Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Definitely seems like there's more to her than being a "wife" or Linda Cardellini.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Maybe she was Clint's handler back in the day and that is how they met and fell in love.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    To be fair, they're also spoilers:
    re-adapting Madame Masque without retconning Agent Carter, so I think there's room for both of them in the MCU. It's probably a long shot, but it'd be cool to see Laura and Bobbi fighting side by side.
    end of spoilers
    Yes, but spoilers:
    Marvel Studios staff, including Feige, worked on Agent Carter. AoS not so much.

If Laura Barton's real name is something other than Laura Barton the one that makes the most sense is that it's Bobbi Morse
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

All this stuff has me worried about Bobbi. Not sure where that show is going to go, or what it's establishing, but hopefully it doesn't a have negatively impact on Mockingbird.

Really worried that it could end up similar to the whole Janet/Hope situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    All this stuff has me worried about Bobbi. Not sure where that show is going to go, or what it's establishing, but hopefully it doesn't a have negatively impact on Mockingbird.

Really worried that it could end up similar to the whole Janet/Hope situation.
    I think the difference is that Janet was a founding Avenger and was featured fairly regularly in team books and in Avengers group shots until recently, whereas Bobbi (in her 50th year) has only had 2 cameo appearances this year and has basically only shown up for very short arcs in event minis (and Agents of Wakanda, but even then it was only 2 issues at a time) until then. She has nowhere to go but up at this point.

And since I doubt they would introduce Laura or any new Mockingbird into the 616 universe, I'm thinking it might be more of a Nadia/Hope situation. Not an exact parallel, of course, since Nadia didn't exist before Hope, but Nadia got a push in the comics to go along with Hope. Hopefully, Bobbi would get that same kind of push in the comics if they decided to follow through on the theories.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    I think the difference is that Janet was a founding Avenger and was featured fairly regularly in team books and in Avengers group shots until recently, whereas Bobbi (in her 50th year) has only had 2 cameo appearances this year and has basically only shown up for very short arcs in event minis (and Agents of Wakanda, but even then it was only 2 issues at a time) until then. She has nowhere to go but up at this point.

And since I doubt they would introduce Laura or any new Mockingbird into the 616 universe, I'm thinking it might be more of a Nadia/Hope situation. Not an exact parallel, of course, since Nadia didn't exist before Hope, but Nadia got a push in the comics to go along with Hope. Hopefully, Bobbi would get that same kind of push in the comics if they decided to follow through on the theories.
    Yeah, I know Bobbi wasn't as prominent as Janet was. However, what I'm worried about is that they will introduce a Laura that could become "Mockingbird". I guess it wasn't exactly clear in my post.

Maybe they wouldn't do something like that, but I wouldn't put it past them, and for a character like Bobbi, who doesn't really get the time of day, I fear it'll hurt the character. All speculation of course, but a reasonable concern IMO.

I mean, there's no way they're going to randomly insert Clint's family into the comics so I don't think anything they do with his wife would effect Bobbi since she'd basically be like Zendaya's "MJ."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, there's no way they're going to randomly insert Clint's family into the comics so I don't think anything they do with his wife would effect Bobbi since she'd basically be like Zendaya's "MJ."
    Well since they inserted Laura from the Ultimate comics to begin with, and we didn't get much of a backstory for her there, the MCU kind of has whole cloth to work with so to speak. And hopefully that needn't negate anything concerning MCU or MCU-adjacent characters that are already established.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

I hope Laura isn't Mockingbird. Bobbi deserves better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I hope Laura isn't Mockingbird. Bobbi deserves better than that.
    I would only appreciate on the level as a fan of the Hawkeye/Mockingbird relationship, but I would rather have a full-fledged Bobbi as well.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't see why both aren't possible Linda Cardellini can probably learn stunts if Renner can at his age

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Well since they inserted Laura from the Ultimate comics to begin with, and we didn't get much of a backstory for her there, the MCU kind of has whole cloth to work with so to speak. And hopefully that needn't negate anything concerning MCU or MCU-adjacent characters that are already established.
    (With the HAWKEYE finale now available on streaming, I suppose we have our answer about Mockingbird/Agent19 in the MCU...no spoilers here, they are out there if ya want em.)
    Did we never see a version of MOCKINGBIRD in the Ultimate Universe? I remember we had (at least) 2 versions of Black Widow, but no love for Bobbi?

Also going back to the Chelsea Cain volume of MOCKINGBIRD series...aside from the Phantom Rider retcon, which is understandably problematic on many levels, how was the series overall? Worth picking up?

Jim McCann's revival of Mock in the HAWKEYE AND MOCKINGBIRD series is still my gold standard for the modern use of the character.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    (With the HAWKEYE finale now available on streaming, I suppose we have our answer about Mockingbird/Agent19 in the MCU...no spoilers here, they are out there if ya want em.)
    Did we never see a version of MOCKINGBIRD in the Ultimate Universe? I remember we had (at least) 2 versions of Black Widow, but no love for Bobbi?
    No, we never had a version of Bobbi in the Ultimate Universe. I guess it was probably because she'd been dead for at least a decade when the Ultimate Universe was created, so she wasn't at the forefront of the creators' minds.

Also going back to the Chelsea Cain volume of MOCKINGBIRD series...aside from the Phantom Rider retcon, which is understandably problematic on many levels, how was the series overall? Worth picking up?

Jim McCann's revival of Mock in the HAWKEYE AND MOCKINGBIRD series is still my gold standard for the modern use of the character.
    The Cain run is very entertaining. It has a lot of good punchlines and jokes, and it's a good first look at Bobbi, to get new readers interested in learning more about her. It touches a lot of her background as a scientist, as well as her relationships with Dr. Calvin and with Clint. It's definitely not immune to criticism, but I think it's worth reading.

The first arc of Cain's run was good. Exploring the experimental serum Bobbi was given was great, and appreciated. However, the next three were fun but middling, and obviously created that awful, and poorly thought out retcon. It's a short run, so it easy to read the whole thing, but I'd only really recommended the first volume "I Can Explain".

McCann's Bobbi was so great. I really wish we could see his return and try to do something with Mockingbird.

Remember when they rebooted Lance Hunter into the AoS version? And he only appeared in, like, two issues .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The first arc of Cain's run was good. Exploring the experimental serum Bobbi was given was great, and appreciated. However, the next three were fun but middling, and obviously created that awful, and poorly thought out retcon. It's a short run, so it easy to read the whole thing, but I'd only really recommended the first volume "I Can Explain".

McCann's Bobbi was so great. I really wish we could see his return and try to do something with Mockingbird.
    I think that is an issue with a lot of writers...they have an idea for a good start but no real long term plan for the characters. Editorial should really ask writers "what's your outline for the next 3 years?"