretical ideas behind a power, is going to vary across writers and be up to interpretation a lot.

Just like Rogue's fashion sense in the 80s, Marvel paying attention to their own continuity is hit n miss.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

I agree that she can take powers without effectively doing much damage to the person she is borrowing from, it's why I compared the controlled version of the absorption to a blood draw. Those don't typically hurt... very much anyway.

But it can still exhaust and weaken the person if done for too long. Most of the time Rogue took powers in Legacy from teammates they were brief touches so if we take that in mind, it's different from how long she held Trance in the above example. I posted that panel to show that her abilities are still intertwined together (specifically the vitality drain and power mimicry) even at full control, unlike what I had assumed. I would argue she probably also does absorb memories as well, even if she does not consciously acknowledge them, because it's apart of how she forms the psychic copies in her head.

The power negation is really the only tricky part and probably the most inconsistent. Maybe we can think of it like a cup full of water, in this case the water being a persons abilities? If Rogue only borrows a small percentage, they'd still have access to most of their abilities, compared to if she took a big gulp of water where they would not be able to access their abilities? I am not sure myself, unfortunately Carey did not clarify this aspect of the transference. As always thinking up the theoretical ideas behind a power, is going to vary across writers and be up to interpretation a lot.

Yes Chrono agreed about Trance you're right.
    But how I told you that was because Rogue had no experience at all. And how I mentioned it was the second time she used her powers in control of her and Trance took damage from the start.

That's why I tell you she was increasing her capacity and control of her .. To the point that she could separate all her powers, and choose specifically what she used to absorb her. Or the absorption of power, absorption of minds, absorption of vital energy or all at once.There in a trance Rogue was too new.

In later issues it was seen that she did no harm if she didn't want to, and her powers were just as strong in her and sometimes stronger in Rogue.

How I said measure sometimes in numbers you will realize this. Rogue's absorption powers were several actually. And Rogue learned to separate them.

The clearest examples that I remember now are the following.

1) Rogue took various powers from the xkids to kill predator x. And the powers were stronger on Rogue, and the x kids took no harm at all.

2). Rogue with Emma's clones. Rogue absorbed almost all of the 3 cuckos powers and stayed with them for hours much longer than Trance's. And she didn't do them the slightest bit of harm, this was deep absorption. And she didn't hurt them because she didn't use the life energy taking power.

And Rogue did not deplete these powers she showed that she left them depowered and Rogue then returned the powers to the three clones, many hours later.

3) xmlegacy 250. ROGUE used only her mental absorption power to scan all legion personalities. She did not use the power absorbing power, nor the life energy absorbing power. In other words, she already knew how to separate the powers of absorption from her.

4) also in xmlegacy 250 she used the power of mental absorption to probe Rachel's mind and did not take her powers or life energy from her. No telepathy of the xmen could access Rachel's mind only Rogue.

5). In aofx Rogue to the Dying mutants took all of her memories but decided for some silly reason not to keep her powers. Here's another show that she learned to separate her powers and was selective.

6) in AofX also Rogue says it clearly when she took the power of kitty. She took her powers but not any thoughts because she considered it an invasion of her privacy, and clearly she did not take life energy either.

7) in Avsx is when we saw her use the vital energy intake to leave kO the avengers.

8) also in avsx she gave bobby a half second touch, and bobby took no damage, and it was not a superficial absorption because she was left with the duplicate powers for quite a long time the same as what happened with the power of the clones of emma.

9) with Exodus she, with a light touch, stole all of her teleportation power, Exodus could no longer use that power until Rogue decided to give up hers. In other words, she left him depowered from that power. She went quite deep because she took all of that power away from Exodus in one stroke. And she did not use with him neither the power to take psyches nor vital energy.

10) she on the planet that magik left her. She was shown taking the complete minds of the two antagonists and Rogue conversed with the two inside her mind. This facet was very interesting.

11) In UA when she took the full power of all the heroes on earth she was a super deep ( and full) absorption. So deep that all the heroes were powerless, but she did not use the life energy intake. Because they were all conscious and he did not hurt any of them. And they were all literally depowered, and they were hundreds of heroes.

I'm sure that in legacy especially at the end of Mcarey's career and especially in Gage's career that she was more powerful and less fussy about exploring her powers.
    There are many more examples than these. But I think these are the most specific what I remember.

That said, keep in mind that he was just exploring all the new capabilities of his powers. She was in a learning phase. And he showed quite a few new things. And the most relevant I think she made it clear was not just one power that Hope and synch had ... but that Rogue has several powers based on absorption. And she learned to separate them. And she was getting better at it.

Agreed, Rogue should be applying her absorption abilities in a different way to the other two and hopefully Duggan displays that. That said, Duggan rarely used her absorption in his UA run, so I get a feeling we'll get way more of her using flying bricks powers.

I have a little more faith he'll be able to do Rogue's humor though.

Just like Rogue's fashion sense in the 80s, Marvel paying attention to their own continuity is hit n miss.

I love that story lol.
    The fashion of the 80s was funny. And it reminds me of the episode where homer shoots makeup at Marge lol.
    But our girl still looks beautiful.

I also think the same Duggan adores Rogue is evident is her favorite character. But he only develops his personality and her flying brick powers. It is seen that it is what he likes the most about Rogue. And although I personally like the absorption powers of it more, and I would like to see a balance in the use of it. I'm also not complaining if he doesn't use them as much Duggan, because he knows how to write Rogue very overpower with flying brick powers. Still now that she has control again I would like to use them a little more. Or let him use them XD at UA only used them once in Duggan's career.

That is why I am so picky about Synch being there.
    While he is there, it will be the power imitate and Rogue will be the flying brick, although I hope I am wrong and this time Duggan has a perfect balance with Rogue's powers, a balance that Kelly Tompson showed marvelously.

DUGGAN writes an incredible Rogue but if I wait now he also explores her absorption powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylermax
    I'm sure that in legacy especially at the end of Mcarey's career and especially in Gage's career that she was more powerful and less fussy about exploring her powers.
    There are many more examples than these. But I think these are the most specific what I remember.
    The thing with those examples is, it's hard to tell what she is taking or not. Just because she steals some life-essence or memories, does not mean the person automatically has to fall unconscious or that Rogue needs to comment on the memory. In particular with memory, Rogue usually did not comment regarding an absorption or mind unless it was tied to the plot when CC was writing it. In the same way, Rogue could do both those things without comment in those examples. It just depends on the amount.

Even just laying a hand on someone for a long period isn't necessarily proof she is trying to drain a huge amount, like with Legion or the Cuckoos, because she has control. She could be siphoning off extremely small amounts and trying to be precise, so it shouldn't (in theory) hurt the person at all.

I do agree however that Rogue was learning and getting better at controlling her powers during Legacy, I'm just not sure any of those examples outright contradict what Carey originally stated especially since it was the same writer who set up that statement. It'd seem strange for him to contradict himself like that. though it does happen at times

DUGGAN writes an incredible Rogue but if I wait now he also explores her absorption powers.
    Same here. I think the most boring option is just having Rogue do all the flying brick duties instead of having both use their full abilities in different ways. Here's hoping!

Excited for tomorrow! Just one more day till we get some classically written Rogue.

Excited for tomorrow! Just one more day till we get some classically written Rogue.

Indeed. I just hope Duggan gets to play with her absortion powers a bit too. Looking forward to seeing her going at full power under Duggan's pen. She was poisoned last time. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Indeed. I just hope Duggan gets to play with her absortion powers a bit too. Looking forward to seeing her going at full power under Duggan's pen. She was poisoned last time. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    I'm cool with him using her absorption powers, but I really appreciate that Duggan goes all in with Rogue in the flying brick mode.

If she gets knocked through a building or 2 (or 3), and beats the tar out of someone in every issue I'd be totally happy with that.

Hmm... early spoilers

spoilers:
    Rogue doesn't get to do much more than shown in the previews and also probably has the least amount of screen-time/focus in the issue of all the main cast. I'm a bit disappointed that the rest of the action seen is done by a giant metal gundum construct instead of the team itself. I suppose it qualifies as a "curcuit" but feels a bit too on the nose, with the EVA-like antagonist. As mentioned in some review(s), most of the issue shifts between setting up future villains more specifically a new character called Kevin Heng, High Evolutionary, and a rather obscure villain by the name of Cordyceps Jones. I kinda wish he'd just settled on one for the first arc and run with that. High Evolutionary IMO since thats the more interesting one to me

Overall, it's a decent issue but for a Rogue fan it lacks anything special. I trust Duggan but this is a like a 3/5 for me. Wish the subplots were sprinkled later on in the arc, but I suppose since it's only a year he wanted these set up earlier.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sbo View Post
    I'm cool with him using her absorption powers, but I really appreciate that Duggan goes all in with Rogue in the flying brick mode.

If she gets knocked through a building or 2 (or 3), and beats the tar out of someone in every issue I'd be totally happy with that.
    Oh, for sure! Today was a fun day!

spoilers:
    I liked Rogue and Lorna's interactions
    It reminded me of their bond in Austen's run
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

She was only really used as the brick, but boy was that fun anyway! She still felt like herself to me. Then again maybe anything is better than her blandness in Excalibur.

I'm sure she'll get a lot of development. Seems pretty obvious Duggan is a big fan, and if he got to pick any character to be in this book, it was probably Rogue.

Also, was that foreshadowing when Rogue and Polaris interacted? Seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    She was only really used as the brick, but boy was that fun anyway! She still felt like herself to me. Then again maybe anything is better than her blandness in Excalibur.

I'm sure she'll get a lot of development. Seems pretty obvious Duggan is a big fan, and if he got to pick any character to be in this book, it was probably Rogue.

Also, was that foreshadowing when Rogue and Polaris interacted? Seems like it.
    Yep
    Apparently he said he wanted to use Rogue and Tini said no problem (luckily for us)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Yep
    Apparently he said he wanted to use Rogue and Tini said no problem (luckily for us)
    Oh nice to see that confirmed. Thanks. I was assuming it so because he wrote her so well in Uncanny Avengers.

Astonishing Member

Yep
    Good it wasn't like Tini was doing anything with Rogue in her book anyway lol

Yep
    Thank God. Her Rogue was completely dull.

BANNED

Okay, I'm confused... Who's absorbed powers is Anna Marie using for strength and flight this time?
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-07-2021 at 03:15 PM.