Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Wow, was this issue fantastic. Epic in scope and great storytelling. I especially loved the side story of the boy at the pyre. They literally pause the plot to tell you this story in the middle of the book, but it works so well. Lesser writers would not be able to pull that off so effectively but the story is not only compelling but also may become relevant to the plot.

The action scene at the beginning is very good, and shows Ikaris to be a powerful fighter without diminishing the threat of the opponent.

As someone with virtually no familiarity with these characters, to see them now I feel like I already know some of them well. This is great stuff.

Astonishing Member

So if Thanos and Starfox aren’t true eternals, then presumably the excluded 2 initially thought to be them aren’t

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Wow, was this issue fantastic. Epic in scope and great storytelling. I especially loved the side story of the boy at the pyre. They literally pause the plot to tell you this story in the middle of the book, but it works so well. Lesser writers would not be able to pull that off so effectively but the story is not only compelling but also may become relevant to the plot.

The action scene at the beginning is very good, and shows Ikaris to be a powerful fighter without diminishing the threat of the opponent.

As someone with virtually no familiarity with these characters, to see them now I feel like I already know some of them well. This is great stuff.

I agree. I knew this was going to be good because Gillen is a great writer but so far it's exceeding my expectations.

Extraordinary Member

Just like i original thought/said before.
    Sersi has been racebent in the 616 comics too.
    She is racially asian.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    She is racially asian.
    We all saw in coming. Same with female Sprite.

Phastos is more likely gay as well.

And in this issue Kingo looked more Indian than Japanese.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed this issue better that the first. The machine narration and the characters dialog didn't always flow smoothly in the first issue, so at time it felt jumbled. This issue didn't have those problems.

Gillen have managed to set an Epic tone for this book.

I can’t wait for the next chapter.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe it’s the art, but is Sprite a little girl now, or non-binary?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Maybe it’s the art, but is Sprite a little girl now, or non-binary?
    Is a little girl now. In issue 1 it's explained that occasionally Eternals change of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    She is racially asian.
    But she retained her classic personality. I feel like MCU Sersi will be empathetic and kind, which is very different from comics Sersi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    But she retained her classic personality. I feel like MCU Sersi will be empathetic and kind, which is very different from comics Sersi.
    Yeah, I'm going to be disappointed if she's not the glamorous spitfire she is in the comics.

BANNED

So Alars and Suisan are alive on Earth?
    But they were excluded and in hibernation?

I like the idea of Kronos and Uranus are kind of the dark lords of the Eternals.

Astonishing Member

I think the exposition and data pages trying to build up the Excluded suggests that Gillen will likely end the first arc with all the Excluded Eternals being released from their hibernation and the following arcs and stories having the Eternals dealing with the consequences of this or trying to lock them back up.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-11-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

It’s been a week, so I’m ready to share my Eternals issue 2 thoughts and review:

This issue is absolutely beautiful. From the confirmation that the Earth is the great machine, who also is the narrator of this book, to the tale about Ikaris’ meeting the young boy, and his life waiting for his “god” to return, just amazingly good stuff. I wish the fight with Thanos had been a bit longer, and Ikaris really should be upped in power, so the fight should have been a little less one-sided, but it was good. Sersi 😍😍😍 is finally back. She’s scheming, and while I understand why people want her carefree party girl persona to come back, I actually enjoyed her portrayal here. It’s only one issue, and there’s a plot going on with many factions. The Hickman-esque information page detailing the history of the Eternals is wonderful for those who aren’t well versed in Eternals mythology. Ribic’s art is as beautiful as ever, and while I’ve heard complaints about the faces, I’m okay with it. Not everything needs to be stereotypical comic beauty standards. The art evokes images of LotR, GoT, and other mythological dramas. It’s ethereal, and ephemeral to behold. Almost like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands. I definitely recommend this issue to any and everyone.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Also—I know Gillen said we’ll just have 100 Eternals, but I feel he’s going to introduce a whole new group of Titans, to expand the cast of only 100, and adding allies/antagonists that aren’t specifically Deviants.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

All-New Member

exclusion.jpg
    So..
    K..kronos?
    SP...sprite?
    U..Uranus?