Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    They were derailed because they did not intend to give him an actual proper push. If they did, they would not have introduced Kyle in the first place and had John take over in the 90s when he seemed like the most logical choice. He's getting a push now because the current management clearly likes him, while Cyborg isn't because they clearly don't. It's kind of messed up that the fate of some of your favorite characters is always dependent on whether they serve the personal or corporate interests of the higher-ups but that's just how it is.
    Yet people say capitalism is a meritocracy, especially when it comes to minorities

Incredible Member

Can't and no should not be in our vocabulary. We must have faith and push on despite the obstacles.

They were derailed because they did not intend to give him an actual proper push. If they did, they would not have introduced Kyle in the first place and had John take over in the 90s when he seemed like the most logical choice. He's getting a push now because the current management clearly likes him, while Cyborg isn't because they clearly don't. It's kind of messed up that the fate of some of your favorite characters is always dependent on whether they serve the personal or corporate interests of the higher-ups but that's just how it is.
    This ain't the John Stewart thread. That axe can be ground elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It's not about the TT or anyone else overshadowing Batman, its how Batman is pushed at the cost every other IP DC has.
    I'm responding to two specific posts arguing that there was a correlation between Batman being pushed and Cyborg and the rest of the Titans not being as prominent. That's ridiculous. Even at the absolute height of Teen Titans mania when the original TV show was doing gangbusters ratings on Cartoon Network, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy were nowhere in the stratosphere of Batman's popularity. There are a lot of things that can be said about DC's poor handling of the Cyborg push and the mishandling of the Titans franchise as a whole, but suggesting it's out of fear that the Titans wills surpass Batman is absolutely absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This ain't the John Stewart thread. That axe can be ground elsewhere.
    I'm not doing that so you might want to start reading my comments more carefully.

I'm not doing that so you might want to start reading my comments more carefully.
    I read the comment and I've read the similar comments you've written in the JS thread and other related Green Lantern ones. Some variation of the "It's sad that you can't like John without tearing down others" or making that accusation against DC seems to be a popular topic of discussion. It's just usually about Hal Jordan rather than Cyborg. If that wasn't your intention here then all good.
    Last edited by Holt; 07-11-2021 at 11:53 AM.

I merely responded to a comment that claimed John Stewart didn't get a proper push in the past because of "backlash from certain portions of fans" when he didn't get a push because management did not want to give him that push, similar to how they don't seem to want to keep pushing Cyborg now. It wasn't intended to come off as axe grinding.

That's not on them in this case. He's being marginalized because the actor publicly vowed to never work with the company again unless Walter Hamada was fired, and that ain't happening anytime soon. So it was either drop the character or recast, the latter of which would've just been a further PR dumpster fire (imagine the **** storm Fisher would be able to raise up by claiming he was fired and replaced for calling out workplace abuse).

Maybe they'll recast in a few years when the head has died down.
    He has since backed down and indicated that an apology might be enough. Still unlikely to happen since an apology could be seen as an admission of guilt in a legal sense and WB wouldn't want to open themselves up to that.

Niffleheim

How did y’all feel about Justice League Odyssey? I’m almost done with first trade and I must say i'm loving everything about it. Was this an ongoing or a mini series?
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    How did y’all feel about Justice League Odyssey? I’m almost with first trade and I must say loving everything about it. Was this an ongoing or a mini series?
    Disliked it, everyone got shafted to push Jessica Cruz.

Incredible Member

How did y’all feel about Justice League Odyssey? I’m almost with first trade and I must say loving everything about it. Was this an ongoing or a mini series?
    The "bait and switch" was extreme in my opinion. It started off with some promise and was worth buying until every characters development was sidelined for ....a green lantern (Jessica Cruz). It may have been the 2nd worst example of bait and switch i've ever experienced as a comic reader.

The positive is the direction Justice League Odyssey took after it shifted to Jessica Cruz made me eliminate virtually all DC product from my "pull list" and i've saved a lot of money that i would have other wise spent on DC product
    Don't complain. Create.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Disliked it, everyone got shafted to push Jessica Cruz.
    What?!!!!! She wasn't even part of Darkseid's alleged prophecy. Thanks there is no point getting the other trades then.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.

What?!!!!! She wasn't even part of Darkseid's alleged prophecy. Thanks there is no point getting the other trades then.
    yeah, when the creative teams switched the new writer appeared to be less interested in a space Justice League or whatever Williamson had in mind and more interested in doing a Guardians of the Galaxy type of thing with Jessica and an entirely different cast of characters that clearly weren't who the series was pitched for. it's a solid story for Jess and her cast, had that been the initial premise it would've been more than fine, but the way they shelved Cyborg, Starfire, and Azrael was pretty shitty and kinda disrespectful to both fans of these character and the initial creative team's vision.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Frankly it's a bit pathetic. DC needs to do better all around promoting PoC heroes yet can't even promote the most well-known one.
    There’s no excuse why Cyborg didn’t have an ongoing right out of the gate when the new 52 started out. It’s incredible how badly dc dropped the ball with him.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I've posted this before but I feel this sums it up nicely.

Ultimate Member

I've posted this before but I feel this sums it up nicely.

Funny thing with that is Aquaman and WW also took backseats to Hal, Barry, Clark & Bruce in the merchandise.

I would have thought Justice League was just those 4 with the amount of merchandise I saw that excluded the others.

Hot Wheels put out Justice League (comic version) cars of just those 4. The other only got movie versions.

Party City had JL stuff and guess which 3 were not there?

Justice League (comics not the movie) did valentines- why am I see Jose Lopez Garcia and George Perez era art? With Old school Catwoman, Batgirl and Supergirl and not Cyborg?

You know there is an issue when you see John Stewart version and 70s version of JL in stores than the New 52 version with everybody.