Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, would be cool if the faceplate was optional and he used it during battles but not everywhere you see him.
    I agree. Having it be part of his "armoring up" for when he's at work and possible have the lines or just the red eye in off hours mode.

The often one-sided narrative he usually presents in regards to Geoff Johns makes me wonder if this was as big of a deal as he makes it out to be. What was the context behind bringing up that particular topic. Was Johns foolish enough to try to assert his knowledge of the black community over a black person himself, or was he speaking as a creator who had written the Cyborg character for years. Hope we learn something more.

This is beside the point but the way this was even brought up was appalling. Someone posted a pic of Johns about how outraged they were that he was promoting Superman & Lois and then tagged Fisher and the former Superman & Lois writer who's been outspoken for being fired from the show after pushing for more diversity, which had nothing to do with Johns. These people were purposely trying to stir **** up so they can try to use it against "the snake" afterwards. No need to even mention one of them being outraged about Johns arguing with Ray about black masculinity, and then proceeding to bodyshame Johns in the tweets. lol These people are idiots.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-25-2021 at 06:16 AM.

These ppl are far from Idiots and what they did needed to be said.. Because Johns & others who think like him don’t understand it & won’t ever understand it doesn’t make the criticism less correct and unvalid because more often than not these are the type of people who are usually put on projects Either are lacking in their portrayal or incorrectly portray black and other non-white characters all while acting like no what best..

Geoff Johns has a limited perception of black characters = water is wet. i figured that from Doomsday Clock and his John Stewart work. not to take anything away from him, as he wrote a decent Jakeem and Mr Terrific 20 years ago from what I hear. though, admittedly, I am surprised he'd be obnoxious enough to tell black creators/artists how black people feel about black portrayals.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-25-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    These ppl are far from Idiots and what they did needed to be said.. Because Johns & others who think like him don’t understand it & won’t ever understand it doesn’t make the criticism less correct and unvalid because more often than not these are the type of people who are usually put on projects Either are lacking in their portrayal or incorrectly portray black and other non-white characters all while acting like no what best..
    Sure, it's not idiotic to be a toxic stan who purposely tries to stir **** up because someone they don't like gave an interview about a TV show they're producing. It's not idiotic to get mad at someone for supposedly arguing with another person about how their own community perceives their self-image, right after mocking that same person for how they look like. Nothing idiotic at all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-25-2021 at 09:31 AM.

[nah I'ma leave it be]
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    [nah I'ma leave it be]
    I wish you didn't. I'm interested in your point of view about this.

Ultimate Member

Geoff Johns has a limited perception of black characters = water is wet. i figured that from Doomsday Clock and his John Stewart work. not to take anything away from him, as he wrote a decent Jakeem and Mr Terrific 20 years ago from what I hear. though, admittedly, I am surprised he'd be obnoxious enough to tell black creators/artists how black people feel about black portrayals.
    What is obnoxious about?

Black Panther fans are NOT allowed to have an opinion. John Stewart fans have had to deal with it. Cyborg fans have dealt with it.
    We are constantly told to shut up.

We are not allowed to express opinions. If you are writing a crappy Cyborg in say Justice League New Orleans-I am NOT going to buy it. That does not mean I should be LECTURED on how to be a fan. Not by folks who have called writers everything under the sun about how they write THEIR favorites.

This is beside the point but the way this was even brought up was appalling. Someone posted a pic of Johns about how outraged they were that he was promoting Superman & Lois and then tagged Fisher and the former Superman & Lois writer who's been outspoken for being fired from the show after pushing for more diversity, which had nothing to do with Johns. These people were purposely trying to stir **** up so they can try to use it against "the snake" afterwards.
    THANK YOU. This issue with Cyborg (and pretty much various POC characters) is nothing NEW.

Walker and Sempter Jr tried to address it in Cyborg's book.

Fantastic Member

Is anyone surprised by this? At all? Cyborg forums have been saying this since 2011.
    And when people have tried to address it (Walker and Sempter) Johns pretty much chased them away from the book. I want to like Cyborg. Heck, I DO like him, and I want better for him, but I'm not about to sit here lamenting on what could've been, when I could be celebrating what we have right now, and what's still to come.

Ray fisher deserves better than what's been happening to him, and Cyborg deserves a writing staff that actually cares about him as a character and potential franchise. Whatever. I'm gonna go rewatch Black Panther while I wait for Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I might even watch a few Luke Cage episodes, and stream some Miles Morales gameplay. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wish you didn't. I'm interested in your point of view about this.
    I'll say this, I don't follow the Ray Fisher story because it ain't nothing new. everyone knows black people (and people of color at large but most visibly black people) get fucked over in these industries. the things Ray Fisher has said sounds not only plausible but about par for the course for the toxic racial cultures of both comics and film. hell, even the reactions from fans isn't surprising. again, everybody knows, but often times when a person of color speaks out the allegations are tend to be chalked up to being a clout thing, they're bitter, they're difficult to work with, etc etc; so I tune out. even if what's being said is true, as far as I can tell, there is a marginal chance it will move the needle in these workplace cultures (even if I'm rooting for a change). if he's telling the truth and does some good, I'm here for it, if he's cappin and exaggerating for the clout but still forces this very necessary conversation to be had, shame and good on him too. industry racial politics that I can't see is just harder for me to open my self up to debate on.

as for these allegations against Johns, well, I'm got a huge Geoff Johns guy tbh. I enjoyed his GL work, even if his John was lacking, but i haven't been big on his later stuff (*traumatic flashbacks of Doomsday Clock*). again, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true that Johns has a weirdly limited perception of black characters and the black experience; just surprised that he'd be one of those types that would try to tell black people about black people or how to "black".

although I'll give Johns one thing, he did have John Stewart say one of my favorite old "brotha" (I wanna say a different word) sayings, even though he kinda butchered it.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-25-2021 at 10:38 AM.

currently following:

the castration conversation on Cyborg is a different beast in and of itself, removed from the Ray/Geoff situation. I have thoughts on it but nothing particularly original.

currently following:

I'll say this, I don't follow the Ray Fisher story because it ain't nothing new. everyone knows black people (and people of color at large but most visibly black people) get fucked over in these industries. the things Ray Fisher has said sounds not only plausible but about par for the course for the toxic racial cultures of both comics and film. hell, even the reactions from fans isn't surprising. again, everybody knows, but often times when a person of color speaks out the allegations are tend to be chalked up to being a clout thing, they're bitter, they're difficult to work with, etc etc; so I tune out. even if what's being said is true, as far as I can tell, there is a marginal chance it will move the needle in these workplace cultures (even if I'm rooting for a change). if he's telling the truth and does some good, I'm here for it, if he's cappin and exaggerating for the clout but still forces this very necessary conversation to be had, shame and good on him too. industry racial politics that I can't see is just harder for me to open my self up to debate on.

as for these allegations against Johns, well, I'm got a huge Geoff Johns guy tbh. I enjoyed his GL work, even if his John was lacking, but i haven't been big on his later stuff (*traumatic flashbacks of Doomsday Clock*). again, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true that Johns has a weirdly limited perception of black characters and the black experience; just surprised that he'd be one of those types that would try to tell black people about black people or how to "black".

although I'll give Johns one thing, he did have John Stewart say one of my favorite old "brotha" (I wanna say a different word) sayings, even though he kinda butchered it.
    Fair enough man. Portrayals of diverse characters, as well as the (mis)treatment of poc in the industry in general is an important conversation to have, I just wish it was during better circumstances than how this particular topic started. Now that I think about it though, what is "better circumstances" really. Given that more than half a million Americans are dead because of a global pandemic, lord knows people don't need to deal with this kind of **** too while going to work every day in these times. Any kind of small step, even if I disagree with the way twitter stans tend to go about stuff like this, feels like a necessary step in the long run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    Is anyone surprised by this? At all? Cyborg forums have been saying this since 2011.
    And when people have tried to address it (Walker and Sempter) Johns pretty much chased them away from the book. I want to like Cyborg. Heck, I DO like him, and I want better for him, but I'm not about to sit here lamenting on what could've been
    , when I could be celebrating what we have right now, and what's still to come.

Ray fisher deserves better than what's been happening to him, and Cyborg deserves a writing staff that actually cares about him as a character and potential franchise. Whatever. I'm gonna go rewatch Black Panther while I wait for Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I might even watch a few Luke Cage episodes, and stream some Miles Morales gameplay. I dunno.
    Actually...not jus the portion of your comment in bold but all of this .

We are awash in entertainment options currently. When i select an entertainment option that i'm going to imbibe it needs to reflect my interest (and to a lesser extent my values) because i'm *paying for it*. If "I" (fans *and WRITERS* of the Cyborg character ) keep telling you that we would like some changes made to the character that would prove beneficial, subtle or not, and you (DC) keep telling me "No." that tells me that you don't have need of , nor value, my purchase.

Which is fine (and revealing).

DC's intellectual property with vast potential can continue to flounder with regard to sales and interest and i will continue to pay for other entertainment options and create my own product.

If DC is truly a profit driven company publicly traded (Time Warner is their parent company) they'll eventually stop insisting on their perspective being the correct one and listen to paying fans and former writers of the character. It benefits them financially.

I check this thread occasionally to see if DC has stopped insisting the direction they've taken the Cyborg character is correct despite what fans have consistently brought up for over a decade.
    Don't complain. Create.

“I’m not broken...and I’m not alone