Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 540 of 606
  1. #526
    Incredible Member strathcona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Owl View Post
    How do people here feel about the retcon that Eternals can’t have biological children now? I’m not a fan but I’m wondering how others feel about it.
    I was quite surprised at how much I liked this issue. Gillen managed to make his idea that Eternals can't have kids work quite smoothly with existing continuity (though I do wonder where Starfox comes in though). It also makes Mentor's leaving earth make more sense too.

    What I didn't like is the potential wiping of the Eternals' minds when they are Reborn (I understand that this isn't Gillen, but Gaiman). It just seems like too easy an out.

    I also have to ask. When did Thanos kill Mentor? This isn't the first time I've seen it referenced that make it seem like it was long ago and Mentor had been dead/in exclusion since. But he has a long history of living on Titan and interacting with many in the MU.

  2. #527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I was quite surprised at how much I liked this issue. Gillen managed to make his idea that Eternals can't have kids work quite smoothly with existing continuity (though I do wonder where Starfox comes in though). It also makes Mentor's leaving earth make more sense too.
    I wondered about Eros too. We know that he is the younger brother of Thanos and that he is the son of A'Lars and Sui-San. So either he was conceived the same way as Thanos (which makes Eros an Eternal that is not connected to the Machine like Thanos) or he was made from A'Lars and Sui-San's DNA in a different way (which makes him a Nephilite and not a true Eternal). Ultimately, Gillen showed that he was aware of Starfox when he wrote the Thanos naming scene so I think that this is something we will come back to down the line. Starfox is currently dead anyway, so he has to be resurrected somehow if he is to be relevant to a present day story.

    Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    What I didn't like is the potential wiping of the Eternals' minds when they are Reborn (I understand that this isn't Gillen, but Gaiman). It just seems like too easy an out.
    It's actually a bit more complicated than that. I don't think mind wipes happen every single time an Eternal is resurrected. When Ikaris came back to live both times in Gillen's run, he remembered how he had previously died.
    I think mind wipes only happen when the Eternal has gone horribly off-programming or has learnt something that they should not know. Then the Uni-Mind come together to make the decision to resurrect the Eternal while wiping their Personal Memory.
    There is a really nice data page in Eternals 6 that shows how the consciousness of an Eternal is programmed and what happens during resurrection.

    Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I also have to ask. When did Thanos kill Mentor? This isn't the first time I've seen it referenced that make it seem like it was long ago and Mentor had been dead/in exclusion since. But he has a long history of living on Titan and interacting with many in the MU.
    Yeah, the story makes it sound like it happened a long time ago but it was actually very recent development - Thanos killed him in Thanos Vol 2 2, which came out in December 2016. It was a very poor story in my opinion, but then again I'm not a big Thanos fan so I can't speak for them. In universe, A'Lars would only have been dead (actually trapped in Exclusion) for about a year or so before the point where Gillen's run begins.

  3. #528
    Beware! Daedra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Less edginess and more like the ongoing is just continuing what the Gaiman mini established more than 15 years ago including all the implications of the Eternals being hardcoded with the directives of the Celestials. But it's interesting that most posters that criticize the ongoing's ideas aren't cognizant that these ideas are more than a decade ago.
    I have collected every eternals appearance in the last 50 years and I’m well aware of the way Gaiman tried to shape these characters but this does not in any way justify the decision to select these elements and turn the dial up to eleven, no one forced Gillen to keep pushing on the “robot” narrative, there is such thing as “too much ketchup on the french fries” ……
    Last edited by Daedra; 09-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

  4. #529

  5. #530
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default



    Eternals 8
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • ESAD RIBIC (A/C)
    HEADSHOT VARIANT COVER BY TODD NAUCK
    MCU VARIANT COVER BY LEONEL CASTELLANI
    MCU VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS WAHL
    Eternals and Deviants have been at war for a million years. Our Eternals have had enough. They want to live in peace, alongside the Deviants. The Deviants have other ideas. Meanwhile, Thanos is Prime Eternal and, to everyone's surprise, puts into action a series of sensible policies for the good of all. There is a lie in this solicit. You may be able to spot it.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

  6. #531

  7. #532
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default


  8. #533
    Extraordinary Member vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    “What excited me is the idea of going back in time, and exploring [the time] before Thanos was born, before anyone was born. Where does the MCU go back in time? that brings us to the mythology of the Celestials.”

    — Chloé Zhao on the excitement of #Eternals.
    Probably not before Bor fought the Dark Elves, though...

  9. #534
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default


  10. #535
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default


  11. #536
    Incredible Member Malachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    723

    Default

    The Thanos issue was ok. Very little Thanos. It felt restricted. Like the story wasn’t given any room to breath.

    The parts I was looking forward too was mostly glossed over(Thanos childhood)or ignored(Eros).

    Sui San was suppose to be skrull impersonating when Thanos was born. Explaining his chin.

    The quantum bands haven’t been explained much. Only that they are associated with Eon and Infinity. Or more precisely they are used by Eons protector of the universe and that Quasar was infinity’s champion. So plenty of room to work with on them.

    In general I appreciate these stories that expand the mythology and build on characters. This issue just needed something else to break up the flow.

  12. #537
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default


  13. #538
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The Thanos issue was ok. Very little Thanos. It felt restricted. Like the story wasn’t given any room to breath.

    The parts I was looking forward too was mostly glossed over(Thanos childhood)or ignored(Eros).

    Sui San was suppose to be skrull impersonating when Thanos was born. Explaining his chin.

    The quantum bands haven’t been explained much. Only that they are associated with Eon and Infinity. Or more precisely they are used by Eons protector of the universe and that Quasar was infinity’s champion. So plenty of room to work with on them.

    In general I appreciate these stories that expand the mythology and build on characters. This issue just needed something else to break up the flow.
    Where was it reavealed that the Sui San that got with Mentor was a Skrull?
    If that were true, she would have laid an egg, not give birth to him as a baby.

  14. #539
    Time Police BishopsJuice91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    VABATL
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    They can have children (with humans and deviants). They are just not Eternals. There's only 100 Eternals due to the machine and the Celestials. It ultimately makes them more distinct. For Eternals to succeed it needs to emerge from the shadows of other Kirby creations like Inhumans and New Gods.
    This, I’ve become a bit of a fan recently and I like the idea of them not being able to create new Eternals it’s just an awesome concept because look what happened…

  15. #540
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    21,675

    Default




    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Where was it reavealed that the Sui San that got with Mentor was a Skrull?
    If that were true, she would have laid an egg, not give birth to him as a baby.
    In Earth X 9997 Trilogy in Universe X ONE SHOT X
    Last edited by juan678; 09-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •