Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

It's confirmed. Laura Barton is Agent 19, which means she's the official MCU Mockingbird. Agents of SHIELD is pretty much an Elseworld at this point.
    https://www.cbr.com/hawkeye-finale-w...e-mockingbird/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's confirmed. Laura Barton is Agent 19, which means she's the official MCU Mockingbird. Agents of SHIELD is pretty much an Elseworld at this point.
    No, it doesn't mean that.

Laura Barton is Agent 19, which means she was an Agent of Shield with the number 19.

In comics, Mockingbird is Shield Agent 19 and married Clint. Clearly, this is meant as a reference to her. But nothing said "Laura Barton is Bobbi Morse AKA Mockingbird!"

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe she's in some witness protection program and they changed her name, but technically she isn't Bobbi Morse. If they don't include Agents of Shield at some point, it would be a shame, but not surprising.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    No, it doesn't mean that.

Laura Barton is Agent 19, which means she was an Agent of Shield with the number 19.

In comics, Mockingbird is Shield Agent 19 and married Clint. Clearly, this is meant as a reference to her. But nothing said "Laura Barton is Bobbi Morse AKA Mockingbird!"
    Thank you...I wish people would stop taking one little thing (19) and blowing it all out of proportion to mean so much more. Since this is probably the last time we are seeing Clint ans his family I really hope she is NOT Bobbi...so that we can get Bobbi in the future.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hopefully they'll address the 19 thing eventually. They did it intentionally, and they have to be aware that fans would connect that number to Bobbi. They could have easily picked any number and just had Laura being a former SHIELD agent, but picking 19 is clear nod to Bobbi Morse.

Maybe they are splitting elements of Bobbi's character in two with the AOS Bobbi, and now Laura. Or maybe Laura is Bobbi in hiding. Mockingbird faked her death, with Fury I believe, to protect her family, so maybe they're drawing elements from that.

I wish someone would ask about Bobbi. No one ever seems to bring her up when they interview Feige.

Adrianne Palicki's character on AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. was Bobbi Morse..but was she ever referred to as "Agent 19" designation much less "Mockingbird"? I don't recall anything other than "Barbara" which she hated and "Bobbi" which she preferred.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Hopefully they'll address the 19 thing eventually. They did it intentionally, and they have to be aware that fans would connect that number to Bobbi. They could have easily picked any number and just had Laura being a former SHIELD agent, but picking 19 is clear nod to Bobbi Morse.

Maybe they are splitting elements of Bobbi's character in two with the AOS Bobbi, and now Laura. Or maybe Laura is Bobbi in hiding. Mockingbird faked her death, with Fury I believe, to protect her family, so maybe they're drawing elements from that.

I wish someone would ask about Bobbi. No one ever seems to bring her up when they interview Feige.
    I will be very surprised if they ever clarify it beyond the nod/acknowledgement.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Agent 19 is an Easter Egg. It isn't saying that she's Bobbi Morse (and the show technically never said she was Mockingbird and certainly never said she was Agent 19).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Agent 19 is an Easter Egg. It isn't saying that she's Bobbi Morse (and the show technically never said she was Mockingbird and certainly never said she was Agent 19).
    They said it was her watch though and it had the number 19 on it. The fact that Barton married her too…. It’s fair to assume it is her though.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    They said it was her watch though and it had the number 19 on it. The fact that Barton married her too…. It’s fair to assume it is her though.
    The watch says she's Agent 19. It doesn't say she's Bobbi Morse. It's an Easter Egg. It's no more saying that she's Mockingbird than it's saying Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The watch says she's Agent 19. It doesn't say she's Bobbi Morse. It's an Easter Egg. It's no more saying that she's Mockingbird than it's saying Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin.
    Unless we see a Mockingbird, I think it’s safe to assume it’s her as that’s Bobbi’s codename.

Extraordinary Member

Unless we see a Mockingbird, I think it’s safe to assume it’s her as that’s Bobbi’s codename.
    This is where I'm at as well

It looks like Laura Barton is a Decomposite Character (elaborated at TV Tropes here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ematicUniverse), like a number of other MCU characters.

I would guess that Marvel Studios doesn't want to officially canonize the earlier TV shows, but they also have no interest in angering fans by officially de-canonizing them, either. So they deliberately gave us an ending that could be interpreted both ways.

As far as I see it, the same way that Agents of SHIELD had a character called Lance Hunter who was Bobbi's love interest and incorporated some elements of comics Clint Barton, so too the Hawkeye show has a character called Laura Barton who's Clint's love interest and incorporates some elements of comics Bobbi Morse. It doesn't actually matter whether AoS and Hawkeye take place in the same universe, because the existence of one of these "decomposite characters" doesn't preclude, nor does it imply, the existence of the other one. Since the target audience of the MCU isn't comic book readers, we can't assume that just because something is associated with one character in the comics, therefore it is in the MCU.

Now that I think of it, doesn't "Bobbi Morse" sound like it would be a psudeonym for a spy?

The intersection of these 2 articles makes a good case for why Laura =/= Bobbi because of the Agent 19 reveal. Also interestingly enough, when the character that evolved into Bobbi Morse first appeared, she was a brunette in comics...so lots of wiggle room to be had in adapting the Agent 19 and Mockingbird concepts as separate if so desired in the MCU.
    https://www.cbr.com/mockingbird-bobb...shield-retcon/
    https://www.cbr.com/hawkeye-laura-ag...RdLzYdjI2lL9ZQ